Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

A4 vs Passat

Options
  • 16-08-2006 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭

I am planing on changing the car during the Autumn and have narrowed my choice down to two cars. I have driven both and while I felt the Audi A4 was more a more solid feeling car I found the Passat a more enjoyable drive.

The two Cars I am looking at are

2002 VW Passat Comfortline 1.9TDI 6 Speed 130BHP 71k Km - €14,500

2002 Audi A4 1.9TDI 130BHP 71k KM €21,500

The only question I have is how come the massive difference both cars have similar specs and FSH. Is the Audi Badge really worth the extra €7,000.
    This might be an extreme example but there seems to be on average €5000 between, the above, very similar cars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Er you have those the wrong way round! And the answer is no.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

That could be my friend's old Passat! Is it a G reg, selling in Tipp, by any chance?

The 1.9 TDI 6 speed Passat is a great car to drive and I certainly wouldn't pay the extra for what is pretty much the same car in Audi trim.

There are differences in terms of the quality of the interior fixtures & fittings etc, but not that much to warrant paying an extra €7k.

I started a similar thread a few days ago about a newer Passat which got hijacked and turned into a Ford v VW debate (even though I was asking for comparisons between the Passat and a Saab 9-3), but the Passat is a good car imho.

Happy motoring!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

The A4 is a good bit smaller, but by far the better looker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

maidhc wrote:
    The A4 is a good bit smaller, but by far the better looker.

Yea, I would have to agree it is a better looker and is smaller I suppose that might be why it feels alot more solid but the passat is still not a bad looking car.

No mike its a KE reg, sorry, but there does seem to be alot of them around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

muletide wrote:
    Yea, I would have to agree it is a better looker and is smaller I suppose that might be why it feels alot more solid but the passat is still not a bad looking car.

No mike its a KE reg, sorry, but there does seem to be alot of them around
    I asked if it was a G reg! :)

• Advertisement

? sorry confused

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not having driven the A4 I can't comment on it, but I can tell you that my new (well new to me! :D) 02 1.9 TDI 130bhp Comfortline Passat (Automatic) is fabulous!! Really comfortable, loads of power (and huge interior/boot - I had 14 new PC's and 8 TFT monitors in it today and you'd never be able to tell by how responsive she still was and I still had room to spare) and enough toys that I'm still figuring out what some of them do. :p

Mate of mine has the same car in a manual (not the 6-speed though) and he raves about it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Also thumbs up for the Passat Comfortline TDi. My father drives one and is a fine car to drive and fairly solid on the road, Although alot of non-Passat owners disagree :rolleyes: Don't mind them Its a fine car.

EDIT : Kaiser, My fathers looks quite similar to yours accept its an 05.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

Now that the new VAG 2.0L TDI (140hp) is out across all the range (from Seat, Audi, Skoda and VW), the 1.9 suddenly looks like the 'old' engine. Its still a great engine, and you should defo use that to bargin the life out of the salesman on both cars, esp the Audi.

also big tax difference between 1.9 and 2.0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

and you'll probably find if you looked at a similar spec'd Octavia with similar mileage, engine & year, it will be 7k cheaper than the Passat....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭sk8board

:) If we all bought skoda's, there would be no need for VW, Audi and Seat to exist in the first place (would that be a bad thing?!)

theres always a cheaper car out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

I drove both of them before plumping for an 03 Passat 130 TDI.
    The A4 was going for 3500 more and was a year older with 10K more on the clock, although the Audi drove class and seemed marginally quicker and braked better I didnt think it was worth the money.Plus the fact it was due for NCT next year, not worth the hassle.

Im well happy with my Passat and dont have anything bad to say about it, goes on fresh air practically too :D

Also OP, the A4 I test drove was 19.5K and was a decent enough spec, although it didnt have FSH it sounds like the one you were looking at is a tad overpriced? Considering I was looking back in March of this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭digweed

i just sold a '01 A4 1.9tdi 130bhp with 70k miles on it for 13,500. its the same shape as the '02 one. it was really well spec'd, dual climate and all that, sports seats and suspension. only problem i had was that it came in from the uk and the service history was lost. other than that a fantastic car. the 21,500 seems a bit pricey for a '02 too.

D.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

The '02 A4 is the pre facelift model so in that respect is will be a little harder to sell on. Also it strikes me as being a little pricey for something which is practically 5 years old! The passat had a facelift in '02 so check and make sure that its that one. However with the new model passat available now, expect prices to come down a lot more in Jan. I would wait for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Novacastrian

I've had 2 a4 TDi's, both great cars.

1st - 99 110bhp - very nice, easy drive, 55mpg but timing belt is at least €500 and needs to be done every 60k(same as Passat)

2nd - Just sold a 02 100bhp for 18k to buy a house, great car.

my bro is selling a 01 passat 130bhp for about 12k ish, 74k. i was going to buy it before the A4 and would again as it is a bigger boot (i'm a golfer).

If it was me I'd go passat and save some money.

If buying one look to bring it in from UK, there can be good deals.

whatever you do, passat or A4, make sure it has a FSH and timing belt done if over 60k. Higher spec is better for resale, especially leather.

BTW, just got a C200 diesel for under 3k, 46 mpg, great car if very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

How about a Skoda Superb?

can anyone reccomend a car supermarket in the UK close to a ferry port.

Advertisement