Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crap cars top 10;

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

My list would be.

1 yes the metro for making me lie under it so much.
    2 rover 2000 p6 type for rear suspension collapse.
    3 morris marina for obvious reasons.
    4 alfa 146 for making me hate alfas
    5 austin 1100 and all derivitives looks awfull
    6 all new bmws ( new designs are rubbish)
    7 the ford ka looks terrible
    8 Jaguar xjs for looking so good and being so bad. ( the little tease )
    9 opel vectra early models , torque steer and plasticy.
    10 jaguar xj 220 cause I want one and she's too rich for me (crap car)

Thats kinda in no partcular order.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

coolmoose wrote:
    what about the ford scorpio? i remember hearing some stories about them, never drove though so i don't know!

I had a Scorpio for three years. The only trouble I had was with a sensor on the ABS system on one wheel - quite a minor fault. Very comfortable car with all the goodies but a little underpowered.

(Fords have been the most reliable car I've had. Most unreliable - Volvo 460)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

junkyard wrote:
    I know the multiplas styling isn't to everyones taste but I'd have to say its probably one of the best Fiats ever made, I haven't heard of one problem with them and the people I know who have them love them and don't want to sell them.

Once its the JTD i'd imagine I have to agree. Some relatives of mine had a JTD model Mulitipla for 2-3 years. Nothing we wrong with it and AFAIK it caused minimal problems and that Diesel engine considering the size of the car was astonoshing. I'd imagine the 1.6 Petrol is a poor pick for the car considering Fiat petrol engines are terrible regard reliability and also 1.6L petrol is probably a bit peck for the size motor. But at the end of the day I wouldnt guarentee them having overall reliability but from what I personally saw its a good car. Also sit in the front of the multipla with its 3 seats and you wont want to get out. I really cant see how come there is so much room in the front of them considering there is 3 seats. There is probably more room having them 3 seats then there is in a normal 2 seater car. Id imagine this could be due to the fact there is no center console as the hand brake is beside the drivers door. Good use of useless space IMO. Also I have seen a few new multipla's about, The new model I'm suprised from what I can tell isn't selling well as like the old model but considering the face lift. Improved styling etc.. But let just say the multipla isn't exactly on my " Buy list " :P

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Hippo wrote:
    No justification for the mazda 121 apart from maybe on aesthetic grounds. Usual unbreakable mazda build quality, you can't seriously have it on a list with a Lada!

Ohhh yes I can (best pantomine voice). And yes, you're right, my justification for the 121 is purely on aesthetic grounds. I think it is one of the most offensive looking cars ever. I hate it. How that design was signed off, I'll never know. Even more confusing is that people bought it and actually liked it! I remember when it came out, a friend's mother liked it and I just could not figure out why. It looks like an already ugly car that was squashed in a vice grip to punish it's mingingness. And the ones with the canvas roofs, shudder. I'm fairly subjective when it comes to a car's looks but that yoke is an old pet hate of mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

Any list of 10 worst cars without the Fiat Seicento in it is meaningless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

junkyard wrote:
    Well for someone who knows "feck all about cars" I make quite a good living out of them funnily enough and I couldn't care less what people thought about me, especially you prospect. Your not in school now so your bullying days are over.:D :D

I was the one who was bullied :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

mike65 wrote:
    Toyota Cressida (how not to build a copy-cat Yank Tank)
    The Cressida was the first car I encounted with electric windows in the back and I could not get over the astounding opulence of it all! I must have driven my friend's parents mental with my long running games of "window goes up, window goes down..." :D
    eljono wrote:
    my justification for the 121 is purely on aesthetic grounds. I think it is one of the most offensive looking cars ever. I hate it. How that design was signed off, I'll never know.
    But sure it was just a Fiesta with different badges? Surely you should be blaming the real culprit? :confused:
    unkel wrote:
    As long as the Metro will end up as the Numero Uno. Most cynically marketed small car ever. It is a miracle that the British mainstream car industry managed to hang in there for another decade or two after the Metro before final curtains
    The Metro will end up as the Fiat Uno? :)
    But why is the Metro considered so crap? It shouldn't have been rebadged as as Rover 100, but the biggest mistake Austin Rover Group made was to get rid of the Metro and replace with with nothing! (Well they tried to pretend the MKIII 200 was its replacement but it wasn't). It was a huge seller for the company and was a very popular car. I can't find the stats right now but I think I remember hearing it was the best selling car in its class for many years.

Maybe you're all thinking of the Metro along the lines of this:
    http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006/choir-spoof-p1.php

But check out the Reyland Metro (with the Rover 1.8 VVC K-series engine) beating cossies on the track if you've not seen it already:
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5924463520936838131

I recently had a go of ragging the arse off a Metro 1.4GTa and it was great fun to drive! :D

Peasant, why do you think the 400 is crap and not the 200?

...Ah, didn't mean to be doing the whole riding in to defend the honour of Rover or anything... :rolleyes: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Peasant, why do you think the 400 is crap and not the 200?

Because I only ever drove the 400 :D

Fair enough :)
    Well just to let you know, the 200 is just as crap but comes with a hatchback boot instead :p (er, apart from the coupe, which doesn't).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

junkyard wrote:
    I was looking at Amazon.com and I came across a book called Crap cars and it got me thinking, I'd start a thread here on a similar topic. Well here goes, my crap cars top 10;

1. Citroen BX.
    2. Austin Allegro.
    3. Rover Metro.
    4. Renault Laguna( Any).
    5. Vw Golf/Bora.
    6. Peugeot 307/206.
    7. Fiat Punto/Brava/Bravo.
    8. Alfa Romeo (Any)
    9. Renault Megane.
    10. Skoda Felica.

I'm curious why the Golf and Bora. Is it all of them or just certain mrks? I don't think they are as good as is usually claimed, but then I don't think they are terrible cars. Certainly not as bad as my Mrk 1 Ibiza. I loved my Mrk2 GTI Golf, and I like the interiors of the Bora and the look, especially the V5. We've had a number of VW over the years and while not especially unrealible they did need more work/attention then you'd expect, and parts were expensive, and not always of good quality. Certainly we've had other brands like Nissan, Honda that were vastly more reliable and needed less attention. Never thought VW's were great drivers cars, either but that doesn't make them bad.

Wonder why they are so high on your list?

We had a MrkIII fiesta which I hated with a passion, and a Morris Ital.

• Advertisement

What did you think of the Morris Ital? I'd say they were probably considered to be typical British Leyland muck even back then but I'd love to have one now. Saw one with a Rover T16 turbo engine transplanted into it, and it was kept pretty standard looking. With RWD would be great fun to drive and a hoot for traffic light GPs I reckon! :D

Dull as ditchwater. Lots of minor niggles and the dealer was useless. Was my dads but I drove it a little. My dad was always fiddling with it, and so it was reliable enough for us. We changed it for a Mrk2 Jetta Diesel (first of a couple we had) which was a great car. The Vento which followed those was abysmal. The Vento now has 250k on it, again due to TLC more than any great ability of the car itself. Horrible to drive though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 General_Zod

1. Mercedes (all) - rubbish build quality - bad handling.
    2. VW Golf Mark IV and V - pretentious for a 'very normal' car - rubbish interiors.
    3. Fiat Punto - tin can - unsafe.
    4. Toyota Starlet - especially the so-called glanza chav mobiles.
    5. BMW X3 - a cheap plastic so-called jeep for those who can't afford an X5.
    6. Porsche Boxster - pointless, girley, can't afford a 911.
    7. Renault Megane Convertible - cheap, tackey, flat-screen TV on wheels.
    8. VW Passat - tractor, boat-like handling capabilities.
    9. Smart roadster - toy car with no purpose.
    10. BMW 1-series - marketting ploy, ruins the pedigree.

BMW 3, 5 and 7 series (6/8 cylinder models) are the epitome of automotive brilliance, great quality, great handling, look fabulous (esp. new models) but are unfortunately a bit common now due to people with access to a lot of easy credit.

Sincerely
    General Zod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

In no particular order.

Pre VW SEATs (the ones built with Porsche LOL)
    Pug 407, 207 AND the new coupe
    Alfa 156 and coupe
    Mercedes (all) post 98
    Special edition one off ferrari's
    VW Golf IV, V, old and new passat, Vento
    Audi TT convertable (or ROADSTER)
    All Mazda cars
    All ford cars
    ALL Renaults except the renault 18 and 21
    ALL Citroens (bar that one)
    BMW 316, 318's (coupe), BMW mini's, X5's, X3's, Z3's, Latest 5 series, 1 series
    Porsche 996 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

Here Goes

Aforementioned Maestro and Montegas but anyone who bought these (and was not British) should be locked up anyway

Anything by Lada obviously. (Not many people know this but Ladas arent really even a car they are in fact a big wardrobe with wheels!!)

Hillman Hunter : Now there was a genuine pile of horse manure

Anything by Peugeot, but particularly the 104 (God Bless It) and the 607 (which I had and blew up after 25K miles)

Anything by Daewoo, Daihatsu or Suzuki (they should stick to making bikes)

Renault 18 and 21 (Everything that didnt involve electricity worked fine in them)

Anything that even resembles a Rover, 75,45 etc etc etc

For the future anything made in China

The BMW 1 series. (If I want a BMW 1 Ill buy an Audi)

Jeep Cherokee (Give me a REAL tractor any day)

...6. Porsche Boxster - pointless, girley, can't afford a 911.....

BMW 3, 5 and 7 series (6/8 cylinder models) are the epitome of automotive brilliance, great quality, great handling, look fabulous (esp. new models) but are unfortunately a bit common now due to people with access to a lot of easy credit....

The JC guide to motoring. :rolleyes:

The point of the boxster is mid engined, sublime handling, and no roof. Better handling than most other cars including the 911. Which is why porsche have had to work so hard, trying to not let it be faster than the 911. The quality of a car is not determined by how expensive it is, or by how "macho" it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

In no particular order.

Alfa 156 and coupe
    Mercedes (all) post 98
    All Mazda cars
    All ford cars

Its 10 CRAP cars Hash....;)
    i would be interested to know why you have included some really good cars there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭joeblogg1

In no particular order.

Alfa 156 and coupe
    Mercedes (all) post 98
    All Mazda cars
    All ford cars

Agree
    Anyone who includes the Renault 18 and 21 in their list of good cars leaves little room for being taken seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

joeblogg1 wrote:
    Agree
    Anyone who includes the Renault 18 and 21 in their list of good cars leaves little room for being taken seriously

The 18 was a pretty good car I thought. I remember them being everywhere when I was younger.

So... what has not been nominated as being crap??!?

Look I was 5 and they spent most of there time on my parents drive way, so I got to know them fairly well.!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭sneakyST

maidhc wrote:
    The 18 was a pretty good car I thought. I remember them being everywhere when I was younger.

So... what has not been nominated as being crap??!?

MG ZR
    MGF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

1. Ford (all models)
    2. Mercedes (horrible build quality, especially in the electronics)
    3. Lada Riva
    4. Austin Metro (I hate you, the amount of time pumping the suspension up, trying to change tyres :mad: ).
    5. Renault (all cars, badly and stupidly built)
    6. Rover/MG (all cars except the 618)
    7. Peugot
    8. Mitsubishi Pajero
    9. Alfa (most models)
    10. Citroen (all models)

silas wrote:
    Rover/MG (all cars except the 618)
    Oh come on! What was wrong with the 620 and 623 that wasn't wrong with the 618 then? :confused:

Damn, really didn't mean to be constantly leaping on the Rover defensive here! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

IrishRover wrote:
    Damn, really didn't mean to be constantly leaping on the Rover defensive here! :o

I don't blame you! This thread is gone silly. How can anyone say all of x manufacturers cars are "crap". Even lada made a pretty good 4x4!

It would be interesting if people said why a particular model is crap and why they make the assertion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

maidhc wrote:
    I don't blame you! This thread is gone silly. How can anyone say all of x manufacturers cars are "crap". Even lada made a pretty good 4x4!

It would be interesting if people said why a particular model is crap and why they make the assertion.

and what car they currently drive

What difference does it make knowing what car they drive.. I have an 06 A8 4.2 Tdi BTW.

What difference does it make knowing what car they drive.. I have an 06 A8 4.2 Tdi BTW.

Was wondering that myself. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

because if anyone drives a piece of crap (which you don't) then their ability to judge a poor car would be questionable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

No one here can judge the worst cars EVER, without having driven an awful lot of cars (or a lot of awful cars!).
    Someone knocking an entire marque, because their parents had a dodgy one in the late seventies is just typical BS you hear from people in this country, and on this forum.
    The amount of misinformed and half baked crap I read on this forum never ceases to amaze me. And this thread is the epitome of all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,404 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dunno where to even start so here are just a few at random:

1. Metro
    2. Renault 12/14/25 (just hated them, especially the 12)
    3. Merc ML (piece of utter sh!te). B and A class almost belong here too
    4. Totota Corolla (nothing wrong with it, just incredibly boring)
    5. Toyota Avensis (nothing wrong with it, just incredibly boring)
    6. Allegro / Maestro, almost anything British and mainstream of the 70s and 80s
    7. VW Golf after Mk2 although they seem to be getting better now
    8. All cars made in China / India, almost all cars made in Korea and the vast majority of cars made in Japan
    9. Ford Scorpio (the last one), but great value for money if you're blind
    10. All cynically marketed, platform-sharing cars that are a lot less than we're led to believe

Advertisement