Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Old Army medals-what are they worth?

• 16-08-2006 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭

I've a set of 2 old IRA medals at home belonged to my Granda. THey are in their original box , with ribbons etc and are in practically mint condition. Any idea what thy would be worth as buying a house and selling them might help out with the deposit.

I also have a Queen victoria english penny and a penny from the reign of Edward the 7th.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

It would be a shame to have to sell them, Sister!! But if you need a valuation I can ask a friend of mine who collects such material. I'll PM you with his response. It may take a few days.

Are they the Independence and Survivors medals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Yes they are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Mrs. McGyver, I have seen a lot of these medals pop up on E-Bay in recent months, I cant understand where they are all coming from suddenly, I guess a lot of people that took part in the rising/war of independance are just about gone now. They were selling for about €400-€500, perhaps more if memory serves me right.

But personally, if I had such medals (unfortunately I had no relatives that I could find that took part in those times, let alone were awarded medals) I'd be hanging onto them, have them framed and be proud of them. I know buying a house and all is costly and the money is needed, but you might regret selling them on in future years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Might take your advice croppyboy, i will probable regret it later as im a bit of a hoarder by nature! IMy mother was talking about getting rid of them after seening the 'wind that shakes the barley'. I'd ay thats why theres a resurgence on ebay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

€400-550 is what my friend said... she also advises not to sell!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ScottishDanny

Don't sell! They are worth a fortune - more so in 2016.

Advertisement