Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of painting house

Options
  • 16-08-2006 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

How much should I expect to pay to get the followign painting done on a 1700 sq ft 4 bed semi.

Walls & Ceiling in
    living room (big bay window)
    dining room (Open arch to Living room)
    Sunroom (2 openings to kitvhen and Dining room and 2 walls of 80% window) (3 velux in ceiling)

Walls & Celing in
    hall stairs and landing. Big enough hall. Not huge.

White gloss over architraves
    3 downstairs door frames (not the doors)

Can anyone put me in the right ballpark. Had a painter come over today and he is going to quote me. I would love to know if it the quote is reasonable when it comes.

All the walls have been stripped of wallpaper back to plaster and are in 'good condition' according to the painter we had over today.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Hi Hughm,
    I got a flyer from these folk through the door - I don't know much about them but they seem v cheap www.university-painters.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hi hughm, I've just sent you a PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 kerry2004

did you gete that quote yet I am interested as I will be painting a house in a couple of months

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭hughm

Should get it tomorrow. Will post amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@ hughm

I know it might be a bit late but if you want me to give you a quote its no problem.At moment I'm coming to the end of a job which I could give you references from the people Im doing job for or they might with their permission let you have a look.I can give you other details for jobs I've done etc.

Havent been on here much due to holidays and internet problems so Ill pm you my number just incase internet goes again. Just to let you know I have another job I have to take care of once I'm finished with job I'm doing now. Are you in a hurry to get it done?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

For the record, mad m painted the exterior of my house - and a top job at the right price. You can see it if you want - just pm me.

Mods, if this post is out of order just delete it.

Hi mad m thanks for the offer. .

I have yet to hear back from the painter that saw the job 2 days ago. He painted the outside of our house a few months ago so I will let him quote before I make any decision.

There were two other bits that we wanted done.
    Paint the Kitchen ceiling (not very big) 12'12 approx.
    &
    Paint spindles on stairs white (not the hand rail), currently they are varnished wood.

I will come back to you once I get the other quote.

Many thanks.

hughm

crosstownk wrote:
    For the record, mad m painted the exterior of my house - and a top job at the right price. You can see it if you want - just pm me.

Mods, if this post is out of order just delete it.

Thanks for that... It never hurts to hear positive feedback.

Conclusion

For Anyone following this thread who is interested in the costs....

1 got 4 quotes in total

1 for €3,000 from a decorating firm based on phone call description
    1 for €1,700 cash from a boards.ie member by PM based on this thread
    1 for €1,750 by email (not specified as requiring cash) from a trades website based on similar description to this thread (including spindles and kitchen ceiling)..

Last quote from our previous painter who has seen the job was €2,500. He agreed to come down to €2,000 based on the other quotes to secure the job.

I have decided to stick with our own painter for 2 reasons
    1 - he has seen the job and there are no extras to be added on to initial quote.
    2 - we have used him before, we are comfortable with him in our home and we know the quality of his work.

Lazare, thank you very much for your quote. You have probably saved me a few hundred €.

mad m thanks for the offer. All in all it is costing about €1,000 less than I thought it would.

Thanks to all who contributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Good to see you went with someone you knew from experience especially since he was that more expensive than other quotes. Dont know how anyone can give a quote though without first looking at a job like that.

Goodluck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

hughm wrote:

Lazare, thank you very much for your quote. You have probably saved me a few hundred €.
    QUOTE]

No problem Hugh, I'll call by to pick up my 'ahem' negotiation fee.:D

:eek:

Advertisement