Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop not detecting modem?

• 16-08-2006 2:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭

Got a wireless modem in the post today expecting it to plug in and be detectable by my dell laptop, not quite working as planned!

The wireless card on my laptop is on, it can detect other networks in the area, the WLAN light on the modem is on so I'm presuming it's sending out a signal. Any ideas why the laptop can't see the router wirelessly? I have my desktop hooked up via ethernet cable and temporarily (i hope) have the laptop hooked up this way too.

Cheers for the help
    Dan

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Does it not see it at all? Or is it limited or no connectivity errors when connecting? It sounds like the wireless router isnt broadcasting wirelessly at the moment.
    I mean how is this wireless router set up at the moment?

Apart from how brilliant it is what with the no wires and everything, wireless sucks in every way and I hate it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Ensure the router/modem is broadcasting its SSID or read the manual and set it up.
    Provide more information (make,model,etc.)
    Try NetStumbler to see whether it finds the router/modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

What model/make is modem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

it's a Zyxel Prestige 660HW-D1

It's not hiding is SSID i made sure of that.
    It doesnt find it at all, not even limited connectivity, I'm stumped.

Thanks for the help lads keep it comin!

Well as the others have said make sure the wireless is enabled and that SSID broadcasting is on. For the moment leave any encryption (WEP/WPA) off and see if that works.

• Advertisement

all the security is off
    ssia is broadcasting
    the wlan light is on on the modem
    the wireless card can detect other networks around

what am i missing?

Have you tried the *titter* configuration Genie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Are you able to log on to the router directly with a patch lead?

the router is working fine with the cable attached, it connects to the internet grand, it's on the wireless part that can't be detect by the laptop.

• Advertisement

Probably a stupid question, but is the patch lead unplugged from your laptop when you're trying to access the router wirelessly? Wireless really isn't my thing- I somehow manage to get it to work whenever I need to. I've two wireless laptops at home and torrenting PC wired directly to an Eircom Netopia. I vaguely remember running into a problem trying to connect wirelessly from one of my laptops when I had left the patch lead plugged in.

nope i tried unplugging the ethernet cables, doesnt detect the modem still, its driving me mad, wat are the chances its a faulty modem?

Probably quite slim- ZyXel stuff is normally excellent. We use their stuff where I work and they've always been reliable. When the patch lead is plugged in between the laptop and the router, are you able to actually log into the router's web interface? Can't remember what the factory IP is- think it may be 192.168.1.1? It'll be in the manual. Logon password is usually 1234 I assume you have done all that if you're able to tell the SSID is broadcasting. Just seems odd though- something small I'm pretty certain is being overlooked somewhere and I'd be curious as to what the web configurator says.

Your wireless Card IS working, u said it detected other Wlans, so we know the PCs wireless is ok.
    And your router is working, at least its working whilst wired because you said so. (Sorry, recapping to myself here)

Often you will have to go to the 192.168.1.1 with a wired connection to enable and setup the wireless connection in advanced options.
    Have u had a look at the 192.168.1.1 or equivalent for your router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭UngratefulWhelp

I had this problem with my own Dell laptop. In my case, I was simply not saving the settings before leaving the page where you adjust them. It appears that you have, but you actually haven't.

Yeah. I really think your best bet is to slavishly adhere to the manual one more time, and make sure you do absolutely everything. And if that doesnt work, **** it out the window, cables are cool again now anyway.

this is the screen i have, the WLAN light on the modem is on and the Active Wireless box in the 192.168.1.1 is ticked also...... :confused:

Hmmm... Maybe knock off the router's firewall? Just to rule it out as an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is the antenna attached and positioned? (Just to rule out the obvious) Any signs of physical damage?
    Reset router, start from scratch.
    Does NetStumbler or Kismet see it?

If it's still not seeing it- get back in touch with whoever supplied it.

tried all that, no signs of physical damage at all, dont know what the problem is, might get back onto BT about it. cheers for the help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Spiritofeden

Hi
    I have exactly the same problem as you, if you work out any solution can you let me know, like wise if I crack it I'll let you know. I'm sure you'll agree this is highly annoying :-)
    J Power

I caved and rang up the support line, they said they've had a few similar calls and are starting to think it is a faulty batch that were sent out. They're sending me out another one next week so fingers crossed!

Interesting.... unfortunately stuff like that happens sometimes. Hopefully you'll get replacement up and running soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Spiritofeden

Yeah I called to to order a replacement.
    This one better work!!! :-)
    If you get your replacement unit soon if you could post back up here to
    tell me if it worked I'd appreciate it, I'll do likewise
    Thanks and Good Luck
    J Power

Advertisement