Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Relief?

Options
  • 16-08-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭

Hello!
    I'm living in my current place about 2.5 yrs and I'm thinking of sending in those Rent 1 forms to get my rent relief. The only thing is, I don't have my landlady's PPS number but i've heard you can apply without it. I'm not sure if she is a registered landlady although when we moved in it was through a lettings agency and we have a very comprehensive lease and everything. She's a nice lady who we very rarely see and pay by direct debit every month. I'm just worried that the revenue will ring her up looking for her PPS number and as she's a bit old she might be confused and annoyed about all that if she's not registered. So i guess the question is; am i entitled to rent relief if she isn't registered and, if she is, can they process the application without getting in touch with her?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

You could check with the Private Tenancies Residential Board- to see if she is registered (this would not mean that she is not necessarily paying tax on the income). At the end of the day the easiest thing might be to have a quiet word with her to see how she is set.

You do *not* need her RSI number to claim tax relief (which will in any case be limited to about Euro 250 per annum- perhaps someone could post the exact figure please?)

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

Hi,

I was just wondering, if I want to claim back on this rent relief (Rent1 Form) can I do this if my parents rent the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cantona92

I just posted about this in 'Business, economy & finance' probably the wrong place. I am looking to claim rent relief as I paid my mum rent each week for three years, so yes i couldnt see it being a problem claiming from your parents property. Everyone is entitled to it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

That's what I taught. One of the lads I play poker with said this to us a few weeks ago, he send off his and got back €1200. I asked him did his parents own the house and he said no they rent it. So it's possible to do this if your parents rent the house.

Cool :) I just wanted to be 100%

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

€330pa is how much you can currently claim back.(for tax year 2006)

You can't claim tax relief on something you don't pay for so if he is renting the house from his parents then he can claim but if his parents are renting the house well then they claim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement