Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

G25 anyone?

• 17-08-2006 10:51am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across this G25 preview on the rfactor forums.
    I for one am deffo getting one of these beasts on release day.

logitech_g25.jpg

PREVIEW.

Originally Posted by Skuzzlebutt
    Well I finally had a decent blat with the G25 tonight and things feel every bit as good as we'd all hoped.

First things first, she's a heavy wee beast, both the pedals and the wheel itself.

This is of course a good thing because you can really slam the wheel around without feeling like you're pushing the limits of the plastic cogs and motors and shafts within -- not that I drive like that you understand, I'm always smooth and in control. I'm just saying that you could. If you wanted.

The pedals leave my old DFP's for dead in terms of the way they feel
    (although the cold metal pedals made my poor widdle footsies a bit chilly). The brake is realisitically firm and the gas is light and responsive. The real world result of these attributes mean't two things for me while driving, first I could feather the throttle through corners with far greater precision than I'm used to and second, I could really stand on the brakes without the things ending up hard against the stops straight away -- you gotta push real hard to get those puppies on full. Course, that didn't stop me from locking things up from time to time...in the name of science.

There's a clutch pedal of course and that too is tensioned just about right -- somewhere between the firmness of the brake pedal and the feathery accelerator. I've never used a clutch in a racing game before and bugger me if I didn't half get confused when I had a go with it in game. For starters I'm a left foot braker so I spent the first few laps instinctively pushing the clutch in when I was supposed to be braking (no smart comments...I can hear you all sniggering and yes, I do drive a manual in real life). Course, turns out you barely even need the clutch when changing up and down, just crash through those gears...she'll be right :P One thing though... remember to push it in when, erm, I mean if you spin so you don't stall.

The wheel itself is all metal with hand stitched leather and feels, well, perfect really. A pair of paddle shifters mounted on the shaft (tee hee, I said "shaft" again) are also cold, hard steel. Better yet their motion is spot on and you only need to pull them back about a mm or two before you get a satisfying "click". They're also big enough that you can change gear no matter where you happen to have your hands positioned on the wheel.

The shifter is a seperate unit and while I prefer a good old fashioned paddling when it comes to gear changes, this thing feels goooood. Good like a packet of Extreme Toffee Pops and a glass of milk all to yourself. A big fat dial lets you flick it between sequential and "H-shift" stylez (push downwards on the gear knob to get it into reverse...just like a bought one). In either mode the motion feels natural though and if you've ever muddled around with the lousy sequential shifter on the DFP (damn fudding double-clicking turkey of a thing!) well, this one is worlds apart. It's actually useable for a start if you ask me.

Whether you use the actual shifter or not you'll most likely want to make use of the many buttons located on it...there's eight of the things plus a "D-pad". Sadly only two buttons made it onto the wheel itself so if you're anything like me and have pretty much all your buttons (the DFP I use has about 10) assigned to whatever, you'll need to retrain yourself if you invest in a G25.

OK, so this is getting real long. Probably too long for some. Unbound most likely stopped reading after the second sentence having used his daily quota of "readin" trying to figure out how to open a packet of Weetbix without ripping the lid this morning, so now would be a good time to start slagging off that son of a...no...I mustn't.

Clamping is pretty straight forward and is all but identical to that of the dual clamped DFP. The shifter however bolts on using three screw down clamps. That sucker ain't going no where. Fast.

So far I've only tried R-Factor. Protoracer, PCC and PCC 1.2 actually. Out of the box it was pretty ferking good I must say. Everything was wonderfully precise and the force feedback tugged and bumped me just the right way (stop it...). I haven't cracked her open yet (first rule of thumb for any reviewer upon receiving a new toy is to see if it goes first before pulling it apart...) to check if the dual-motors driving the thing really do use metal cogs and stuff but ferk me and the horse I rode in on if it didn't feel so wonderfully tight. On me old DFP (sorry to keep harping back to it...) there's always been a wee dead spot in the middle when turing the wheel from left to stright to right (does that make sense?). Not so with the G25, this thing is solid all the way through the turn. Nice.

I gotta say, I like driving with this wheel. A lot. I've really only tinkered tonight and I haven't tried anything other than R-Factor but so far...so sweet. This is however the honeymoon period still and me and the G25 are still gazing lovingly into each others eyes, smitten with the beauty we both imagine we see before us. How long will it last? When will we have our first fight? And how many children will we have before she lets herself go?

Stand by for further reports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

"duffman, oh yea!"#

Looks like september/october release :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Any idea how much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

I think it'll be cool!

But, i've alread spent a fortune on my DFP getting the Frex GP kit...

Maybe i can start saving.... no doubt it'll be an expensive one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

dubtom wrote:
    Any idea how much?

Looks like $270 so probably €300 :rolleyes:

Just looking at that Frex SimconMotion. 198,00 Yen, €1300 + VAT + delivery. Not too bad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Between this wheel and a widescreen monitor I'm going to be stretched pretty thin, got a bit of saving to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

But, i've alread spent a fortune on my DFP getting the Frex GP kit...

Very nice kit there also Nik.

I like the sound of resistance on the brake pedal etc.
    Really looking forward to release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Looks like $270 so probably €300 :rolleyes:

Just looking at that Frex SimconMotion. 198,00 Yen, €1300 + VAT + delivery. Not too bad!
    :eek:

Advertisement