Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development at Railway Square

• 17-08-2006 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Anyone any idea when this is officially opening. Passed by there the other day and its really starting to take shape. Also any ideas what exactly is going in there. I heard there's a cinema, M & S, offices but thats it. Anyone else think it looks good but kind've out of place where it is? You have this big modern development right next to the city wall ruins. Perhaps it will blend in more when its totally finished.

Also Tesco Poleberry would you say it will survive with yet more competition right next door.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I certainly wouldn't say the new development blends in well with the rest of the city....as for Tesco, they have planning permission up looking to knock the place and rebuild a bigger place ala Ardkean

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭brown*eyed*girl

I know it doesn't blend in at all at the moment.

Hope they do get Tesco more like the Ardkeen one. Its a bit of a disgrace at the moment with such a waste of space where the cafe used to be and the toilets are never open and neither is the creche.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Anyone any idea when this is officially opening. Passed by there the other day and its really starting to take shape. Also any ideas what exactly is going in there. I heard there's a cinema, M & S, offices but thats it. Anyone else think it looks good but kind've out of place where it is? You have this big modern development right next to the city wall ruins. Perhaps it will blend in more when its totally finished.

Also Tesco Poleberry would you say it will survive with yet more competition right next door.

It's called Railway Square. :)

It's been growing on me, I think it's beginning to look very well. :) Plus, when the hoarding is gone, you'll see how far back from the walls it is.

Tesco will survive, because there won't a supermarket in railway square. (Or at least I'd be shocked if there was -- except for maybe a posh M&S food section if those rumours are true.)

merlante wrote:
    It's called Railway Square. :)

It's been growing on me, I think it's beginning to look very well. :) Plus, when the hoarding is gone, you'll see how far back from the walls it is.

Tesco will survive, because there won't a supermarket in railway square. (Or at least I'd be shocked if there was -- except for maybe a posh M&S food section if those rumours are true.)

Better change the heading to Railway Square. My mind went blank and I usually walk along the Manor when passing that development.

I was thinking that too about the hoarding coming down it will make it blend in better. The artists impression on the sign looks well so hopefully it will look that good when completed. Would you say we'll have it done for christmas?

Better change the heading to Railway Square. My mind went blank and I usually walk along the Manor when passing that development.

I was thinking that too about the hoarding coming down it will make it blend in better. The artists impression on the sign looks well so hopefully it will look that good when completed. Would you say we'll have it done for christmas?

It will definitely be done for christmas, unless there is another accident on the site or something. As it is, it's been in development forever. They won't want to miss christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

I'm hoping the glass front will reflect the City Walls/Tower so it will make the green area seem deeper. ALso I think it will frame the area well similar to what Maritana Gate has done for the Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

Merlante yes Please God no more accidents that was tragic.

Bards hope you are right and it will look that good.

Baby4 never really noticed that as I never see it from that angle. I only ever see it from walking along the Manor or coming across the Waterside. WOuld be interesting to see what it looks like from up there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭meldrew

Lads I think we're being a bit over optimistic hoping it will be open for christmas , maybe some parts of it will be but the cinema definitely does'nt look like it will be ready for Christmas as for tesco dont be surprised if mccann objects to that as well it definitely looks like something he wont like !

meldrew wrote:
    Lads I think we're being a bit over optimistic hoping it will be open for christmas , maybe some parts of it will be but the cinema definitely does'nt look like it will be ready for Christmas as for tesco dont be surprised if mccann objects to that as well it definitely looks like something he wont like !

Sure it looked nearly finished when I was home a few months ago... except for the cinema part. All the same, I think with these things they can often come together very quickly in the end. I think they'll consider it a disaster if they miss Christmas. Who wants to open a shop in January or particularly February when all the money is gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It'll be open, developments often look half done then suddenly - finnished!

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    It'll be open, developments often look half done then suddenly - finnished!

Mike.

especially if they work 24x7

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards wrote:
    especially if they work 24x7

Which they dont.

yes they do.......as most major developments comming up to project completion deadline work 24x7 in order to meet the deadline

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bards wrote:
    yes they do.......as most major developments comming up to project completion deadline work 24x7 in order to meet the deadline

Iv never seen that in Ireland before. Ill keep an eye out to see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

seen it a few times. Dungarvan Shopping center for instance was flat out for a few weeks leading up to completion

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Bards wrote:

A mate of mine works as an assistant site manager in Dublin and when a deadline is approaching they will have teams of guys working shift to get stuff done. A snag list on a development like this alone could be a few thousand pages and that alone needs a team of people to manage.

Missing a prime time like Xmas could be a huge failure for a development like this as after the Xmas and New Year sales, there is a complete lull in shopping so it could be easter by the time things start picking up. Ya have to remember that even though the outside looks unfinished, work can start on the inside as soon as the building has a roof on it and is weatherproofed.

There are some apartments with furniture in them, can see sofa's etc from the street, so they cant be far off being finished. If they are done, the retails units and cinema wont be far behind.

Tox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I saw it over the weekend when I was home. It's really beginning to come together and look impressive - there's even a stylish little bridge over the river into the Miller's Marsh car park.

Must say it's grown on me. Please let there be a few decent new shops in it though, not just a Spar and an Xtravision.

fricatus wrote:
    I saw it over the weekend when I was home. It's really beginning to come together and look impressive - there's even a stylish little bridge over the river into the Miller's Marsh car park.

Must say it's grown on me. Please let there be a few decent new shops in it though, not just a Spar and an Xtravision.

Don't even joke! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

I certainly wouldn't say the new development blends in well with the rest of the city

yup i think it looks terrible , they could have at least tired to match it with the round tower beside it , but it looks terrible .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

could someone post a photo of this development?
    I'm in Australia at the mo and would like to see cow it's coming on
    I'm actually from Piltown, though Waterford is like a second home...

edson wrote:
    could someone post a photo of this development?
    I'm in Australia at the mo and would like to see cow it's coming on
    I'm actually from Piltown, though Waterford is like a second home...

try here
    http://www.daft.ie/waterford/waterford_city/19679/

Advertisement