Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

96FM Female Newsreader

Options
  • 16-08-2006 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭

Does this bug the sh1te out of anyone else?

There's a female newsreader on 96fm, can't remember her name, she has an English accent, but she doesn't pronounce place names, peoples names etc properly. Today she called Malin Head, Maylin Head, I've heard it countless times. Do they not get anybody to listen to them give a practice run before they go on air? It's really annoying to hear it on a local radio station.

Rant over

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I haven't heard her but some people like the common touch. I heard that Joe Duffy really exaggerates the working class accent and he is in reality a Trinners boy. :)
    Also I hate it when Gerry Ryan says "Thigh Land" (for Thailand) and "Lar-ger" (meaning Lager)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Victoria Nicholls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭bishop brennan

Femmy wrote:
    Victoria Nicholls.

Am i right to say you work in 96fm Femmy??
    Any scandal we should all know about in broadcasting house??;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

i worked in 96fm for a week temping, the reception desk had dust an inch thick on it. nice ppl though!

i agree w/ pronounciation being important, depending on where you live, things are pronounced differently though.
    eg. the word column, i would say it "kaw-lumm" and my fiancé says "kaw-lume".

in anycase, as a canadian living and working as a receptionist in ireland, i learned *very* quickly that pronouncing words/names/places as the irish do, made my life a lot more simple. i found it was easier for ppl to understand me and eventually, i them :)
    i came home after a year w/ a nice little cork accent though ;)

that having been said, i could name a few instances where the irish mispronounce certain words from particular cultures!
    at the end of the day everyone does do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

i could name a few instances where the irish mispronounce certain words from particular cultures!
    at the end of the day everyone does do it!

I agree yeah we Irish don't pronounce everything correctly but I just feel that on a radio station, pronuciation should be checked before going on air, because if Victoria makes a mistake at 5pm, she's still making the same mistake 4 hours later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭pro_gnostic_8

Blue B, she annoys me so much I have to switch over to TodayFM or elsewhere whenever she (V Williams) comes on.

I agree with you that it is a basic requirement to get placename pronunciation correct when broadcasting on a local station. The fact that the odd Irish man-in-the-street sometimes mis-pronounces something has nothing to do with the issue. Also, I cannot stand her lecturing/hectoring manner of speech -- over-emphasising parts of sentences etc. All a bit school-marmish ....... treating her audience as if we were cretins.

Would you believe she annoys me so much that I sent an email to that effect some weeks ago to 96FM. And normally I'm a very placid guy who doesn't get riled!

On that topic. why does 96FM lean so much towards broadcasters with foreign accents. (I'm not a xenophobe but this is just too out of place for a local station). You've got some English guy in the morning until 9.00am, that ridiculously hyper Steve something-or-other with the American accent that became so passe ten years ago, and God knows how many more. And every second advert is voiced over by a deep-throat with a Texan drawl. I'm sick of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Gerry Ryan...Who is he????

As for Joe (I am perfect) Duffy...he wasn't too happy a few years back when everyone found out his bro was a junkie.

Yeah there was a guy on MWR who did the GAA results with an english accent.Made the games and results sound sterile...urgh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Femmy wrote:
    Victoria Nicholls.

good Irish name...

On that topic. why does 96FM lean so much towards broadcasters with foreign accents. (I'm not a xenophobe but this is just too out of place for a local station). You've got some English guy in the morning until 9.00am, that ridiculously hyper Steve something-or-other with the American accent that became so passe ten years ago, and God knows how many more. And every second advert is voiced over by a deep-throat with a Texan drawl. I'm sick of it.

I sooooooooooooo agree

Don't suppose you got a reply back from 96fm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

they pay peanuts so they get monkeys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

they pay peanuts so they get monkeys

is that their excuse for still retaining neil prenderville?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

I quite like her accent actually, I find it sexy. I think it's appealing when she mispronounces words but I agree she should try to pronounce them properly.
    She could at least ask someone before she goes on air.
    When she does the GAA results some of the stuff she says is hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

Blue B, she annoys me so much I have to switch over to TodayFM or elsewhere whenever she (V Williams) comes on.

I agree with you that it is a basic requirement to get placename pronunciation correct when broadcasting on a local station. The fact that the odd Irish man-in-the-street sometimes mis-pronounces something has nothing to do with the issue. Also, I cannot stand her lecturing/hectoring manner of speech -- over-emphasising parts of sentences etc. All a bit school-marmish ....... treating her audience as if we were cretins.

Would you believe she annoys me so much that I sent an email to that effect some weeks ago to 96FM. And normally I'm a very placid guy who doesn't get riled!

you should have written w/ an offer to help her out w/ her lack of pronounciation :) surely you must have the patience being the placid fella you are ;)

in any case, i wouldn't blame her entirely, it's partly the station's fault as they hired her and i'm willing to bet that there aren't many who've tried to correct her either.

Am i right to say you work in 96fm Femmy??
    Any scandal we should all know about in broadcasting house??;)

erm...none whatsoever.
    I just happen to know her name...

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

....... treating her audience as if we were cretins.
    Well, it is 96FM we're talking about here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

96FM is a very amateurish station at best. Every jingle is the same, the cheesy sleazy nerdy voice, the crappy dance music beat, and just like every other unimaginative station out there, slots, promotions and competitions have to use either ryhme, or aliteration :

Weekly Whacky Question
    Cash Call
    Friday Flutter
    Street Fleet

And you know what else does my head in? Ken Tobin. The man can't say two words without throwing in 'Aaaam'. It should be a basic pre-requiste that if you're a DJ, if you can't think of anything to say, don't say 'Aaaam'. I worked in a factory where we had to listen to 96, and in one 4 hour stint, Ken Tobin clocked up over 300 'Aaaams', we were that bored, we stopped counting after 300!

And don't get me started on Nick Richards ... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

Nick Richards-what's with the radio voice? Ever hear him in reality?? He's like a frigid old man! He needs to naturally change the voice to something normal imo.
    I like the newsreaders they're really good I think actually unlike Red FM where they put "Cork's....." into everything and 96fm got rid of Suzanne Doherty, the girl couldn't pronouce things for her life!!
    What really annoys me is Oldies and Irish, the psychological torture of waking up every Sunday morning to that voice and old people songs!!! The Junior Spot etc etc!!!

Nick Richards-what's with the radio voice? Ever hear him in reality?? He's like a frigid old man! He needs to naturally change the voice to something normal imo.

Yes i have heard him in reality, i doubt you have though, he sounds the exact same as he does on the radio, as do all the Dj's there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

why do ya have to be so pedantic.. i mean as long as ya know what people are talkin about then the way they pronounce things shouldn't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

JaneHudson wrote:
    I haven't heard her but some people like the common touch. I heard that Joe Duffy really exaggerates the working class accent and he is in reality a Trinners boy. :)
    Also I hate it when Gerry Ryan says "Thigh Land" (for Thailand) and "Lar-ger" (meaning Lager)

The other one that bugs me is when people refer to the "prostrate" gland, instead of the prostate gland. (The aforementioned G. Ryan is a great one for that...)

Or when people say something like "he pacifically said that...." rather than "he specifically said ...."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭badlyparkedmerc

There used be (maybe still is) a newsreader in 96fm with (I think) a Montenotte accent - very nasal anyway, anyway heard her pronouncing Dordogne as Dor-dog-nee and another time communique as commune-eek-ee. Both wildly inaccurate pronuciations were actually delivered without a hint of hesitation or self-doubt it must be said.

My own pronunciation isn't that hot but I thought it funny a newsreader was so far off and had so little interest in current affairs she wasn't even listening to RTE news to hear their take on what were at the time major stories where she'd have heard the normal pronuciations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I don't know who it was but there was one female newsreader doing the english soccer results one Saturday and nobody told her what Wst Brm Alb was short for..........so she tried to read it out :D

badlyparkedmerc

I remember the dordogne incindent. Crindgeworthy!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

There used be (maybe still is) a newsreader in 96fm with (I think) a Montenotte accent - very nasal anyway, anyway heard her pronouncing Dordogne as Dor-dog-nee and another time communique as commune-eek-ee. Both wildly inaccurate pronuciations were actually delivered without a hint of hesitation or self-doubt it must be said.

I remember the dordogne incindent. Crindgeworthy!

Thanks! I've coffee all over my monitor, this is my best mate's girlfriend, can't WAIT to show him this!

who is she? is it rose o neill?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭GretchenWieners

That one Emer has the most mature voice ever and sounds so good when she reads the news I think all the newsreaders at the moment are ok, the only one that irritated me is gone I'm sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

P.S She has a booty that would make a blind man see again.

I think your are in the wrong thread. 96FM are dead. Long Live RED FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Red Nissan wrote: »
    I think your are in the wrong thread. 96FM are dead. Long Live RED FM.

This thread is 8 years old, safe to say you're in the wrong thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Zombie

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement