Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

The cat has just rushed in!!
    And no wonder, rainrate 55mm/hr...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Nice flash of sheet lighting over Tullow about 20 mins ago.

2mm in as many minutes, but not accompanied.

The cat must have heard it coming :D

Oh back heavy again, rate up to 40mm/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

VERY heavy rain just after dying away here in Carlow town, heard no rumbles or seen no lightening though

Mothman wrote:
    2mm in as many minutes, but not accompanied.

The cat must have heard it coming :D

Oh back heavy again, rate up to 40mm/hr
    Much lighter here,just 5 or 6mm/hr
    Currently 2.5 with the total at 3mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Very heavy rain on and off for a while now. rain rate has reached over 40mm/hr 4 times and above 50mm/hr twice. I saw one flash of lightning but when i went out to look for more i didn't see any. It was almost kind of scary when i was out, i was going up winegates (hill between bray and greystones) when the first very heavy rain started, the windscreen wipers couldn't move fast enough to keep the drops from obscuring your view the road literally turned to a river. Heavy rain just starting again now. Total is currently 13.0mm.

AWS has recorded 26.5mm overnight. I haven't checked the manual gauge yet. Most fell during 3 heavy bursts. Rain rate regularly above 50mm/hr.

4mm fell during a 5 minute archive and still the rate didn't go above 60mm/hr. It's unusual to not have a spot rate that is much higher than a 5 min mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Also got lenghty burst about 1am.5mm fell in a 10 min peroid with rain rate hitting 61.7mm/hr for a short time levelling off to 30mm/hr untill it petered out.

Saw two flashes of lightning mostly out to sea during the evening but with no Thunder.

Mothman wrote:
    AWS has recorded 26.5mm overnight. I haven't checked the manual gauge yet. Most fell during 3 heavy bursts. Rain rate regularly above 50mm/hr.

4mm fell during a 5 minute archive and still the rate didn't go above 60mm/hr. It's unusual to not have a spot rate that is much higher than a 5 min mean.
    I only got 12.7mm since midnight with a peak rain rate of 48.5mm/hr at 1228am and a peak gust at 105am of 32mph from the southeast

From 9 o'clock last night to 6:30 this morning 31mm was recorded here, thought i heard thunder around 12:30 last night but i'm not sure

• Advertisement

There are moderate Ts over south west UK atm moving northwards and might clip the south est of Ireland later this evening and early night before dying out.

Heavy rain here at the moment
    rain rate 26.9mm/hr!

Looks like more to come this evening Tristrame heading up towards you.

Tristrame wrote:
    Heavy rain here at the moment
    rain rate 26.9mm/hr!

A bit of drizzle with me.

mad isnt it.
    You can see it on the met.ie radar loop.

I was in coolgreaney when it started and noticed it was much much heavier heading towards Arklow.
    The total was only 2.3mm though when it stopped.

Snowbie wrote:
    Looks like more to come this evening Tristrame heading up towards you.
    I dont want it!
    Ground is saturated enough...

http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y

Look at the loop and see those showers appear out of nowhere in North wexford (it got very dark)
    From 330pm and then when the showers push north hugging the coast they disappear near mothman :confused: What happened there??

I'm up to 1.8mm now with max rate of 4mm/hr

Tristrame wrote:

From 330pm and then when the showers push north hugging the coast they disappear near mothman :confused: What happened there??

For some reason the met eireann loop doesn't seem to have the Dublin AP radar included. On the Netweather radar, it's included and there is much more rain shown, which is in keeping with what I'm getting.

I can't see there being any thunder out of this so somewhat off topic for this thread.

Tristrame wrote:

Look at the loop and see those showers appear out of nowhere in North wexford (it got very dark)

They are the remenants of a midlevel convergence zone that has being in decay since it was first formed.Well it gave some good TS over sw uk but has decayed as it moved further North.It was just bad luck that you received rain.I on the other hand got nadar.But it did get very dark around 4.30pm.

The left overs are still moving Northwards and you are inline again for more rain albeit light.

• Advertisement

Possibility of some thundery stuff over the south-east later tonight/early tomorrow embedded with the heavy rain, probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Wind is from the east if it picks up abit we might see some TS coming over from wales.

There is actually a few storms over SW Uk atm and they are steeming Northwards at a decent speed.Eventually they will have a NNw and NW motion in them moving them over Wales and cross the Irish sea to again affect the SE coasts.

There is also a developing area over the celtic which is moving towards the south coast.

there's been a few sferics around ireland today
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en&map=EuropeNW.
    Met eireann are forecasting some heavy thundery downpours.
    I've had some very heavy showers here, but no thunder...yet

Yes theres some very active storms mainly over connaught now.

Here there are tropical short rain bursts at times with many anvils and cb's about.
    The sky is like the carribean except without the heat.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

The radar's nice at the moment too in a pincer movement from Cork up to the south midlands :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Tristrame wrote:
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

The radar's nice at the moment too in a pincer movement from Cork up to the south midlands :eek: :eek:

yea whats up with that:eek:

It looks like sum giant tornado!:D

Well its here now and bearing down on Dublin.
    Continous downpour here.
    No thunder

Rosslare reporting thunder at 6am

• Advertisement

http://estofex.org/cgi-bin/polygon/showforecast.cgi?text=yes&fcstfile=2006112606_200611242128_1_stormforecast.xml
    Just noticed this now, level 1 again, i don't see too much of a risk atm, but i suppose that's why i don't work for a thunderstorm forecasting company:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement