Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abortion Information

• 17-08-2006 10:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

hey has any one here ever had an abortion in england?
    CAn you share the best way to pursue it?
    Posibly also the cheapest please...im over 18 but still living at home so kind of restricted...
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Read the Charter sticky at the top of this forum for some useful links.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

consider going to amsterdam. the procedure is faster, everybody speaks english, you mostly likely cannot pay with credit card though.
    also the procedure is done with local anaestatics meaning you can leave soon after and are in a fit state to travel.
    expect pain like period cramps for a few days.
    also mirena as method as future contraception can be fitted straight away.
    the treatment and mirena together will cost around €500.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

pregnant wrote:
    hey has any one here ever had an abortion in england?
    CAn you share the best way to pursue it?
    Posibly also the cheapest please...im over 18 but still living at home so kind of restricted...
    thanks!

have you talked to a doctor? have you talked to the father of the child? he has a Right to know....

The Marie Stopes clinic is one of the best options - you can look up their website. They are thorough and totally helpful. I think the one in Essex or Sussex deals with alot of Irish girls. If you ring and don't be afraid they will plan it down to having a taxi driver waiting at Stanstead for you... I think it's about €30 to the clinic in a taxi. I went with another girl. It's possible to do it in a day with anesthetic - you could get early morning flight and latest flight back. They only do operations in the morning though before 11 I think. It can come to up to a grand including flights for two people. Don't be afraid to ring and discuss it with them. I've heard about herbs to make you miscarry but I don't know is it safe depending on how far along you are. I hope it works out for you. Don't be afraid to ask those closest to you for financial help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@Agent Smith: I think it's clear from the previous post that the poster was referring to "pill" abortions in another country.

@Boozy Babe: Leave the modding to us, and don't start making comments about other posters that could result in this thread being directed off-topic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

BoozyBabe wrote:
    Agent Smith:-it's quite obvious from your posts, what you opinion on abortion is.
    I too have my own opinions, but that's not what this thread is about.

The OP has simply requested information about abortions & where to go to get them.

I think if we have answers to the requested info we should post in this thread, otherwise we should stay well out of it.

Best of luck OP

I am Of the Personal Belief that what a Consenting adult does is there Own Business, I Personally Am Pro Choice,

However it is also my personal Belief that In a Desision such as this, the father of the Child has a right to know.

Sorry If I came across as a Strong "pro lifer".

To the OP,
    If you have desided that This is For you, i would recomend seeing a Doctor first, there may be Issues That could need to be addressed before you travel, If you are in college, you could speak to your student unions welfare officer (if they have one) and look into your options.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

http://www.fpa.org.uk/helpnow/abortion/index.htm

Agent Smith
    Please don't comment in a thread unless you have some useful help for the OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Hi OP,

I'm not sure what part of Ireland you are in but the Well Woman clinic in Dublin would be able to help you out with information.

Their website at http://www.wellwomancentre.ie/pregnancy.html explains all there is to crisis pregnancy including the legalities surrounding this in Ireland and what information you can get.

Best of luck,
    A.

Hi OP,

I was recently in a similiar situation and went to the Marie Stopes Clinic in Manchester.. Their website is really good and has all the information you need to help you organise everything - there is a number you call and you book it through that. You will need to have a good idea of your dates when booking so know the date of your last period when calling. I didn't go to a doctor here at all just did a home pregnancy test.. When you know, you know! I did however attend the FPC just to speak to someone - she was lovely and it was good to talk thing through with someone neutral.

The actual procedure is very straightforward.. I had no anasthetic, pain was pretty minimal and some normal painkillers help me out.. The whole thing from when you arrive at the clinic to when you leave takes about 3 hrs. The procedure cost about €750.. I knew it was the right decision for me from the minute I realised I was pregnant..

Good luck with whatever you decide..

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

If you want to PM me for any information please feel free. I know at the time i had a zillion questions flying around my head.

