Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick Question

• 16-08-2006 4:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I will be heading to New York soon and wanted to buy a good phone over there. Are they cheaper and would they work on the various networks over here?

I have heard that they wouldnt. But if I got a tri-band phone I dont see why they wouldnt?:confused: ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

As long as its tri-band you'll be fine. I've got a Nokia tri-band phone that I use here and in Canada. Don't know if they're any cheaper though. I was shopping around for digital cameras last time I was in Toronto and they were more expensive than here. Laptops are cheaper over there though. Hmmm... I'm talking rubbish now. Best to check out a a few website and see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Teamhair wrote:
    As long as its tri-band you'll be fine. I've got a Nokia tri-band phone that I use here and in Canada. Don't know if they're any cheaper though. I was shopping around for digital cameras last time I was in Toronto and they were more expensive than here. Laptops are cheaper over there though. Hmmm... I'm talking rubbish now. Best to check out a a few website and see.

Thanks Teamhair for that. Will check out a few sites. They are usually behind Europe when it comes to phone releases aren't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Mobile phones aren't as prevalent over there as they are in Europe, which makes me think they might be more expensive. Makes sense if you think what it would cost to ensure coverage over countries that size! At any rate, you don't see every second person walking around texting or talking like you do here!

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭padraigmyers

Make sure its a GSM phone if your getting one, a lot of the networks over there are on CDMA (defferent technology).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

DO NOT buy an american phone... ...our tri band phones are 900 1800 and 1900 ... their phones are cdma 850 and gsm 1900..Thats how ours work over there...waste of money unless you can make sure its got a few more gsm bands in it... but the gsm range of handsets over there wont compare to whats available here..
    if you like motorolas they are quad band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Thanks Johnnie for that. I heard there were some differences, just didnt know what they were.

Advertisement