Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distance around the Lough ?

Options
  • 17-08-2006 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Hi All,
    Sorry if this has been debated before.

Just trying to settle a bet. does anyone know how many laps aroung the Lough would be a mile. Someone has said 2 laps would be a mile and someone else thinks it's a mile a lap....

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

just found the attached on google and the cork city council website :

"The Lough is one of Cork's more striking natural features. Its presence, as an amenity to the public is becoming increasingly important in an area that has undergone immense urbanisation. Much work has been done on improving the Lough for wild fowl and also for visitors. Public lighting, signs, pathways, trees and islands have all been provided. Popular walks surround the Lough and the outer walk is exactly one mile in circumference. :)

http://www.corkcity.ie/news/archive/2004/lights_lough.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

scuby wrote:
    Popular walks surround the Lough and the outer walk is exactly one mile in circumference

Convenient that the council says it's exactly one mile. Someone needs to get out there and measure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

TBH I'd be taking google's word for it. better than some trundel wheel clad monkey anyway :)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

I would say the outside ring is less than a mile.
    I walked it the other day and it took less than 15 minutes, which is usually what it takes me to do a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭trilo

job well done i say

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Neeadakeen

Measured it today- 1.24 km around the outside track (without taking in a very short extra loop at one corner).
    I measured it using a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS running watch. I'll get it down to the metre the next time.

I'd be interested to see what other watches measured it at. I will redo it again tomorrow as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dob74

scuby wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Sorry if this has been debated before.

Just trying to settle a bet. does anyone know how many laps aroung the Lough would be a mile. Someone has said 2 laps would be a mile and someone else thinks it's a mile a lap....

cheers

outside track 1.108km or 11/16 of a mile.
    inside just under a 1 km.

I marked it out before christmas some of the marks are gone. 00 is near the hawthorn 100metre marks are visible on the road side of the path, .5k mark is just before you turn on city side going anti clockwise .

Hmm,
    now that's two who say 1.1 km approx.

I'm out by over a 100 metres if that's the case.

If I'm wrong, that's a massive error in the watch.

6f was the local's story on it back in the day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

RoverJames wrote: »
    6f was the local's story on it back in the day :)
    A furlong is 200 metres by the way so 6 furlongs = 1.2km.

So we've got:

Neeadakeen's GPS and RoverJames "local's story" claiming 1.2km
    vs
    DaveIrl's Google map and Dob74's markings claiming 1.1km

Place your bets.

I just remeasured tonight. I did it very carefully.

And I came up with 1.1 km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Im heading out there now with my measuring tape.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Neeadakeen wrote: »
    I just remeasured tonight. I did it very carefully.

And I came up with 1.1 km.
    Well i own a garmin too and the accuracy is meant to be within like 1.4% or else theres a problem they will sort.

Thanks Outkast. I didn't know about the 'acceptable' margin of error. Good to know.

However this is a new watch for me, so the likelihood that it's user error over watch error is pretty high. I turned the bloody thing off tonight trying to measure, for example...only noticed a km or so later when my body was telling me there should be a beep! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Neeadakeen wrote: »
    Thanks Outkast. I didn't know about the 'acceptable' margin of error. Good to know.

However this is a new watch for me, so the likelihood that it's user error over watch error is pretty high. I turned the bloody thing off tonight trying to measure, for example...only noticed a km or so later when my body was telling me there should be a beep! :D
    I only bought a garmin 205 last week so i found the 1.4% figure in my research , they are very accurate in comparison to the various phone apps/ pedometers people are using.

Im still learning the buttons too all i use is the start , stop , Lap , and reset .

Are you uploading to garmin connect the online stuff is better than the software you get with it.

Are you uploading to garmin connect the online stuff is better than the software you get with it.[/QUOTE]

No I'm not! Haven't even tried yet. To be honest, haven't even eked out all the features on the watch yet. Absolutely love it though. Has totally changed my running experience already.

Good luck with your new watch! I met a girl out running with a 205 and she said she loved it. Good stuff.

• Advertisement

(hmmm i must check how to do the 'quotes' sorry :p

Live right beside it, mapped it on mapmyrun.
    1.1k. Def not a mile

Advertisement