Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connecting linksys wireless g to dsl service

• 16-08-2006 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

my friend is trying to setup a linksys wireless g router with a dsl service but since the router has only rj 45 connector, is there a cable with rj 11 on one side or what's the best solution to connect it to the phone line?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Sounds likes it's an actual router and not an ADSL modem, which is what you really need- that's what'll have the connection for the phone line, the RJ11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

what she said ^. You need a dsl modem. If you have one, put it into bridge mode (read it's manual) then connect it to the WAN port of the linksys. Configure the linksys with correct ISP PPPoE settings and you should be sorted then.

If you don't have a DSL modem, go buy one. Or return linksys and get a combo modem/router job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Teamhair wrote:
    Sounds likes it's an actual router and not an ADSL modem, which is what you really need- that's what'll have the connection for the phone line, the RJ11.
    the linksys model number is wireless g wrt54g.
    i thought it had an adsl modem built in? has anyone used this router?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Just checking it out on the Linksys site and it looks like a plain old wireless router/access point. As the other guy said, you can connect it to a wired ADSL modem (if you have one) with CAT5 and set up bridging or just bring it back to where you got it. You were misinformed so exchange shouldn't be a problem. If it is, raise hell! Go for an ADSL modem with wireless capability- it's a lot easier to set up if you're a bit wary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

flodis79 wrote:
    has anyone used this router?
    Yea I have one. And I can def say it's not DSL capable.

• Advertisement
Advertisement