Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

deerpark motors

Options
  • 17-08-2006 11:03am
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

hi folks,

just wondering if anyone has had dealings with deerpark motors, good/bad/indifferent?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

I went looking there for a used car and your man (cant remember his name) was grand. The car I was looking at at the time was a Skoda Octavia. When I popped the bonnet, I couldnt beleive what I saw. The engine was completely covered in mud. It looked like it had been used for off-roadin'. I ended up buying an Octavia (not the same one) and realised that all that was wrong was the plastic belly pan was missing and so all the road gunk could splash up. He didnt tell me this though and instead I got "ah sure we can clean that all up...full valet". I dont think he is the worst though and he has (had) a good selection of cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

I went up for a look at his stock about 18 months ago and he had a couple of Lexus IS200s on the lot. I looked at them both and found faults and as you said, got the "ah yeah, we'll fix it up" line each time. I had wondered if I'd not asked would he have bothered.

When I asked about a trade in on my own car (a year old Pug 307 at the time) he offered me silly money so I had no option but to walk away. I know any dealer has their margins to maintain, but he was taking the pi$$.

My own impression of him was that he's a bit of an Arthur Daly, but then again I get that impression from most used car dealers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ye I've spoken to Steve I think it was, considering it's my name I should have remembered.... seemed like a nice bloke though, nearly bought a car from him but I imported instead. Competative prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I honestly don't understand why people buy cars from back-street dealers. If you want accountability, buy from a reputable main dealer. If you want a good car at the best possible price, buy (and sell your own car) privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I rang them last year about an accord on carzone. The guy on the phone kept hmmm and hawwing and asked where I saw it. He said he'd ring back but never did. It was still on their forecourt a couple of weeks later so it wasntlike he suddenly sold it.

Went in a couple of months back with the ex to look at an 03 or 04 megane (cant remember which, we went to a lot of places to see a lot of cars) and nobody seemed bothered that we were there looking to spend upward sof 12k with them. There was a couple of guys milling round the office but we weretn approched so left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

I've been a couple of times to look at different motors over the past 2-3 years and firmly believe that he's a cowboy. Don't know what he's like now but he never used to clean the cars before photographing them for ads (not that it was any different on the forecourt) which smacks of the 'ah sure, we'll sort that' attitude, which is basically sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I looked at a 523i a few yrs back and it was definitely not in the condition it was advertised in....the whole side needed fixing after it was scraped on the body work and the engine was rough....interior was very dirty also....works out of a portacabin...says it all really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'm glad I didn't buy the car from him after hearing everyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lex Luthor wrote:
    I looked at a 523i a few yrs back and it was definitely not in the condition it was advertised in....the whole side needed fixing after it was scraped on the body work and the engine was rough....interior was very dirty also....works out of a portacabin...says it all really

Had nearly an identical experience when checking out a 320D; car was in really rough condition, despite having been advertised for a week or so. Didn't think much of the guys manner either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I actually bought my first car, 96 Micra off him, it seemed like the best deal at the time. I drove it for about 2 years and over that period I spent about €500 on repair and service. The car is going well now even though I don't own it, my neighbour does. He delivered it to my house for me and when I handed him a wad of cash, he gave me €20 back for my first fill of petrol which was nice. Although I was naive with cars back then. Still am:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Went up to look at a car earlier this year, about twenty cars were blocked it in so I headed off and rang up to arrange a viewing. Gave me a time to come back and when I arrived (after leaving work early) the cars were all still blocking it it in and no one around so left after 15 mins waiting around....

Must be easy business for them these days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement