Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Looking NE over the Nore Valley.

Total rain fall from todays thunderstorm monsoon is 12.2mm with 10mm of that in 45 minutes

I've only one pic of the edge of the storm just as the first rumbles started after 3pm,It's nothing spectacular.I genuinely got scared as the lightning was very close.
    The cb's were very active and building fast though from about noon to 2pm before the sky started to completely cloud over.

High light of the storm was driving into arklow,lightning flashing, with brown rivers of water cascading down the road.I had to slow down as going more than 15mph the water would spash up in waves from side to side obscuring the view :D

Who needs photo's with that description.

Delighted with all the rain and hopefully more tonight.

Two storms, One N Over Ballacolla, The other E over Castlecomer - two forks - one from each storm within 5 seconds of each other - mad! :eek:

The Ballacolla storm is vicious!

Storm moving S for me - rain and lightning 1 mile away - strike every 30 sec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 thunderone

THUNDERSTORM REPORT

ACCOUNT: 3 loud claps of thunder.Sheet lightning seen (low level)
    at 20:05,20:09,20:11

The storm seems to be over Durrow/Ballacolla at the moment

SNOWBIE any maps from your detector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Thunder_struck

:o Am I safe in West Dublin tonight? Snowbie? Gizza forecast!

Got it here snowone

Rain teaming down now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Wo0t! Thunderstorm in Kilkenny right now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

:o Am I safe in West Dublin tonight? Snowbie? Gizza forecast!

Very heavy rain about an hour away m8.Might be a storm or two in it.very hard to tell were it be but chances are 50/50.

It apears that a line of increased showers with a TS over monaghan has now formed moving in a SSE direction towards Meath Dublin and Kildare area.

Thunderstorm tempo has increased dramatically over my area now.
    Lightning every minute or so.
    Approx 5 miles from my location.(29secs between flash and thunderclap) average of 5 I measured.
    Again mix of sheet and fork.Pretty impressive.
    ZERO windspeed.

Lads will you post your locations

Activity dying down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Just drizzle here, a murky evening here in Drogheda/south Louth. There has been no lightning or even thunder around here during the week. (At least not when I was awake:))

Snowbie,
    My location is Abbeyleix. The frequency of flashes may have decreased but the storm is still ongoing.
    There have been some spectacular flashes. I was out watching from a very good viewpoint. I did take pics but again my shutter speed is to slow.

Some very good fork strikes. I would say 5 miles south of my location, Durrow or Ballacolla in Laois.
    Danno is probably close to this storm.

Thx Thunderone.Post those pics m8

Storm was right over us here in Durrow, incredible forks which seemed to go inter cloud. Very heavy rain for about 10 minutes around 8.30pm. Lightning now pushed over Ballyragget and further down the Nore Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Astro1996

heavy rain here, lights just dipped and loud rumble of thunder - tallaght

• Advertisement

Lights here dipped also,heard no thunder must be south of Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Astro1996 wrote:
    heavy rain here, lights just dipped and loud rumble of thunder - tallaght

Yea keep your lights dipped :p /jk. Downpour here too, southside. Few flashes of sheet lightining.

Wow nearly a power surge.Lights flickering like mad here still no thunder heard.

It's back :D

Lots of sheet lightning here now and low rumbles

No rain as yet

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭drive3331

Lights dipped and some rumbles of thunder in Kilcock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Portlaoise here and the lights just flickered here a moment ago as well. No thunder though. What the hell is going on? :confused:

Everybody at once.Must be strong signals outputed from this.From Dublin to Wicklow to Portlaois.My Detector cant pinpoint it either.

Snowbie, quick question, have you got your detector switched off? Just checked it there to see if there's anything showing up on it to explain the lights flickering here a moment ago and it doesn't seem to be working. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Same thing in Rathfarnham. Lights flickering but not really seeing or hearing anything outside.
    Was down in Athlone earlier today and saw and heard some T+L.

• Advertisement

Yeah Snowbie, either there's been one hell of a strong singal outputting from that strike or whatever it was to effect so many people over such a wide area at the same time, as you say, or maybe lightning has hit a power station or substation somewhere to cause what we've just seen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement