Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tiny bit scared

• 16-08-2006 6:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I know this isn't a medical forum, and I'm not too sure if this is even a medical issue, I just need some advice or to know if anyone else has this problem or knows why it could be happening to me.

I am a 23 year old woman, and I've always been very lucky when it comes to body hair. The hair on my arms and legs and a little on my stomach is blonde, short and very fine.

When I was 19 noticed a hair growing on my nipple, and as I wasn't seeing anyone at the time I left it alone and strangely enough it disappeared.

Now, However, I have 4 of the bastards on one and two on the other!!!
    I clip them so my boyfriend won't notice, and I know its just making the problem worse!!!!

Not only that, but I now have ugly long black hairs growing on my big toes :(:( every now and then I find a large hair growing on my neck, two or three black ones on my chin and a mole on my lip is sprouting hair like there's no tomorrow! Also the hair on my arms and from my belly button down is darker and longer than before and there's lots of little blonde hairs on my chest that I know I never had. I don't quite have a moustache but I am fearful that it is the next thing to happen.

Just seeing all of this written down is starting to turn my stomach.

I just don't know why this is happening to me, why now? What causes this, I never shaved apart from my legs and bikini line.

I know its a trivial thing in the grand scheme of life but its really creeping me out.

I was going to see a doctor about going on the pill but now I'm afraid I'll end up blurting out all this because I'm really starting to think I have a hormone imbalance or something.

I'm an A cup (when its cold!) and I only get one period for every two months but they've always been irregular.

Any thoughts?

I was considering laser removal for my nips because they are what upsets me the most but if I thought there was something causing it I'd rather hit the root of the problem.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭bandraoi

What weight are you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

These are really medical questions. You should consult your GP.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Hirsutism is defined as excessive and increased hair growth in women in locations where the occurrence of terminal hair normally is minimal or absent. It refers to a male pattern of body hair (androgenic hair) and it is therefore primarily of cosmetic and psychological concern. Hirsutism is a symptom rather than a disease and may be a sign of a more serious medical indication, especially if it develops well after puberty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirsutism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ok that is a bit scary,

I am 11 stone and 5.8. Have been so for about 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Talk to your doctor sure, but go to beautician!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

is there any reason you won't go to the doc? Maybe embarrasement? Take it from me, it's a much bigger deal to you than it is to them, the relief is really worth it!

Beautician, I'm too embarrassed for a beautician,

I think doctor will have to be it, I just think they'll think I'm insane or something

just pluck it.... its normal... some girls get them.... dont panic.. its hardly attractive bbut normal.... my friends admitted to the toe thing but i get the odd few nipple things and pluck... grand... just be v carfull for ingrowns..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

As already said, go talk to your doctor.

You could always have the hair laser removed?I hear its cheap enough.

but won't plucking make it worse?

The last thing I want is for it to get darker and thicker...

• Advertisement

She does bikini waxes, no need to be afraid.

• Sounds totally normal to me but then I'm half Spanish. Could just be natural development or could be a symptom of something. Go to the doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭sideFX

For what it's worth my ex had a few on each nipple, not long but not short if ye get me? I never passed any comment on it to her and she never mentioned it in any way either. I just assumed it was normal. Some girls do and some girls dont (remind anyone of a song that?) I'm wondering now did it bother her? Anyway, i still see her about and she looks good to me so i wouldn't worry about it. But if it is bothering you go see your GP and see what ye can do about it. I'm not sure about lasers though cause it's a very sensitive area and they have a physical function.... best of luck with it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I think doctor will have to be it, I just think they'll think I'm insane or something

You think you're too embarassed, try being a bloke walking into a beauticians !
    If bloke can get treatment for excessive hair then surely women can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

jaysus sure i've these big massive ones on me titties, they poke through me t-shirt sometimes. whats the probs with just choppin them off? u cna hardly expect a 1 time fix for he rest of ur life. men have to shave every day/2 days/3 days. u prob shave ur legs/pits/flange/eyebrows every once in a while. jsut add ur jabs to that list. it happens to some people. nothin u can do.

snip snip mr burgess etc

I found a quote on another site
    Help, I've Got Hairy Nipples!

Do you have dark hairs around your nipples that just won't go away?

Don't panic! It's normal for hairs to grow around the nipples when you go through puberty. They're perfectly safe and don't hurt anybody. If you do want to get rid of them, it's best to pluck them gently.

If you think that you have an excessive amount of hair growing over other parts of your body, you can check your hormone levels with your doctor. However, just having some hairs around the nipples isn't considered excessive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you're truly concerned, a vist to your GP is recommended. Odd hair growth can be a sign of hormonal imbalance.

