Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Staunton Must Go!...

• 17-08-2006 7:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

...is todays headline in The Star, a rant by Mr.Dunphy ! Worth a read for the amusement if nothing else!

Dunphy states "its the worse Irish performance I have EVER seen"

In fairness he might have a point there ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

What about the most depleted squad he has ever seen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

You mean Keane, Duff and Dunne? You cant blame Kenny for any of those goals last night, only Dunne was missing from the back 4 and I dont think Keane or Duff would had made that much difference to the abject performance of their team mates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Sizzler wrote:
    You mean Keane, Duff and Dunne? You cant blame Kenny for any of those goals last night, only Dunne was missing from the back 4 and I dont think Keane or Duff would had made that much difference to the abject performance of their team mates.
    So are you saying that you agree with Dunphy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Sizzler wrote:

he was missing our four best players

given, dunne, duff and keane

our best keeper, our best defender, our best midfielder and best striker

and the captain and vice captain

if they had played, that would not have been the result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Is there any way of reading dunphys article online?
    It was a terrible performance, but **** it, look at the team we had! Holland are one of the bst teams in the world, it means nothing. Our chances of qualifying for the European Cup are slim to none, with those players. Theres not a whole lot Staunton can do, but unfortunately he's gonna get all the blame anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Depends what he said, aint read it yet, just seen the banner headlines.

Ive been going to Ireland games for 15 yrs so I wont profess to be an expert but cant say I remember us being outplayed that much before. I remember being at the Argentina game about 5/6 yrs ago when Batistuta was in his pomp and they kicked our arses and we still only lost 3-1 (I think) that day.
    Utterly disgraceful to get hockied by that score on our own ground, moreover, no organisation and no fight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

Sizzler wrote:
    ... moreover, no organisation and no fight!

Agree totally.

Looking at O'Shea, Miller and Carr freewheel around made my blood boil.

In regards to preparation - Carr looked lost. Completely lost. I have never seen a player wander aimlessly like that in a senior international. Now, fair enough, a few people have made the point that it's pre season. But the season begins in a few days.

They should at least be up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

There was always going to be calls for him to be sacked if we lost by this amount, but lets put things into perspective. We probably have our worst team in years, even in worse condition than when Mick took over. It was a friendly, missing our best players, and if we sack Stan, who would want to take over the Irish job?

Yes the performance was a shocker, and yes you can moan, but sacking is not the be all and end all to end Irelands troubles.

I just read it. It's just your usual sensationalism from Dunphy. He alludes to the fact that the signs where there against Chile, whoever he fails to mention the Sweden match. So he's basically saying that the 2 friendlies where we get beaten are the ones to make your mind up that Staunton is not good enough and just igonre the one that we won. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Stan ain't good enough, but I think we should all reserve our judgment until at least he's played a few competitive matches. Friendlies tend to through up some odd results. Would Germany be beaten by England 5-1 in a competitive match? Would Italy beat Germany 4-1 in a competitive match? Would Ireland beat Sweden 3-0 in a competitive match??? etc., etc.,

BaZmO* wrote:
    I just read it. It's just your usual sensationalism from Dunphy. He alludes to the fact that the signs where there against Chile, whoever he fails to mention the Sweden match. So he's basically saying that the 2 friendlies where we get beaten are the ones to make your mind up that Staunton is not good enough and just igonre the one that we won. :rolleyes:

Perhaps Stan ain't good enough, but I think we should all reserve our judgment until at least he's played a few competitive matches. Friendlies tend to through up some odd results. Would Germany be beaten by England 5-1 in a competitive match? Would Italy beat Germany 4-1 in a competitive match? Would Ireland beat Sweden 3-0 in a competitive match??? etc., etc.,

Miss the 2001 World Cup qualifier? :D

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote:
    Miss the 2001 World Cup qualifier? :D
    Haha!! For some reason I had it in my head that that was a friendly. Ah well! :o But it does show that all teams are subject to the odd thrashing every now and again.

Not only will Dunphy have a rant, but has anyone ever read a Roy Curtis article in the Sunday World? I'm sure he'll be having a go at him to

Unearthly wrote:
    Not only will Dunphy have a rant, but has anyone ever read a Roy Curtis article in the Sunday World? I'm sure he'll be having a go at him to

you mean is he can remove his head from roy keane's ars@

or if he can stop giving out about the PL and players diving?

id imagine he loves the sound of his own voice and likes making up his own metaphors

an idiot is what he is, an isiot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Ireland, with their BEST squad out, would do well to draw or lose by a couple to the Dutch. They are of the best teams in the world. Ireland are nowhere near their class. You cant read too much into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

event wrote:
    an idiot is what he is, an isiot

Ah, that made me laugh.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting we sack Staunton. But what Germany will do to us in a competitive match on front of their home crowd if we show up prepared last night does not bear thinking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Once again Dunphy is pandering to the lowest knee jerk common denominator. I wasn't too pleased with that result last night, but I certainly wont be shouting from the roof tops about how poor it was.

