Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Professional Acting Full Time

Options
  • 16-08-2006 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi, After much,much,much thought I have decided to pursue a full-time career in acting,I ahve dropped out of College(psychology) as i was never content knowing if i didnt try i wouldnt know, am starting a full time course in performing arts(acting) and a couple of evening class as well for camera etc,has anybody got any experience in pursueing a career in this area full-time or know of some-one!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well first of all get an agent, and make sure that they get you auditions to at least get to meet some people in the business, if not to get you working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I do. What do you want to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Deanopride

What is the best way to perfect your skills and potential, do you do Theatre and film,tv. What is it like. Are looks and physique a major part as i work out quite extensively but i want to rely on my acting skills to get me good parts. I know a lot of people go to the UK to get work, what do you think and finally what would be the main pieces of advice you would give to a newbie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

An agent is key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Deanopride wrote:
    What is the best way to perfect your skills and potential, do you do Theatre and film,tv. What is it like. Are looks and physique a major part as i work out quite extensively but i want to rely on my acting skills to get me good parts. I know a lot of people go to the UK to get work, what do you think and finally what would be the main pieces of advice you would give to a newbie.

Ok. There are differences on each side of the atlantic and I know both of them. Im going to answer your questions in the context of the Irish/UK path of this profession.

First of all, a lot of it is luck and you have to hang in there. It can be a despairing and painful way to make a living because you need to withstand a lot of rejection and to do that you need a lot of faith and belief that you are the exception. So dont give up.

Secondly, yes looks and physique are important. Theatre and film are visual media but that doesnt mean you have to be a stud muffin. There are plenty of character roles out there. You may not be a leading man but thats ok. As for fitness, yes very important on two levels. One to look good but also for stamina, which theatre way more than film demands. Live performance is physically very demanding so you need to stay fit. [This is far more an American ethos and I dont think its as practised in Ireland]. For film you need to know how to act for a camera. You also need to know your body and face inside and out. Self-awareness is key.

As for skills, film and theatre require different ones. Theatre is more demanding because you need to emote through space and your voice needs to be trained to reach different parts of audiences throughout venues small and large. The best thing to do is stay active - take classes do what you can- you learn by doing. Read lots of theory. Read biographies of actors and directors whose work you admire. Learn learn learn. Art is a discipline like any other craft.

Watch people around you, study their faces, their body language, as an artist your main role is the OBSERVER. Make your art part of your life and vice versa.

As for professional opportunity, imo there is more going on in England and English agents will fight harder for you than Irish ones do, where its like a cartel among theatre companies. And get professsional headshots.

Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

^ This is very good advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Deanopride

Excellent, Thank you metrovelvet, sound info and much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Thursday*

And I would add - go to shows.
    Go to open auditions, if you hear about them - the Abbey used to do them.

Remember if you talk to a director/producer/casting agent/company, they might remember you and give you a call if they have work. And if you work with them, they might give you more work.

And if you need to do a day-job type thing, if you need to do something else for money, try and do something related, to keep working within the business.

Advertisement