However, more likely than not, there is probably nothing seriously wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

The doc will know best but could the thyroid gland ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Strokesfan

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome POS can cause hormonal changes and hair growth in women - look it up perhaps and see do any of the other symptoms apply... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Its quite normal to have a little body hair. The problem is, the more you trim, pluck and shave, the stronger they grow back. Its just like cutting grass really.

My mum never let me shave my legs as a teenager, and strangely enough I rarely need to (and rarely do) now.

• Advertisement

Dearie it sounds to me like youve just hit puberty.
    Loads of women if not most get them on their toes, their nipples, above their lip, etc. Just be thankful you haven't had to put up with them till now.
    In fact it is common for women getting their legs professionally waxed to get their toes waxed aswell.
    However their is no need to go that far. The best way to deal with hair on the nipples if plucking, as there are generally only a few random ones, and plucking lasts the longest without making the hair grow back alot thicker than before. As for the other ones, im sure youre really the only person who'll ever notice them, seriously!
    Hope I've helped.

thanks for all the advice everyone,

I know a lot of people have hairs like mine,

I just wish I knew why it was happening now and not years ago,

although I was a bit of a late bloomer.

i'm going to the doc soon about going on the pill, so maybe I'll say it then.

thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

This is nothing to worry about. At least half of my friends have mentioned that they get nipple hairs and so do I. Also hairs on the toes. The last time I got my legs waxed the beautician asked if I wanted my toes done as if it was something she does every day, so I hardly think it's abnormal.
    I also get hairs on my chin and upper lip and again I know at least 2 of my friends are the same.
    Some girls just have different levels of hormones to others. It's perfectly natural but it is a major pain in the ass! You just have to pluck, wax and get over it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭Cheese Princess

By the way, this all started happening when I was about 22/23. And the main thing to remember is you're probably the only one who really notices it anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

A womans body is not finished growing and maturing into being fully adult until they are 22/23 and that is why it is best time to consider starting to have children from a biological point of view until a womans fertiltiy peaks between then and 28.

Up until 22/23 your body is still growing and adjusting to it's cycle of hormoanes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

shoegirl wrote:
    Its quite normal to have a little body hair. The problem is, the more you trim, pluck and shave, the stronger they grow back. Its just like cutting grass really.

this is a bit of a myth !!

http://www.snopes.com/oldwives/hairgrow.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

sounds likely that you could have pcos ??check it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Don't worry OP.

Nipple hairs, toe hairs, hairs above lips, hairs under belly button other random hairs around the place = all normal. It's just not talked about because women wax/dye/shave/cover up/don't care.

Hairs actually get darker as we grow older - it's well known that the hair on your head gets darker as you grow older (how many brown haired blue eyed men do you know who were previously blonde haired angelic toddlers?!), and so does the hair on the rest of your body....................until we go grey.

Not everyone has all these, not everyone hasn't. From your post - I reckon, nothing to get worried about. To be honest, if I were you, I think I wouldn't even mention it to my doctor, because I think I'd just pluck 'em out, but don't be embarrassed. It's like going to a doctor and saying "my tummy hurts when I get my period". (S)he's a doctor, you're a female, they know our bodies better than us!!!

Take it easy! Relax! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭scorplett

Weird hairs can be very cool... I have toe hairies etc but black hairs the same as the ones on my legs spreading to my toes is not weird...
    my proudest is the long one from the mole on my jaw and the four inch pure silver one on my chest that I can never find when I want to show it off to someone...
    Point is ladys and gents. We have the bodys we have and its a matter of choice to like it or not. Have pride in the uniqueness of your body and how wonderfull it is to have little quirkes and differences that not ever joe soap has.
    If you truly accept and enjoy every little quirk of your own body chances are any partner you may have will find that quirk and your acceptance and pride in it extra super sexy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

scorplett wrote:
    Weird hairs can be very cool... I have toe hairies etc but black hairs the same as the ones on my legs spreading to my toes is not weird...
    my proudest is the long one from the mole on my jaw and the four inch pure silver one on my chest that I can never find when I want to show it off to someone...
    Point is ladys and gents. We have the bodys we have and its a matter of choice to like it or not. Have pride in the uniqueness of your body and how wonderfull it is to have little quirkes and differences that not ever joe soap has.
    If you truly accept and enjoy every little quirk of your own body chances are any partner you may have will find that quirk and your acceptance and pride in it extra super sexy
    Hear hear!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

The nipple thing sounds normal to me though,
    pluck it, thats wat I do!!

Could be hormone imbalance or polycystic ovarian syndrome...

I found a really long hair (about an inch and a half long) under my bellybutton the other day...I destroyed the ba***rd!! :D

Advertisement