Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giant CRS 1.0

• 16-08-2006 3:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Anyone any experience of this bike or similar Giant models? I commute about 20 miles per day (fairly fast, but not flat out), and am hoping to do a bit of touring as well. Also considering the Lapierre Cheyenne '06. I need to be able to fit a carrier, and mudguards.

I like the Giant FCR 2 '07 as a fast commuter (although I have my doubts it could be used for any touring).

All comments/advice/suggestions welcome, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Speak with the bike shop - they should be able to guide you to a suitable bike to fit both needs (commute/touring).
    I know that the Specialized Sirrus has attachments for mudguards and a carrier. The LaPierre Cherokee probably does too (it is a commuter bike), though it's heavy enough.
    I like the Giant FCR 2 '07 as a fast commuter (although I have my doubts it could be used for any touring).
    It does look nice, so does the LaPierre Cruiser. What are your touring doubts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Darby OGill

I'm concerned that the bike wouldn't be suitable for fitting a rear carrier- wouldn't need front in any case. Also, would wheels be strong enough to take the weight?

What are Giant bikes like in general- good build quality, any maintenance issues etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I'm concerned that the bike wouldn't be suitable for fitting a rear carrier- wouldn't need front in any case. Also, would wheels be strong enough to take the weight?
    The bike shop will tell you!
    The reason I mentioned the Specialized Sirius is that it explicitly mentions having "rack and fender braze-ons". Others might have such braze-ons, which the bike shop would tell you about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

Anyone any experience of this bike or similar Giant models? I commute about 20 miles per day (fairly fast, but not flat out), and am hoping to do a bit of touring as well. Also considering the Lapierre Cheyenne '06. I need to be able to fit a carrier, and mudguards.

All comments/advice/suggestions welcome, thanks.

I bought a CRS 1.0 about 3 weeks ago. Was considering a Trek 7.5 FX but could not find a supplier that had one in stock, as the new 2007 model is coming out in September.

Best price online in Ireland (for the CRS) was €799, but I managed to get a good deal from a local bike shop in Donegal, €700 including a computer and lightweight mudguards.

The bike is well built, light, has carbon fibre forks and Deore/LX components. It feels good to ride and is very responsive and looks good as well!
    I use it for fitness rather than commuting, and I am very happy with the purchase so far.

If you don't need suspensions, knobbly tyres and like to go fast, I would recommend the CRS 1.0 :)

Advertisement