Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Power Steering on 96-99 Seat Ibiza's?

Options
  • 16-08-2006 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

How common is it for these to come with PAS?

Very tempted by a 98 1 litre I went to see today but the lack of power steering is annoying after a few years in the mothers Almera.
    It's €2000 with 100k in very good mechanical condition as far as I can see.

Anyone have an opinion of this machine?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Great car but try and get a 99 with power steering. The one your looking at seems a little pricey with very high mileage. Try get one with lower mileage.
    I have a 98 1litre the steering is heavy parking but grand on the open road.
    Very reliable. Best of Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

personally i owned a 99 ibiza for a brief period, had PAS though...i wouldn't buy a car without it! that's just me though! didn't like the ibiza, very big body for a 1 litre engine.

is the ibiza really the best buy for you? have you considered others...i.e fiat punto (don't anyone start on the FIAT comments!), citroen saxo, opel corsa, vw polo, pug 106 etc.?

what's your budget? my advice is shop around anyway.

here's a few

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=487957
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=478985
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=370983

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

My budget can only stretch to €2000.

106's, Saxo's and Starlet's aren't an option as I'm quite tall. I expect the Fiesta falls into the same bracket as them space wise.

Polo is pretty much the same as the Ibiza but more expensive.
    Spotted that white one and the alloys send alarm bells ringing.

I'm a bit cold on Punto's as a few of my friends who have them have had lots of trouble with suspension and exhausts.

Had a good look around motornet, cbg.ie and Buy and Sell and can't find many Ibiza's with better mileage for the price. Can only really travel within Cork and Kerry which limits my options somewhat :(

This Ibiza was very neat without being too neat if you get me.
    Legit reason for selling and very good body work too.

i'd still try to find a car that has p/s...but if you're willing to put up without it! btw, 100k is pretty high mileage, but i guess the €2k can only stretch so far.

alloys don't need to send alarm bells ringing, just make sure you get the car checked before you buy. some of the cars that don't ring alarm bells can turn out to be right buckets of sh*t.

I can get used to lack of PS I suppose.
    After 5 minutes of driving it I didn't notice so much. It's just parking will be a little more awkward.

That Polo has 122K on it plus it's white which means I'll have to wash it more then once a decade.

Forgot to mention the Ibiza just passed it's NCT, which is nice.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions by the way, very much appreciated.

• Advertisement

no bother. actually didn't even see the mileage on the polo...whoops! all id say is don't rush into it...there's always another car out there! i've been researching changing mine now for 3 months! no rush...altho if you don't have a car that's a different story.

the nct is handy though. parking will be a bit*ch, but you'll build fine biceps & triceps! :D all in all the ibiza is a nice car, never gave me trouble.

best of luck with it, let me know how you get on. take a stroll around some of the dealers, they don't put every car up on the net! especially the lower priced ones that they trying to get rid of to trades sales!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Power Steering is usually more to do with the engine size\power rather than year. The polos and Ibiza's are the same (the 94-99 ibiza being the same platform as the 00 Polo) in terms of power steering. IE, the 1.0l's generally dont have it.

Im selling my 1.4 ibiza if you are interested. Only reason im selling is because im emigrating. Passed NCT a couple of weeks ago. Nice car in good condition, most importantly, well maintained. Drop me a PM you are interested.

In any case, I would reccomend an ibiza. Although if you can get bigger than 1.0L id reccomend it. The smaller engines\gearboxes dont take as kindly to higher mileages as they have had to work much harder through their lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Lack of PAS teaches people to be better at parking, there is much more an incentive to get it right the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

RichyX wrote:
    My budget can only stretch to €2000.

106's, Saxo's and Starlet's aren't an option as I'm quite tall. I expect the Fiesta falls into the same bracket as them space wise.

I used to have a 00 Fiesta, and there was plenty of headroom in it. I'm 6'1" by the way. The Fiesta didn't change much from 1996 to 2002, so all those models should be pretty much the same besides different headlights. 1.25 litre zetec ftw! :)
    Power steering was common on them too also.

Im selling my 1.4 ibiza if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer but only looking for a 1 litre.
    Tax, insurance and all that make it the best option. If I was looking for a 1.4 I'd have an Almera already, very good value for a decent car.

A bit tempted by a Fiesta but they generally seem to have more issues then other small cars. No shortage of recalls and issues with the engines from what I've been reading.

Still searching for an Ibiza but now I want power steering for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

RichyX wrote:
    Still searching for an Ibiza but now I want power steering for sure!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=3865&cat=2

Not sure if it has PS or PAS, but good price!

Advertisement