Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about SATA power connectors

Options
  • 17-08-2006 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok, this is weird.

I bought my 2 WD 250GB HDDs about 5 months, and before that i'd never used SATA drives before, so when I saw the 2 power connectors on each drive (i.e. the molex and SATA power connector) I just assumed they needed 2 power inputs for whatever reason, so I connected a molex and sata power connector to each drive.

About 3 months ago I thought that maybe the drives didn't need the 2 connectors so I disconnected the molex ones and the system wouldn't boot. Just now, I accidently did the same thing, and didn't reconnect the molex power connectors and the system booted fine. The only difference between now and the last time is that i'm using a 700w PSU instead of the 400w one I had.

My question, do SATA drives need 2 power connectors and if not why do they have them? Plus could I just run the system on 2 molex connectors and not the SATA ones?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Ive seen older ones with two. But all the ones i have which are caviars or spinpoints only have the sata one not the molex. If it wont boot with just one plugged in use both. ITs strange though. As the ones ive seen with 2 power connectors could be used as either or.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You are recommended only to use one (WD Raptors (old style) used to have one of each too)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    You are recommended only to use one (WD Raptors (old style) used to have one of each too)

as wizz said, only use one, your problem probably was that your original psu wasnt powerful enough for all your devices possibly

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Well his last PSU had 20amps on each 12v rail so I doubt it was the problem...

One my raptor it specifically says NOT to connect both a SATA power connector and the molex one...

Maybe your hdds got a bit confused when you removed one power source:confused:

Advertisement