Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a pair of wheels?

Options
  • 16-08-2006 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Im looking to get a new set of wheels for a racer (700c). They need to be suitable for a heavy rider (102kg) and for moderately poor roads. My budget is around 150-175 euro. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I could get a pair?

These wheels are too weak for what I want (I've read poor reports of them holding up under bad roads). I think 36 spokes might be necessary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

garrath wrote:
    I've read poor reports of them holding up under bad roads
    Links please as I have these Shimano wheels on my LaPierre road bike.

I suggest calling into Cycle SuperStore and asking for recommendation.
    I just had my mtn bike wheel fixed (got rim replaced). I noticed that the spokes were threaded differently, with 3 crossovers instead of 2, which is a good thing. To me this means they know what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 garrath

daymobrew wrote:
    Links please as I have these Shimano wheels on my LaPierre road bike.

Link. Its by no means conclusive and I have not entirely ruled them out, but it just seems to me that a higher spoke count might be more suited to me, being a heavier rider. What is your experience? Are you a heavy rider, if you don't mind me asking?

I have a friend who has the same wheels and he loves them, so I was eager to get them. But if, for the same money, I could get a set with a higher spoke count I think I would rather err on the safe side and get those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

garrath wrote:
    Are you a heavy rider, if you don't mind me asking?
    Because I'm not, I don't mind answering: I'm a skinny 150lb. Having said that, while commuting on mostly good roads I've broken a good few spokes of the rear wheel of my mtn bike, but I put this down to the roads.

A colleague told me that an increased number of spoke crossovers will give strength to the wheel.
    As before, I recommend talking to a bike shop about your needs and concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I like the idea of getting some learning materials, a rim and hubs, spokes and tools, and building a wheel myself.

Can anyone suggest good learning resources outside of sheldonbrown.com? Books, sites and the like?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭keizer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I have a Mavic CXP33 Rim on the back with a Tiagra hub, 32 spokes, and I'm very happy with it. I'm quite heavy myself (exact same weight as you a while ago but a bit lighter right now) and to boot I have toured on it and have carried heavy loads (20kg+) without problems.

I think you need to worry about the back wheel more than the front, my front is 28 spoke but I haven't had any issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 garrath

blorg wrote:
    I have a Mavic CXP33 Rim on the back with a Tiagra hub, 32 spokes, and I'm very happy with it. I'm quite heavy myself (exact same weight as you a while ago but a bit lighter right now) and to boot I have toured on it and have carried heavy loads (20kg+) without problems.

I think you need to worry about the back wheel more than the front, my front is 28 spoke but I haven't had any issue.

My current thought is to go for some Mavic A716 rims with a Shimano 105 hub. The rims are 36 spoke. I agree that the front can safely have less spokes, but I'd have to get different rims then. It'll come to a bit more than my original budget (200 euro), but I think they are a good idea, unless anyone has any experience with them?

Advertisement