Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Criticise my new site...

Options
  • 16-08-2006 3:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

ok, so i've got a good bit of positive feedback from people in general about the site. it's been up a week and today i've added a forum which sort of completes the site links and layout wise. it's just a case of updating content and beefing it up a bit now.

i've modded the forum a bit and i think it looks well. I'm looking for criticism about the site in general from a more technical aspect - anything you would change or tweak, remove etc...

im working on a banner/logo so ignore the current plain text one.

also, it's not indexed in ANY search engine yet despite me submitting it to just about every directory and engine i could find. should i be worried? usually yahoo picks my sites up within a few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Seohelp

Hi smemon,

I like your site. The layout and colours are very easy-on-the-eye and the adsense blends very well within the entire layout.

From a SEO point of view you will need to address the fact that you haven't optimized each of your webpages. All the titles are the same. You will definitely need to change this to rank higher and create a lot more landing pages. The good thing is that it doesn't take too long.

You don't have any Meta Descriptions site-wide. This won't give any major boost to your search engine rankings, but it does allow you to "sell" your page a bit more when it arrises in the search engine results.

<META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="30 days"> Any reason why you have included this piece of code? It doesn't seem to make much sense to tell search engines to revisit your site after a month. Remove it and let them check it out whenever they want. It can only help and might be something to do with Yahoo ignoring you.

Googd site overall. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

design-wise it looks nice but with the rounded edges of your header/main section, the links at the side look very crude (imo). adding curves to all of that would help.

also, sort out the font on the google search thing for "www" and "theleavingcert.com", looks out of place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the rounded edges of your header/main section, the links at the side look very crude (imo). adding curves to all of that would help.

yeah good point, only notice that once you say it :rolleyes: i'll might look into that.
    <META NAME="revisit-after" CONTENT="30 days"> Any reason why you have included this piece of code?

Never noticed that, i'll dump it. cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

smemon wrote:
    yeah good point, only notice that once you say it :rolleyes: i'll might look into that.

Never noticed that, i'll dump it. cheers :)
    You could change the value... including the code per se is not such a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Raytown Rocks

Hi there

Just to say I noticed a typo in the below paragraph, not very technical I know but it will all help,

Please note: as this site continues to grow, theleavingcert.com has created a disclaimer policy to protect us from legal issues. all new visitors to theleavincert.com should read our disclaimer policy. All comments and criticism are welcome!

Chef

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Doesn't look too bad. Some really useful tips up there too:
    "Say you've an English essay due up on Monday morning. It's Sunday night, you've been away all weekend, you panic and decide whether to stay up all night writing it [...] I’ve got a better solution - steal it from the net."

chef wrote:
    Just to say I noticed a typo in the below paragraph, not very technical I know but it will all help,

cheers! :o
    Some really useful tips up there too
    sarcasm at it's finest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

There is an error with your forum
    Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator.

blacknight wrote:
    You could change the value... including the code per se is not such a bad idea

i'd imagine if the site isn't updated often i could use the code. But as it's in early days i'm constantly adding stuff to it so it's probably best to just let robots visit it freely?

There is an error with your forum

great :rolleyes: it's 1st day up and already errors...:( i'll look into it, thanks.

• Advertisement

it should be back to normal now :)

Advertisement