Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diagnostic Radiography

Options
  • 16-08-2006 3:13pm

Hi!My cousin got 520 points in the leaving cert.He has this down as his first choice.Whats the course like?Is it enjoyable?Do you have to like physics to enjoy the course?What is the pay like?

Thank!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

To be blunt, does it matter? He has to take his first choice unless he applies again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭the-lad

The physics isn't too difficult in the course.
    There is a lot of anatomy and physiology.
    Tell him to kiss goodbye to long summer holidays as radiography students have to do alot of clinical(hospital) time while other students are off.:(
    Employment is 100% for new graduates which isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

Hey,

I'm just going into third radiography this year.

As Sangre said he's got it as his first choice so there's not much to be decided. With 520 he'll probably get in unless points go crazy this year.

Speaking from a personal point of view I didn't mind physics but hadn't done it for my leaving - if, like me, your cousin hasn't studied physics for the leaving they'll recommend he takes Experimental Physics 1 as one of his free electives - it'd be a good idea. The physics isn't all that bad really - it can be interesting enough although Physics 1 is more the basics - physics 2 is more applied to what you need for radiography.

I really love the course - but i'm in the crossover class that is kinda modularised but kinda not. All the first years last year really seemed into it and it was better structured last year - I'd say they'll have worked out any problems they had with it.

One thing: radiography is not an easy degree - you have a lot of hours and you have to work hard - you're not going to get anywhere slacking off. You're in hospitals a fair bit (not so much in the new course i think) and when you're there patients don't know the difference between a student and a radiographer so you need to be professional and turn up on time and put the work in. But it all pays off - a lot of the time students get job offers from the hospital they've done there final year placement in.

I still think all it it is worth it, you're almost guarenteed a job when you qualify and the starting pay is very good - can't remember exactly but it's higher than for physios starting and you have lots of on call so you generally get a very good salary - i think you can easily make up to 35K to 40K the year you graduate although that's no guarentee!

There's also brilliant post grad opportunities for further study - lots of MScs to do and courses available and it's actively encouraged in all the hospitals altough it can be harder to get into the more popular areas such as CT and MRI.

Thanks for all the replies.To be honest.The eejit let his career guidance fill his cao form out.So he is not exactly sure if it is what he wants to do.ie he might reject it and take the year out.

Ok well if he's considering that get him to ring his local hospital with an x-ray dept and ask can he spend a day in there - this kinda thing happens every year - people put it down not knowing what radiography really is about.

Even one day will pretty much let him know if this is a course he'd like or not. Also get him to ring the Diagnostic Imaging Programme Office and talk to some of the lecturers, Dr. Mark McEntee is the 1st Year Co-ordinator and he'd be happy to talk to him or even help get him a days placement somewhere i'm sure (he did it for a guy who was in my class who was unsure)

The schools number is 01 - 7166545 or email diagnostic.imaging@ucd.ie

If he wants to talk to a student - he can pm me no hassle if he has any questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

pay is very good - can't remember exactly but it's higher than for physios starting and you have lots of on call so you generally get a very good salary - i think you can easily make up to 35K to 40K the year you graduate although that's no guarentee!

No (loadsa ppl think that, no idea why) but basic starting salary is 33k for radios (35k for physios btw) and you're pretty much guarenteed a job if today is anything to go by.

I'm pretty sure that it's internationally recognised so you can travel if you want.

The theme song is "Push The Button" apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Also, many women.
    This is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

....To be honest.The eejit let his career guidance fill his cao form out.....

:eek: Inhales... Exhales deeply... feeling slightly light headed now... The guidance counselor... o boy... he might need some diagnostic imaging to have his head examined.

All the advice sounds like it's a great course. I know the Irish Times have a service for people anxious about what to do next! I also know UCD have a ring in service for people who are not 100% sure about their choice and what to know "what are my options is I start X and decide I don't like it in 6 months".

Personally, post leaving cert I wouldn't be blowing off a year unless it's for a good reason (ie. charity work, travel or exploring ones inner light - again the diagnostic imaging would be handy for this). Taking a year off to sit on your bum or get some holding job would have made me kick myself.

Diagnostic Radiography might not be for him but if he never gives it a shot he will never know. With the support the other posters have mentioned it sounds like a good environment.

I clearly remember the day I got my results. I didn't get enough to do law which was all the range amongst my 45 cousins at the time. I came home, told my dad my marks and he asked me what type of course might I get into. I said my second choice "Computer Science".. he cheered right up and said "sure isn't that what you really wanted to do anyway!".. given my choices 2-8 were ICT related he might just have been right.

Dr. Aaron Quigley
    Computer Science & Informatics, UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Wow, kind of weird to think what a big effector for your future the Leaving Cert is, when you put it that way...

Aanyway, just to mirror what the autorité said, I'd seriously reconsider taking the year out too. Maybe he should at least go in until Christmas, at least then if he gives it up he won't be eligible for fees in 2007.
    On the other hand, it will be denying a place to another student who may really really want a place in radiography.

I took a year out after the Leaving Cert. In my case I didn't have a choice, because I didnt fill out a CAO form during the year, as I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to do. Even when I did 'decide', after 2 years of study, I've just recently gone back and revised it, and decided my current course still isnt right! So the year out really did nothing for me, and now Im going to be 21 starting college:eek:

Some people are just wanderers like that... tell him to give it a shot.

dajaffa wrote:
    No (loadsa ppl think that, no idea why) but basic starting salary is 33k for radios (35k for physios btw) and you're pretty much guarenteed a job if today is anything to go by.

I'm pretty sure that it's internationally recognised so you can travel if you want.

The theme song is "Push The Button" apparently

It's recognised worldwide - you have to do exams for Canada and America but they do that to everyone who hasn't trained in those countries - oh and you'll have no trouble going to Australia for a year with it if you want to - they'res a worldwide shortage of radiographers so they'll offer you the moon and the stars to go.

Theme Songs differ for every year: My year one is 'Maneater' after our little bit of fun in Aberdeen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement