Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satelite Broadband

• 16-08-2006 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi guys,
    Anyone using this? How do you find it? I have to work from home, wish eircom would get the finger out and lay the right lines, but at the min, this is my only option out in the sticks...
    The one way satelite option is obviously a lot cheaper (especially in terms of installation and hardware costs) - anyone using it for working? I need to connect to PCs remotely over a VPN. Will that work? Some one said told me this may not be possible due to some kind of encryption on the satellite?!
    And is it OK for skype or is there too much of a lag (or whatever they call that)? Any feedback, suggestions warnings greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
    :confused:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its crap and worse for skype, what stick are you in for wireless options ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

I have two way with digiweb, its good for standard internet, crap for applications like skype really

I was disappointed that after waiting a good while for west net to install their service to find out the superior would not let the install go ahead because the ethernet cable from the receiver to inside house would have to be clipped along fence, and he said animals may chew on it and what not, and its not very suitable situation, so I have to wait for a new wireless signal to be installed in area nearer to me, which the guy said will be a month or two, ah but i could almost smell online gaming:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Hello77 wrote:
    The one way satelite option is obviously a lot cheaper (especially in terms of installation and hardware costs) - anyone using it for working? I need to connect to PCs remotely over a VPN. Will that work?
    No.
    Some one said told me this may not be possible due to some kind of encryption on the satellite?!
    One way satellite essentially sends your packets out one way, and gets responses another way. You're going to have problems setting up a VPN in that situation.
    And is it OK for skype or is there too much of a lag (or whatever they call that)?
    Don't even think about using Skype (or any of the more standard VoIP solutions). Latency will just kill it.

Vodafone have a new "flat rate" 3G product that will work for some people who can't get Broadband. http://www.vodafone.ie/sme/price/dataroaming/3ggprsplans/index.jsp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

You will have problems with latency if you set up a vpn on a satellite connection. It will keep getting disconnected.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Hello77

Ok guys, will give that a miss then, and wait for eicom. Thanks for all your replies, you have saved me time and money (and frustration). Much appreciated:) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

kc66

Are you "Waiting for someone or something to show you the way" ?

Fazer6.

Advertisement