As I have said in another thread, people seem to think that the last 20 years are what is the norm for Irish football. Its not. We are a small nation, with very few decent footballers. Our national association does NOTHING to nurture talent over here, prefering to let the UK do that for us. It ignores our domestic league entirely. Now I know there may not be too many players there who could feasibly make an impact, but whose fault is that? The players for not being good enough, or the FAI for not even attempting to develop the game from grass roots level in this country.

Last nights result was about right. The dutch even without a few stars still have better players in most position than the irish at full strength.

quad_red wrote:
    Ah, that made me laugh.

I don't think anyone here is suggesting we sack Staunton. But what Germany will do to us in a competitive match on front of their home crowd if we show up prepared last night does not bear thinking about.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

I don't think he should be sacked but sure as hell he should never have been appointed in the 1st place.We don't have the players to qualify for anything and maybe the future might bring one or two through who might lift us to qualify for tournaments . . . We can but dream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Roy Curtis is a wanker of the highest order and I wouldn't be bothered reading any of the ****e he comes out with. I'm sure he will be having a go, but I won't be reading it. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭KeithMur

Eamo's always on hand to hammer a few nails. Its not as if he can talk about commitment, havent heard his slurring voice on Newstalk lately. Nearly sure he's called in sick till the end of his contract (end of August), but he's still able to jot a few words down on some rag paper.

• Advertisement

Bateman wrote:
    Roy Curtis is a wanker of the highest order and I wouldn't be bothered reading any of the ****e he comes out with. I'm sure he will be having a go, but I won't be reading it. :mad:
    You're not wrong.

Also, Eamo's rant is in the Star, the same paper that has a picture of Andy Reid with the words "Stephen Reid - Player Rating 5" along side it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

BaZmO* wrote:
    You're not wrong.

Also, Eamo's rant is in the Star, the same paper that has a picture of Andy Reid with the words "Stephen Reid - Player Rating 5" along side it. :rolleyes:
    :D yeah I noticed that too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 623 ✭✭✭hawker27

staunton what a joke,his interviews are personified by not having a clue on comments about the game.
    i can tell u one thing for sure it will be a long veryyyyyy longggggg time before ireland ever compete in another major championship.

he should get sven goran erickson as his number 2 now that would be a top partnership.fai what a fecking jokeeeee.........

hawker27 wrote:
    staunton what a joke,his interviews are personified by not having a clue on comments about the game.
    i can tell u one thing for sure it will be a long veryyyyyy longggggg time before ireland ever compete in another major championship.

he should get sven goran erickson as his number 2 now that would be a top partnership.fai what a fecking jokeeeee.........

So who are you blaming? Staunton for having feck all talent available to him, or the FAI for their lack of interested in developing our own players?

straight up staunton has,nt a clue.
    great player in his day no doubt,but not a international manager.
    the fai are another joke,the whole ireland set up is a complete JOKE.

Ok, so rather than shoot for the easy target - Stan, you should be aiming for the root of the problem, the FAI and their lack of decent groundwork for anything in Irish football.

Is there another FA in the top 100 who do not own at least one stadium which is up to international standard?

Is there another FA in the top 100 who prefer to see their players nurtured abroad than at home?

Is there another FA in the top 100 who show their national league complete and utter comtempt?

Fact is, none of this sis Stauntons fault. What was he to do, not take the job? He obviously feels he can do a job, and who knows? He may make something of it. I doubt he will, but that is more down to two of the three reasons mentioned above, than his own managerial capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Of all the players missing last night, I think we missed Given the most for his organisation of the defence.

Secondly, the following players showed last night that they shouldn't be playing international football - Carr, Kavanagh, Kilbane, & Miller - either through their lack of skill and/or their lack of passion. I lost count of the number of times I wanted to kick the TV after Kavanagh or Kilbane aimlessly headed on a kick out or clearance from defence to no one in particular. Send these guys out to pasture and blood some of the younger players now.

Finally, I think the last few days have shown how little respect some of the established players in the current squad have for Staunton....some of them couldn't be bothered turning up for the game and pulled out through injury, and those that did turn up gave way less than 100%.

I do think that some of the young lads up front did ok - McGeady & Doyle for example.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

hawker27 wrote:
    the whole ireland set up is a complete JOKE.

