Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much would it cost??

Options
  • 16-08-2006 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭

To get someone in to test the soundproofing of a house/aprartment approximately?? Basically its a new apartment which is very noisy (its not mine). Chances are the builders did comply with regulations, to the very minimum required, otherwise surely there would be serious conequences for them.
    So any ideas roughly??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

tough one as noise is a very subjective thing, yes u can measure it with a meter but what seems loud to you may be not so to someone else. Any report these days is going to cost u 2k plus I would think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

jesus, 2 grand, I should have taken up that summer internship. I know Dublin city council employees electronic (Sound is just a load of frequencies) to test new premises, might give them a ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,412 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Carnivore wrote:
    jesus, 2 grand, I should have taken up that summer internship. I know Dublin city council employees electronic (Sound is just a load of frequencies) to test new premises, might give them a ring.
    Sound is just a load of frequencies. But only a small percentage and audible to humans. And whats audible to some, isn't to others. I think that is the point that ircoha was making.
    Are you sure the sound proofing is poor, or they just noisy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

As i said, its not my place, but it seems to be a problem with a number of apartments in a block so i dont think its down to the neighbours making an excessive amount of noise, although granted being in apartments you are going to get a certain amount of noise levels from above you, so whats 'normal' or 'acceptal' i suppose is anyones guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Teddyhandsome

Soundtesting for airborne sound insulation is typically about €1000, based on 4 tests and a report. The regulations give specific levels of sound insulation which must be achieved!:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

mel123 wrote:
    As i said, its not my place, but it seems to be a problem with a number of apartments in a block so i dont think its down to the neighbours making an excessive amount of noise, although granted being in apartments you are going to get a certain amount of noise levels from above you, so whats 'normal' or 'acceptal' i suppose is anyones guess.

If the test proves that the builder did not sound insulate to the regs you may have a case to get the test fees reimbursed, as well as force the builder to address the issue.

Advertisement