Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband: 2MB vs 3MB on a 256RAM Laptop.... ?

• 16-08-2006 4:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

I'm buying a Dell laptop and it's 256mb RAM. I'm also signing up to NTL Broadband and I'm trying to decide between 2MB and 3MB. The 3MB works out as €45 more expensive for the year.

Should I go with the 3MB or should I just stick with the 2MB?

Will a 256mb RAM system be able for the the 3MB?

(I'm only gonna be using the laptop to play dvds, surf the net, download music, and do college work... No gaming or anything)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Steveo1983

if you intend to download alot of audio or video files go for the 3mb as it has nearly double the monthly usage limit.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

eskimo wrote:
    I'm buying a Dell laptop and it's 256mb RAM. I'm also signing up to NTL Broadband and I'm trying to decide between 2MB and 3MB. The 3MB works out as €45 more expensive for the year.

Should I go with the 3MB or should I just stick with the 2MB?

Will a 256mb RAM system be able for the the 3MB?

(I'm only gonna be using the laptop to play dvds, surf the net, download music, and do college work... No gaming or anything)

You really should buy more RAM - 512 is really the minimum for Windows xp.

If you intend using wireless with the laptop the 3Mb would give you a little more to pay with as you usualy lose some speed when using wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Eskimo, I'm in the same boat as you, i finally choose the 3M, because like Steveo said there is nearly twice the limit. but it all depends on how much you download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

dub45 wrote:
    You really should buy more RAM - 512 is really the minimum for Windows xp.

If you intend using wireless with the laptop the 3Mb would give you a little more to pay with as you usualy lose some speed when using wireless.

NTL Broadband isn't wireless is it?!

I would go with the 512MB but it costs an extra €100 that I just don't have.

I've pretty much decided to go with the 3MB as it's only an extra €45.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

eskimo wrote:

No, it comes over the TV cable, but you can get a wireless router to connect to the NTL modem, which will allow you to use your laptop wirelessly around your house.
    eskimo wrote:

You really need to get 512MB, 256 is just not enough.
    eskimo wrote:
    I've pretty much decided to go with the 3MB as it's only an extra €45.

Maybe go 2m and put the €45 you save towards the extra memory.

2m is more then enough for all that you mention above. You will only notice a difference if you download a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

eskimo wrote:

Find the extra €100 for the RAM - you'll be a lot happier with your laptop.

(You may be able to add the RAM in later for less, but only if there are 2 RAM slots, and the laptop comes with 1 256M module. If it comes with 2x128 modules, you'll hve to throw one or both of them away to pgrade).

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I second, third... whatever... the above sentiments regarding the extra RAM. It makes a massive difference on XP upping the RAM from 256Mb to 512Mb or more.

I use an old Dell PIII laptop with wireless around the house for browsing and checking email when not at my main PC. It's got 512Mb with XP and works like a charm. It's a different machine to when it had 256Mb.

bk wrote:
    Maybe go 2m and put the €45 you save towards the extra memory.

Good idea! Will prob do that so.

How much does the NTL Wireless router cost does anybody know?!

eskimo wrote:
    Good idea! Will prob do that so.

How much does the NTL Wireless router cost does anybody know?!

there isnt a dedicated NTL wireless router - you buy a model from say the Linksys or Netgear range - budget about a hundred euros for one. However NTL have been giving free wireless routers to people on signing up. It does not seem to be an 'offical offer' there is nothing about it on the website and while its a bit hit and miss lots of people seem to have got them while others have missed out but its certainly worth enquiring about when you are signing up.

PauloMN wrote:
    I second, third... whatever... the above sentiments regarding the extra RAM. It makes a massive difference on XP upping the RAM from 256Mb to 512Mb or more.

I use an old Dell PIII laptop with wireless around the house for browsing and checking email when not at my main PC. It's got 512Mb with XP and works like a charm. It's a different machine to when it had 256Mb.

Agree totally have a similar arrangement and with the extra memory its grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I have a Dell Laptop with 256Mb & 6Meg NTL.

It works just fine for surfing & streaming video wirelessly from a shared folder on my desktop PC.

However I agree that more memory means better performance. But if you can, buy the extra memory separately. An extra 256Mb (bringing you to 512Mb) for an Inspiron 1300 from www.shop4memory.com costs just €35!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

BendiBus wrote:
    However I agree that more memory means better performance. But if you can, buy the extra memory separately. An extra 256Mb (bringing you to 512Mb) for an Inspiron 1300 from www.shop4memory.com costs just €35!

Or €70 if it has 2 X 128MB modules and you have to chuck them both to make room, possibly still cheaper though.

Edit: Or you could get one 512MB module for €57

dam099 wrote:
    Or €70 if it has 2 X 128MB modules and you have to chuck them both to make room, possibly still cheaper though.

Well this is the memory spec: 256MB 533MHz DDR2 SDRAM

What does all that mean? :confused: Will I be able to just buy an extra 256 and add it on like someone suggested?

If it's any help, other spec includes:

Intel® Celeron® M Processor 380 (1.60 GHz, 1MB L2 Cache, 400 MHz FSB)
    256MB 533MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x256)
    40GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive

It depends on how Dell supply the memory. Normally there are two memory slots and Dell can supply the memory with one module of 256 or 2*128 - it would be more economical for you if Dell supply you with one module of 256 thats if you are not going to up the memory to 512 when you buy the laptop.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

(1x256)

Well this part would indicate that it has 1 256MB DIMM and therefore there SHOULD be a spare slot, which means you can buy and install a second 256MB DIMM yourself and install it.

Why not post the product ID of the Dell computer and we can look up the details on the site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

eskimo wrote:
    256MB 533MHz Single Channel DDR2 SDRAM (1x256)
    That (1x256) says that the 256MB is supplied as 1 "stick" of RAM, rather than 2 128MB sticks. So if there are 2 slots on the laptop you are buying, then you can just add a second 256MB.

But you haven't told us what model you're buying, so nobody can tell you whether your laptop has 2 memory slots - it almost definitely does, but if you tell us the model, someone will tell you for definite.

(Oops - BK posted while I was looking at the Dell site to see what model you might be looking at).

Thanks!
    The model is the Inspiron 1300!

Advertisement