Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much ??

Options
  • 16-08-2006 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

I have a hole 2 inches deep, 7 metres long and half a metre wide. How much gravel should I order to fill it.

Sorry I never was the best at maths

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I would stick with all metric if you are calculating.
    2"= 50mm
    7000*500=3500
    3500*50=1.75m3
    order 2 metres to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Thanks CJ nice to hear from you from beyond the grave

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Am I missing something here? 7mx0.5mx0.05m is 0.175m3. Right?

I think you will have way too much in 2m3. A half dozen 25Kg bags from woodies should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

:o MY mistake wrong decimal place.
    Sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Right, first of gravel is sold by weight not by volume. Both esitmates are wrong, as neither converted from volume to mass.

Gavel has a density of 2000-3000 kg/meter cubed.

You area is .175meters cubed meaning you need at the max 525kg of gravel and a minimun of 350 kg's of gravel.

take the average of that is 437.5kg
    thats 17 and a half 25kg bags of gravel.

Crushed stone has a lower density then gravel, and thus would cover a wider area for the same weight. It might work out cheaper.

btw before someone attacks me, unless the gravel or stone is specified by type I can't give anything mroe then a loose range. Gravel used in concrete is usually quoted at the 2500 mark. while crushed stone is around 1500.

• Advertisement

Right 500kg of gravel it is - but I wont be going to Woodies the rip off merchants. Local builders providers have worked out alot cheaper in the past.

Thanks everyone

should cost yea in the region of 40 euros from a builders providers.

Thank Carnivore - seeing as you have done everything else so far, is there ant chance you will deliver and lay it for me

I've done that far too many times.

Advertisement