Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Side Of Oz

Options
  • 16-08-2006 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

Was having a discussion the other night with a few friends about syncing music and films. Anywho, one of the lads said that Pink Floyds 'Dark Side Of The Moon' and 'The Wizard of Oz' can be played together really well (the themes or something along those lines).

Now I've found this site: http://www.everwonder.com/david/wizardofoz/

I'm trying it later on anyway. Anyone else ever try this?

And what albums and films have you done it with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Yea, it's pretty cool to watch. Beats the original anyway;)

The Pink Floyd lads have played dumb to it, but looking at it i'd be 90% certain that it was deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭telecaster

The Floyd freaks reckon each album corresponds to a film. I'll see if I can find the link later and post it up.

I've read a lot about Pink Floyd, and I think the Oz link is purely coincidental.

With the egomaniacs in that band, one of them would have stood up by now to say "Yes, I did it, it was my idea to sync with Oz, aren't I great?"

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I really really dont think that it was in any way a deliberate move.
    Because i have actually got the .mov of a properly synched version and watched it. At the time I was thinking, wow, this really really works. Then, later, after a few more drinks etc. We tried the same trick with TOOL, and Transformers the movie. (The original) and this synched up a lot lot lot more than Pink Floyds did with Wizard of Oz. So proof positive that it is a cock of a load of bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

The Pink Floyd lads have played dumb to it, but looking at it i'd be 90% certain that it was deliberate.

I dunno about that - I watched it and there are a few cool coincidences (like when they sing "look around" on Speak to Me/Breathe and Dorothy looks around in the film)... but I also tried watching Lateralus by Tool sync'd up with the Transformers movie and there are plenty of coincidences there too. If your are looking for stuff hard enough, you'll find it IMO.

Edit: eh, yeah, what bollocko said ^^^

Yep. I am the Doctor.

• Advertisement

Looks like someone synched up you two lads pretty well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Not a full film/album but if you mix "Jump" by Van Halen with the Speeder Bike sequence from Star Wars Return of the Jedi it comes off remarkably well.

Pigman II wrote:

ha, ha....charade you are

I reckon I know what I was smoking when I mentioned the Transformers tool thing, but I have no idea what Pigman was on....
    Thats fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yep it's pretty nifty alright. :)

Works best if you start the tune slightly BEFORE the bikes start their speeding. To be precise you should start the VanHalen right at the shotcut where Chewie sticks his head out from behind a tree. (It's Track 20 @ 55m38seconds for those of you who may have the 2004 DVD version)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

It syncs but it purely a coincidence. It didn't seem to sync that well back in the day as the version of Oz that came out over here had scenes cut from it which throws the whole thing off. FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

The Pink Floyd/Wizard of Oz sync is nothing special at all. I watched it just yesterday, and there are a handful of moments where it kinda works, but other than that..not really.

Tbh the only reason so many people agree it works is because they've heard so much about it, so when they eventually watch it they're already convinced that it works. If you were to show it to someone who'd never heard all the fuss about it, they wouldn't rate it very highly.

Maybe some bright spark should email myth busters.
    While youre at it, find out if queen meant to backwards "Its fun to smoke Marijuana", and also what the lyrics of stairway to heaven mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Maybe some bright spark should email myth busters.
    While youre at it, find out if queen meant to backwards "Its fun to smoke Marijuana", and also what the lyrics of stairway to heaven mean.

http://jeffmilner.com/backmasking.htm

And the list of Pink Floyd's songs and their coresponding movies:
    http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Amphitheatre/3528/pink_floyd_movie_syncs.html

I have to agree that the sync on DSoO isn't that great. The movie is boring to watch while you're waiting for some cool sync to happen, thanks to all the hype.

Though it is a good way to spend two stoned hours.
    Just so long as you only watch it once, and you cant actually move enough to reach the remote.
    Thats the criteria.
    Thats actually how it probably got noticed in the first place. The record was on, and the TV was on showing Wizard of Oz, and the guy was too stoned to move, to turn one of them off, or to commit more than one sense to either.

Advertisement