Have to agree there ,there seems to be nothing professional about it , the players when they come over for matches treat the whole thing like a holiday , they are on the piss the whole time they are here . The FAI dont give a **** once they are making money .

If things dont change Croker will be a very empty stadium when we are playing there .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Nothing like a bit of flying off the handle to brighten the day.

The chap had a depleated squad that came up against one of the best teams in the world and one that has a good crack at the world cup next time round. This due to the amount of young players available.

Stan didn't do too badly with what he had to work with. I'm amazed that we seem to be getting more like the English every day when it comes to football. Give no-one a chance and hound everyone that tries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Eamonn Dunphy trying to revive his flagging 'career' by having a go at an Irish manager. Where have we seen that before?

We had half a squad, lost to one of the best emerging teams in the world at the moment - who, incidently - have been playing and training together all summer long. I wasn't an advocate of Staunton getting the job but now that he has it, he should be given two years to prove himself. Idiots like Dunphy trying to create problems for him already should only ever be treated with contempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Should never have been made manager in the 1st place. I think its a bit early to call for his neck yet, atleast wait till we get trashed in a competitive match. But it dosent matter who we have as a manager Ireland just dont have the players to compete with the top class sides. We did well to get to the few tournaments we did, & in fairness the players back then where better than the ones we have at the moment.
    I cant see Ireland qualifying for anything for a long time & anyone who thinks we have a good chance of getting to Euro 2008 needs to wake up, Germany will rip us apart, I'd be suprised if we beat Slovakia to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

gimmick wrote:

Is there another FA in the top 100 who do not own at least one stadium which is up to international standard?

To be fair very few FA's own their own stadia.
    Most National Football organisations use grounds owned by the clubs or business consortiums.

fully agree m8 well said.
    the best manager we had since big jack was mick mccarthy he nearly took us to the semis in 2002.

tdv wrote:
    Should never have been made manager in the 1st place. I think its a bit early to call for his neck yet, atleast wait till we get trashed in a competitive match. But it dosent matter who we have as a manager Ireland just dont have the players to compete with the top class sides. We did well to get to the few tournaments we did, & in fairness the players back then where better than the ones we have at the moment.
    I cant see Ireland qualifying for anything for a long time & anyone who thinks we have a good chance of getting to Euro 2008 needs to wake up, Germany will rip us apart, I'd be suprised if we beat Slovakia to be honest

gimmick wrote:
    Ok, so rather than shoot for the easy target - Stan, you should be aiming for the root of the problem, the FAI and their lack of decent groundwork for anything in Irish football.

Is there another FA in the top 100 who prefer to see their players nurtured abroad than at home?

Is there another FA in the top 100 who show their national league complete and utter comtempt?

Fact is, none of this sis Stauntons fault. What was he to do, not take the job? He obviously feels he can do a job, and who knows? He may make something of it. I doubt he will, but that is more down to two of the three reasons mentioned above, than his own managerial capabilities.

Good post and you're correct about the FA. They're a complete shambles.

However, last nights performance lacked effort. You don't need to be a great player to put in effort, and lets not forget they're Premiership players which is apparently one of the best leagues in the world. Sure enough Staunton has an awful job and a very limited team, but a bit more effort and fight to make us more competitive wouldn't go a stray

I don't want Staunton sacked, tunnel vision view. I am prepared to give him a chance and to let him learn his trade. Mick, despite what Dunphy and Roy Curtis etc say became a good Ireland manager after a few years when he learnt from his mistakes, lets hope Stan does to

To be fair very few FA's own their own stadia.
    Most National Football organisations use grounds owned by the clubs or business consortiums.

Fair enough, but the fact we have no 'soccer' stadia in the country which are up to international standard speaks volumes about the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Unearthly wrote:

Dunphy and Curtis are the two worst football writers on the planet!
    They make me laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

hawker27 wrote:

What did you want him to say, if he had said it the way it was he would have said "At the end of the day I had to start with 11 players that if managed by Alex Fergusion, wouldnt win a match in the Eircom League"

Face it people......We dont have the squad we are used to having, we dont have any world class players anymore. If we get into a routine of sacking managers everytime things go wrong we will never have a long term manager, Even Duff and Keane imo our two best players are hardly setting the premiership alight. When someone finds a magic wand then we might have a team.

Another problem as I see it, with all the premiership teams buying ready made stars, chelsea, arsenal, liverpool etc. It is becoming harder and harder for Irish young lads to get a break in england, during Charltons era, the team was made up of First Divison Stars with top teams, playing week in week out.

