Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Just talking to EM, the Shannon has been diverted via Arklow:p
    Torrential rain, wipers on full, driving was scary...

15 miles north, it's sunny, mostly hazy, though can see tower tops at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

The UK got another freak tornado yesterday just reading it from the bbc website. How come they are getting all the good weather? :o

Things have fired up to my SW. About a rumble a minute for past 10 minutes and starting to look quite dark in that direction, though sun is still out here.

And a text in from Em, Thunder going non stop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Sounds like a good storm alright.Not over head Mothman?In Ashford.
    Can see clearly a massive anvil from here looking south.

When I restarted weather display it lost the info from the datalogger:mad: so I dont know what the peak rain rate was a half hour ago.

I was driving into arklow and it was like brown water rafting,the floods were crazy and the rain was so loud,I found it hard to hear mothman.

Current total is 9.7 mm in one hour and rising rapidly

Current rain rate is 20.3mm/hr though it could have been up to a 100mm/hr earlier :mad:

Thunder is still rumbling

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    When I restarted weather display it lost the info from the datalogger:mad: so I dont know what the peak rain rate was a half hour ago.

I was driving into arklow and it was like brown water rafting,the floods were crazy and the rain was so loud,I found it hard to hear mothman.

Current total is 9.7 mm in one hour and rising rapidly

Current rain rate is 20.3mm/hr though it could have been up to a 100mm/hr earlier :mad:

Thunder is still rumbling
    Any rotation in clouds.Funnels,as it does sound severe.

Flat calm outside snowbie and raining moderately still at 2mm/hr

The whole sky is leaden and I can just about make out cb's in the mix on the horizon but no brightness.

Havent heard thunder now for a while

Rain fall total now 10.2mm and rising

http://saturn.unibe.ch/rsbern/noaa/dw/realtime/current/n1bcurr.jpg

Excelent early view of the build up of the wexford/wicklow storm at about lunchtime.

You can see the straight line where the sea breeze tried in vain to keep it away from the coast and you can see the bubbles of the cloud tops

• Registered Users Posts: 16,853 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

aha as i suspected from the cloud patterns there is thunder in the east. alas there is none here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thunderclaping here right now! :eek:

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Same here, maybe because I live in the same estate Mike

still raining at 1.8mm/hr now

Total is now 11.2mm

last thunder was nearly an hour ago now

Right, detector back on now.Not that you needed it EM.Good storm?

The main band of is leading to some heafty showers ahead of it,NI is starting to get some of them now with a strike recorded.Potentially Interesting evening ahead

yeah lots of bangs and cg's but its disappointing now as it morphed into a general period of rain-though I'm very happy with the rain and it looks like more tonight...
    I have to say the monster cb's that preceded the storm were some of the best I've seen,truly tropical looking and very very scarily big and high.
    The extent of them in a long line as they got closer was awesome,they stretched from south wexford right up to west wicklow and enveloped the area when the rain & thunder got going right to the coast.

Rain is very light now but still falling.

Total is up to 11.4mm

looks like you have been recording some recent strikes down over mount leinster agin snowbie?

Normally we can see that from here and it was in that general area that todays stormas started to develop.

Yeah EM,seems like waterford is getting dumped on too atm.

Darkened up here in last few mins,TS breaking out now in the midlands and west

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Whats the chance of rain tomorrow SNOWBIE :D in the am as I want to wash the car????

Whats the chance of rain tomorrow SNOWBIE :D in the am as I want to wash the car????
    Better day tomorrow Dave.Hit and miss the showers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭pp_me129

finally i got my thunderstrom
    and the rain was the rain u get after a thunderstrom 4 bout a hour
    every flooded because of the volume of water

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Any pics earthman, would be nice to see those anvils... they sound class..

All is quite and calm down here, just the odd heavy shower during the day, but it has brightened up a lot now. Although looking at Snowbies detector, there are a few strikes starting to creep into the Rathmore/Killarney region, so hopefully they might head in my direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thunder rumbelling away here for the last 20 minutes or so, big CBs all around, dry here. Castlecomer pleatau is black skied - where thunder is.
    It is drifting wsw towards me.

Meanwhile the hazy sunshine continued. The storm to my SW just seem to collapse at about the time of my last report and there is no sign of anything now.

Big flash over Castlecomer! Fork!

Fork over Nore Valley on the Laois KK border - very close!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,855 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

What do the blue 'X' es on the detector signify ?

Seven Worlds will Collide

What do the blue 'X' es on the detector signify ?

The detector im using is for storm chasing and will not distinguish between intra cloud + and - and cloud to ground + and -,it signifies a strike at the location on the map.
    It is the PCI boltek that is installed on a pc that can determine the above with its built in wavelenght transceiver.
    Both use the same software.
    With mine i can hook up to a laptop and travel in car to obviously chase storms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,769 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

thunder a rumblin' in Carlow town atm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Interesting EIDW 1800z Taf ..PROB40 TEMPO 1921 5000 SHRA TSRA SCT010 BKN015CB

I'll have some of that :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement