Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Logo, is it ok?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Hey TheGooner, thanks for that, I agree with your point. I know, i'm crap, I am *trying* to learn designing, make a bit of money(which ye said i'm crap at), but i feel, when i have learned programming, it will be much better for me. I enjoy PHP more than design tbh

I will have a look, at everything. When My graphics pad is fixed, I will have a better chance

My art teacher(who I praise) is very sound and she has told me about all different ways of drawing, she can help me there. As for now, i'm stuck with a laptop mouse...
    Thanks all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Ahh 14. Not bad work for your age and knowing PHP at your age? Pretty impressive. Keep it up and you'll have a nice future and you will become creative, - i believe creativity can be learned

I must admit, I have taken everything everyone has said harshly but I am getting better, I don't know that much PHP yet and ASP is a blank sheet at the moment

Something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think that looks like it should be on the front of a fish fingers box, sorry.

The fonts aren't very special there imo. Also the hard edges of the text compared to the fuzzy brush you've used for the container shape doesn't look right.

I quite like that shape you've made though, if you could make it a bit more defined and symmetrical it could be nice with a new font logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Gordon wrote:
    The fonts aren't very special there imo. Also the hard edges of the text compared to the fuzzy brush you've used for the container shape doesn't look right.
    My first thoughts exactly.
    Maybe make the red bits harsh (as opposed to fuzzy), maybe with a shadow edge, to create a 3D look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

nevf wrote:
    Something like this?

Toothpaste?

TheGooner wrote:
    Toothpaste?
    maybe!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

nevf wrote:
    maybe!

;)

I don't mean to be putting up a new logo every eight hours but here is another one I made. I have two versions of it.

I know these ones are going to get criticism too and and putting such crap up here is waste of time...sorry!

it will be a logo for my website, but when i remove the "my portfolio" writing, that will be my logo

Note that I have changed the name from "NevF", to "Web Nev (Design)". Was that a good idea?

9.7: is without a drop shadow
    9.8: is with a drop shadow (afaik)
    (Both are png files, as always!)

your colors, fonts and effects are all wrong sorry.

Colors - I think there is too much of a contrast and i believe one should keep away from using primary colors such as those unless you know exactly what you are doing

fonts - way too bouncy, more like what you'd see on a shop sign or an ice cream van (don't ask me why i thought of this!).

Effects - Never and i mean never use that ugly drop shaddow, it is horrible!

• Advertisement

I done up a 10 minute sample there for you, maybe it would inspire you but see how basic fonts with just 2 colors and a few simple, and i mean simple effects can turn out nice enough. Advanced effects such as bevel, drop shaddow - I think they spoil things imho.

Edit: Just realised i put down Web New instead of Web Nev but you get the idea neways

Ok, now your joking, 10MINS??? fine piece of art for 10mins work! I like it....What program did you use?

I used photoshop. I would definetely recommend you to start using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Webmonkey - nice job.

Photoshop is very powerful, but it's only a tool. You could get comparable results with other tools - you just need to know how to use them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

At the risk of feeding a troll..

nevf what program are you using?

Nice one webmonkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Webmonkey wrote:
    I done up a 10 minute sample there for you, maybe it would inspire you but see how basic fonts with just 2 colors and a few simple, and i mean simple effects can turn out nice enough. Advanced effects such as bevel, drop shaddow - I think they spoil things imho.

Edit: Just realised i put down Web New instead of Web Nev but you get the idea neways

perfect guide tbh. lots of stuff gets put up here and it's just too much going on. simple effects that can be done in PS or even PSP are the way to go! good job..
    nevf wrote:
    Ok, now your joking, 10MINS??? fine piece of art for 10mins work! I like it....What program did you use?

photoshop is your saviour. free trial on the adobe website

Webmonkey - nice job....Nice one webmonkey....good job...
    Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

nevf wrote:
    I swear by Comic Sans MS because its clearer than other fonts, the blue effect is colorful as a background.

I swear AT Comic Sans 'cause it'd damn hideous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

nevf wrote:

Do remember that Internet Explorer doesn't support png files properly; in particular, it doesn't support transparency in png files.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

You might be interested in gimpshop, it's the gimp with a photoshop style interface, and it's free, but I haven't tried it so I can't rate it. Lot's more apps at http://www.osalt.com/graphic-applications

I still use corel out of inertia, typically my graphics start in Draw as vectors, then finish in Paint for raster effects.

Whatever you use, put in the time to get proficient in it.

• Advertisement

I know but Fireworks only gives one "save" option: png

I have photoshop that came with my brothers laptop, he never used it, so i'm going to steal his license ;), I think its legal to have the license on a different computer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

In fireworks you need to use Export to save your file as gif or jpeg.

Nice work Webmonkey.

nevf wrote:
    I know but Fireworks only gives one "save" option: png

I have photoshop from a trial that came with my brothers laptop, he never used it, so i'm going to steal his license ;), I think its legal to have the license on a different computer?
    If it is a trial license then you can use it on any computer any number of times so i dont' think you are stealing anything

Webmonkey wrote:
    If it is a trial license then you can use it on any computer any number of times so i dont' think you are stealing anything
    I only realised my mistake there, and edited, its actually one full license

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

nevf wrote:
    9.7: is without a drop shadow
    9.8: is with a drop shadow (afaik)
    Of these two I think that the drop shadow looks best (though readability is sacraficed a little). Having said that, I prefer the previous design (though it need a little work). Fair play to you for coming up with such diverse designs.

daymobrew wrote:
    Of these two I think that the drop shadow looks best (though readability is sacraficed a little). Having said that, I prefer [URL="http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?.the previous design[/URL] (though it need a little work).
    Thanks, I suppose a little editing would fix that better....
    daymobrew wrote:
    p=51959551&postcount=34"]Fair play to you for coming up with such diverse designs

Thanks! I must admit: Diverse but Crap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

tbh, dont use photoshop for logos. if they ever need to goto print it will be a nightmare, use a vector based program such as illustrator

yay, i got that program(illustrator) too! Why do you not recommend photoshop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

fine piece of art for 10mins work!....What program did you use?
    Frankly, it doesn't matter. IMO you seem to lack a sense of design, and artistic ability. He could well have used a crayon and gotten the same results. You, however, are highly unlikely to no matter what you use.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I admire your resolve and resilience nevf. Keep at it, you'll always have people happy to help you out here.

Also, the Digital Art / Design forum ;)
    Frankly, it doesn't matter. IMO you seem to lack a sense of design, and artistic ability. He could well have used a crayon and gotten the same results. You, however, are highly unlikely to no matter what you use.

pretty shítty thing to say to a kid aidan. Everybody was making site with black backgrounds and comic sans when starting off in the late ninties, it's incredibly hypocritical of you to be slating someone, unless you can show your fantastic origins from age 14?

I'm tempted to pull out my first crappy website other than for the fact that I swore it would never see the light of Internet again if I could help it.

Advertisement