The gap between a premiership reserves or the championship and the international football is widening by the day.
    hawker27 wrote:
    the best manager we had since big jack was mick mccarthy he nearly took us to the semis in 2002.
    How does losing on penalities in the last 16 = Nearly took us to the semis? You that sure we would have beaten korea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

gimmick wrote:
    Fair enough, but the fact we have no 'soccer' stadia in the country which are up to international standard speaks volumes about the FAI.

You can also partially lay the blame on our past governments and our current wonderful government for screwing around and failing to provide funding for world class sports and soccer facilities (obviously all this applies to sports which are not part of the GAA!) Unlike the English FA who have a 48 million population of potential supporters and a huge domestic league and cup competitions we have a miniscule fraction of that and lack of support in our domestic league would hardly even warrant a world class 20,000 seater stadia. Obviously the FAI have alot to the blame for the state or Irish football but our governments have not done enough either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭joebhoy1916

Agreed went to the game worse whooping in 40 years at Landsdown cant understand why they never got Martin O Neill you all must admit he is a good manager. No chance for Euro IMO but still have my finger's crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I was at the game

utter shíte

if I ever bump into Kilbane or Kavanagh I'll choke them. Watchin those muppets live made my mind up...I stuck up for Kilbane before but that was the worst performance by him in an irish jersey and he's had a few.

waste of time, waste of money, i'll never go to an Ireland friendly again. ever.

Staunton - inexperienced

Merrion Sqr muppets should all be shot.

Im not happy:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Marcais

Absolute nonsense calling for Staunton's head now...if anyone needs decapitating it's the FAI and the head it should lose is obvious...Dullaney. He made the wrong appointment no matter how bad or good Stan does. It was the wrong appointment but he should be given as much help as possible, just because Dullaney threw him to the lions doesn't meant we have to chew him up.

Stan could still get it right for Stuttgart with guidance and should not get this type of press.

ps. Stan's first match, a 3-0 win, Mclarens's first match a 4-0 win, let's hope Mclaren follows the same pattern.:)

Marcais wrote:
    Absolute nonsense calling for Staunton's head now...if anyone needs decapitating it's the FAI and the head it should lose is obvious...Dullaney. He made the wrong appointment no matter how bad or good Stan does.
    Huh? He made the wrong decision no matter how good Stan does? How does that work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

BaZmO* wrote:
    Huh? He made the wrong decision no matter how good Stan does? How does that work?

The outcome from a decision has no effect on wheater it was a good decision or not. If you re mortgaged your house and bought lotto tickets with the money even if you won the lotto the decision to do so was a bad one. Apointing Stanton with no experence to a relitivly high profile job was a bad decision no matter what the outcome is.

So if he, lets say for argument sake, brought us to the semis of Euro 2008. He would of still been a poor appointment? : \

I have never read such logic before!

The outcome from a decision has no effect on wheater it was a good decision or not. If you re mortgaged your house and bought lotto tickets with the money even if you won the lotto the decision to do so was a bad one. Apointing Stanton with no experence to a relitivly high profile job was a bad decision no matter what the outcome is.
    lol

Unearthly wrote:
    So if he, lets say for argument sake, brought us to the semis of Euro 2008. He would of still been a poor appointment? : \

I have never read such logic before!

Its simple probability even if he wins Euro 2008 which there is a very small probability a better decision would be to have apointed a manager with a higher probability of winning it.

:D

It was a risk, like anything in Business. If say someone starts a new business, and it succeeds, It was a good decision, if the business failed, it a poor decision.

You earlier example is not the same. Re-mortgaging your house and winning the lotto have no affect on each other. For example, the person probably would of bought a lotto ticket anyway, whether they re-mortgaged the house or not.

Stans performance and success would of been a direct cause of his appointment.

Whether another manager would of done better is irrelevant. He would of outdone the expecations any Irish fan would of had, whether he had Mourinho or Staunton

Unearthly wrote:
    :D

It was a risk, like anything in Business. If say someone starts a new business, and it succeeds, It was a good decision, if the business failed, it a poor decision.

You earlier example is not the same. Re-mortgaging your house and winning the lotto have no affect on each other. For example, the person probably would of bought a lotto ticket anyway, whether they re-mortgaged the house or not.

Stans performance and success would of been a direct cause of his appointment.

Whether another manager would of done better is irrelevant. He would of outdone the expecations any Irish fan would of had, whether he had Mourinho or Staunton

I ment spent the entire €100,000 remortgage on lotto tickets which they would not have done otherwise

im not going in to this further as im no expert on it but as I was told by an applied statistics lecturer who I assume had some kid of masters degree in the subject the outcome of a decision is irrelevant to wheater it was a good decision or not.

Interesting.

I know about probability etc, and it's used to size up a risk. I would of always based a decision on its outcome though.

Advertisement