I went to the Marie Stopes clinic in Essex. I got a flight out the night before (as i couldnt get a cheap flight for the same day) and returned the next day. My appointment was at 12 noon. I had a general anasthetic so i was knocked out for the procedure itself. I knew i would not be able to do it without a general anasthetic so that was my reason for it. The procedure happened at 1.39 and i was awake and out of the clinic by 3pm. Got a flight home at about 6.30pm. The clicin gave me a number for a taxi before i went over and i had the prebooked before leaving. He met me at the airport and collected me and brought me back the next day. I think it was about £30 there and £28 back. Something like that, i know one way was a bit cheaper. Flights were booked twice as i backed out the first time so cost me quite a bit. Marie stopes was i think something like 740 euro. I paid by credit card.

And before anyone says anything as last time i posted information someone jumped on me for advocating abortion, i am going no such thing, just giving the information asked for.

If you go and when you return make sure you get councilling (its free) and also a check up after one month.

If you need anything just PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Beruthiel wrote:
    Please don't comment in a thread unless you have some useful help for the OP
    He made a valid point, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Yes but such a dicussion has been already point out by a mod as off topic and unhelpful and
    unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

Thaedydal wrote:
    Yes but such a dicussion has been already point out by a mod as off topic and unhelpful and unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    I disagree. I went for a drink with a friend yesterday who is due to give birth in the next two weeks. She told me that she had decided to go for an elective caesarean next week instead - without informing her husband (and father of the child).

Now one may bollock on about mother’s and father’s rights ad nauseoum, but the reality is (as I warned her) is that even if he were in agreement with her on electing the procedure, having cut him out of the decision making process so blatantly would breed nothing other than anger and resentment.

The OP may be pregnant as a result of a one-night stand, or otherwise no longer be in contact with the father. However we don’t know that, and as such it’s a fair point to raise given that she may not have considered it, as my friend had not with her decision.

Branding such a comment as unhelpful and off-topic is, TBH, indicative of the partisan nature of this emotive subject - as off-topic pro-choice posts will seldom be branded as unhelpful here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Yeah I doubt the OP wants an abortion debate with you.

OP; best of luck with everything, obviously this was your choice, you've made it and I hope you get well soon. However it might be a good idea to have a friend go with you, for moral support if nothing else, I imagine it would be a very hard journey to make alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I thought this wasnt a medical board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

I believe marie stopes actually have a clinic here in city centre. (sorry dublin city centre)

Obviously the procedure is not carried out here but they book everything for you from this end and they actually give you an hours couselling before you even make the booking.

i believe the phone number is in the book?

http://www.reproductivechoices.ie/
    We are situated at:
    10/11 Berkeley Street
    Dublin 7.

For more information on any of our
    services or to make an appointment
    telephone us on

(01) 830 0630

Centre opening times
    Monday to Saturday 10am – 6pm.

http://www.ifpa.ie/services/abort.html

http://www.wellwomancentre.ie/pregnancy.html

it is worth noting the non directive pregancy couselling at the well woman centre is free of charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Yes thats the place.

If you are in any way unsure about your decision go for the free ones such as well woman/ifpa but the marie stopes one charges a fee however that is deducted from the cost of the procedure when you get to the UK.

Good luck with it.

counselling afterwards can be very helpful as well. and as another poster said i hope you have someone that can travel with you for support.

Thaedydal wrote:
    it is worth noting the non directive pregancy couselling at the well woman centre is free of charge.
    The couselling at well woman centre is no more non directive than that at cura.

• Advertisement

The Corinthian banned for going off topic again, if you wish to voice your opinion on that matter do so in a different thread in a more suitible forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

OP, can I suggest you talk with someone first, either a GP or a counsellor?

There are links here from the Crisis Pregnancy Agency website http://www.crisispregnancy.ie/links.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Dreamer 7

I went to the Calthorpe Clinic in birmingham recommended by the well Woman in Liffey St Dublin. With the referal letter is was a discounted price of €360. I went in the mornig and was back in my own bed that night. Ryanair flights to Birmingham were €150 for me and him return. Dont go alone. Youll need someone to take care of you afterwards. I wont comment on the councelling side because I havent availed of it, and am suffering the consequences.
    Best of Luck OP make sure its what you want because its very hard on your heart and mind.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I believe that the OP has received all the info she requires, so I'm closing this thread now.

OP
    If you wish to set up another thread later on this, please feel free to do so.
    Good luck.
    A

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement