Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card application refused

Options
  • 16-08-2006 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

I'm a recent graduate, working a few months. I recently applied for a credit card with AIB who I bank with. I just wanted it for online purchases and travelling as I have my laser card for everything else.

Anyway, I got a letter back saying that they "cannot offer my a credit card facility at present". Why would this be? I could have picked up a student card quite readily with no income a few months ago. Now I know that would be more limited than a 'proper' credit card, but all the same I'm on a proper income now.

I didnt intend borrowing on the damn thing anyway, I just wanted it for convenience.

With the level of borrowing in this country, I would've thought getting a credit card would have been a bit easier... or is this par for the course?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Probably because you would have had very little on your credit report (being a recent graduate) for the credit company to go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭6ix

Fair enough, but how does one get to have a good credit report without asking for credit?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'm not too sure about the Irish system but perhaps its similar to the US one. Are you paying off a loan for college? Its a proper pain in the backside. I had a fine report in Ireland and then I had to build a new one in the US. No harm getting a copy of your credit report and checking if there are some mistakes on it (its possible). Look here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

That's very strange. Do you have a bad credit record? Any uncleared loans?

I'd give the credit card centre a ring and ask them can they give you any advice. If no luck, and if you've been with your branch for a long time, give them a ring -they'd be mad to lose you as a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

try MBNA... i do not think they are as picky... and as long as you can pay off everything each month you do not have to worry about high interest rates. Im with them for years.

• Advertisement

I've a perfect record I'd imagine. I've worked part time during college, and haven't had to get a loan or anything before. As I've said, I don't intend to borrow on this card either, I'd pay it off every month.

Anyway, I've emailed AIB, and if the response isn't satisfactory, they'll be losing a customer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

6ix wrote:
    I've a perfect record I'd imagine. I've worked part time during college, and haven't had to get a loan or anything before. As I've said, I don't intend to borrow on this card either, I'd pay it off every month.

Anyway, I've emailed AIB, and if the response isn't satisfactory, they'll be losing a customer.

Check out your credit rating as indicted earlier because u may be mixed up with someone else.
    It is easy for stuff to get posted to the wrong name, it is human error.

Dont be so hard on them re the email, they dont like it as a medium for obviuos reasons.

Write a normal snail mail letter,and ask for an explanation?

MBNA may not be as picky but there CC procesing is a bit antiquated and you,afaik, pay online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

i had the same problem...applied to my bank and they shot me down....so just went to another bank and applied and not only got a card...but got a gold card!!

My advise is to ring the cc company and ask them why they refused you. They are required to tell you if you ask. They may get a bit antsy with you over it..if they do just ask for a supervisor and again ask (stay calm all the time). Dont bother writing an email or letter (unless you send the letter registered post) because they will just say they never got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Just gave them a call this morning. Helpful guy told me that they base their decisions on the last 6 months account activity. Being a student, the account wasn't flush with money over the last 6 months. In a month or two, once a few salaries have come through, I'll be able to get a card apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I got blown out for the new plastic card despite a good credit record (i subsequently paid for my credit record to check) and a record of always paying previous credit cards on time.

Later I discoveed that BOS who runs the plastic card ran another card I was using with a much bigger APR. I believe they didn't want me to switch from what was a ;moneyearner for them to a 0% introductory rate. It's worth checking if you already have a card or loan administered by the financial company you apply. to

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

AIB and BOI will not issue a creidt card together with a laser card to a student

You have a laser card. You will cease to be a student account on the 1st of Jan.

If you give up the Laser you can have a Credit Card now.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    AIB and BOI will not issue a creidt card together with a laser card to a student

You have a laser card. You will cease to be a student account on the 1st of Jan.

I have a graduate account. I can have both credit and laser cards simultaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

Sponge Bob wrote:

That's blatantly incorrect. I've had both a Laser card and Student MasterCard with AIB for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

that is incorrect however it is correct to say that

AIB and BOI used to treat applications for laser cards as if they were applications for a credit facility, (applying for one felt like they were doing you a favour), however recently, in the last say 9 months, something changed, now AIB give a laser card to all holders of their "Student Plus" accounts (thats the 3rd level account) without question, and BOI will give a student one if he asks using the right channels (ie fills out a request form and sends it to his branch)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,294 ✭✭✭markpb

It's worth trying several places. As soon as I graduated I applied to Tesco for their cc and was refused. Then I applied to AIB for their graduate card and got it straight away with a limit of 2k.

I did have my personal ac in AIB but it never had much money during college either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,390 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Huh ? Moved from AIB to BOI, got a debit card and BOI credit card no problems.

Being a student sucks, but hey, we all were there once :)

It gets better :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement