Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Jump Coach

• 16-08-2006 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi
    does anybody know of a long jump coach in the Dublin/Meath/Kildare area who would give private coaching to an 11 year old, with great potential.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭Domer

There are lots of coaches around that would be more than happy to help I am sure, however I would be more concerned with looking for this kind of help for an 11 year old. At that age the child should be experimenting in different events, building up a gra for the sport and basically enjoying it as much as possible. Channelling all their energy into a very impact intensive event such as long jump at such a young age could lead to problems as they enter there teens with over-use injurys such as osgoods or severs to name a few.

Encourage the child but dont over push!!!

But to answer your question, AAI has recently appointed Juvenile development officers in each region to assist youngsters and build the sport from the grass roots. I believe in the area you mention could be either Pat Ryan or Bart Rodgers...AAI will have more details

But take my advice above seriously. All IMHO of course!

Good luck
    Domer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭thirtyfoot

What kind of potential have they shown, do you have distances?

I think its a good age to be thought the basics, kids pick up things much quicker at that age whereas when we get older we start thinking about things too much, I was long jumping from the age of 9 to 14, didn't jump for maybe 5-6 years then and when I jumped in a league in my early 20's did a respectable jump purely on the back of what I learned as a kid. Carolina Kluft started off learning the basics (in her case in many events) from a very young age and by the time she was a junior had mastered the techniques and so lots of training time isn't wasted on amending poor technique etc.

I agree with Domer to be carefull about pushing the kid and would be wary of private coaching, focus maybe on a club in the region who has a good long jump coach and follow that route. For kids at that age its all about the social element of the sport and making friends and this can definetely be coupled with getting the kid coached correctly. You are right to try get the kid coached properly, but do it within a club structure and not in a private one-to-one capacity.

As regards a club in the region with a good jumps coach for kids I can't help you on that one.

Advertisement