Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL installation questions

• 17-08-2006 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Apologies if these have been answered elsewhere already. The search function doesn't appear to work and I don't fancy trawling through dozens of pages.

I'm in the process of moving into a new place and getting NTL broadband installed on Saturday. I haven't yet moved my computer in yet.

IIRC from the installation of NTL in my old abode, the connection has to be associated with a specific MAC address. So am I right in saying that I will have to have my computer there when it is installed?

I'm planning to get a wireless router and plug the modem into that but might not have one by Saturday. Will this cause problems regarding the MAC address as it will be different for the router? Is it a case of having to ring NTL to update their records with the new MAC address?

Also, anybody got any tips on a good wireless cable modem compatible router to get? I know there's a sticky topic on this which I intend to look through, but if anybody can drop some names and places to buy I'd appreciate it.

I saw a Belkin one in PC World the other day which I was thinking of getting unless I get a better recommendation here.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Belkin => Cr@p so save yourself the trouble and get a Linksys WRT54GS or WRT54GL router.

As regards the MAC address, you can get the router to fake the MAC of whichever device the cable modem is first bound to in the router setup, should have a feature allowing you to clone the MAC of the original device and away you go. PC World have the above mentioned routers in stock most days (well maybe not the GL)

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Sidane

Thanks MC.

This the router you're talking about?
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306149

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The very one, difference between the two is the GL can have an Open source (Linux) firmware installed to give it more functions but for what you want the GS will do nicely.

MC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

A tip to get a wireless router from NTL is to have the Computer in the oppsite side to were the NTL connection is.

They are giving Netgear router and a USB network adpter.

Regards

Advertisement