Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happened with....

• 17-08-2006 8:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭

Can't remember the episode name, think it was early (S1 or S2 in TNG) when these little parasites were wrapping themselves around the spinal cord and taking over the hosts body and also giving the host a fair bit extra strength (can anyone say Stargate).

Some commander was host to mammy parasite and Riker and Picard blew his head off in Starfleet Command. But he'd sent a message to his home planet. That story arc came to a halt right there or was it my imagination?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

gatecrash wrote:
    Can't remember the episode name, think it was early (S1 or S2 in TNG) when these little parasites were wrapping themselves around the spinal cord and taking over the hosts body and also giving the host a fair bit extra strength (can anyone say Stargate).

Some commander was host to mammy parasite and Riker and Picard blew his head off in Starfleet Command. But he'd sent a message to his home planet. That story arc came to a halt right there or was it my imagination?

As with many star trek stories / technology / events it got forgotten or destroyed by every ships plot hole device

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

It was touched on in a few books I think.

The parasites were genetically modified versions of the Trill, out for revenge against the galaxy. Some rubbish like that anyway.

IRL: The story was supposed to be about a conspiracy within Starfleet but Gene Rodenberry decided that no member of Starfleet would be involved in such a thing, so the parasites got added, and were promptly dumped in the bin of crap ideas to be ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Another twist on this that I read somewhere was that they were lining the parasites up to be a creepy new recurring enemy for TNG but later decided to go with the Borg instead (Good thing too ;) )
    The parasites were never heard of again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭berengar

Trill ?? whats that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

berengar wrote:
    Trill ?? whats that ?

Dax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Another twist on this that I read somewhere was that they were lining the parasites up to be a creepy new recurring enemy for TNG but later decided to go with the Borg instead (Good thing too ;) )
    The parasites were never heard of again.

Its a good thing that they never developed that storyline, IMO. If they did there might never have been a Stargate franchise.

Also if they had developed these parasites, then we might never have had the Borg.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

wait, is that the episode where they eat worms and riker (I think) fires at the commander with the parasites subsequently oozing out of him? That episode freaked me out when I was a kid. But yeah the borg rock much more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

wait, is that the episode where they eat worms and riker (I think) fires at the commander with the parasites subsequently oozing out of him? That episode freaked me out when I was a kid. But yeah the borg rock much more.

Don't think the eating part is all that voluntary, but that's the one alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Yeah and Manolito from the High Chaperal played a Vulcan admiral.

Advertisement