Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Snowbie, when are you online?

rumbles continue...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Mothman wrote:
    Snowbie, when are you online?

rumbles continue...
    Just gone on now MM,since the detector turned on its be bleeping constantly around the wicklow area

Tristrame wrote:
    Constant booming thunder here now from a storm about 4 miles west of here over croghan mountain.

It's like a re run of last friday as theres still a bit of a sea breeze blowing agianst the storm,yet it is still approaching.

It's got a mighty impressive wall.

Use wickla boys are being spoilt this year with storms.Must be your fifth one in two months.
    I also seen a very impressive wall up here too,very gusty winds and looking for some rotation in a very turbulent part of the CB.No rotation,lightning nothing just a brief heavy shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Snowbie wrote:
    Use wickla boys are being spoilt this year with storms.Must be your fifth one in two months.
    I also seen a very impressive wall up here too,very gusty winds and looking for some rotation in a very turbulent part of the CB.No rotation,lightning nothing just a brief heavy shower.

Good to see your tracker working, 1 TS detected :p around wicklow though.

Heaviest thunder storm here in a good while,it even put fridays one to shame.

A lot of dangerous forked lightning with it.
    One of the lightning bolts was so nearby that it lit up the entire milking parlour while I was milking the cows.
    The noise at its height was very very loud,very very very loud.

Peak rain rate was at 6pm at 77.5mm/hr

• Advertisement

Tristrame wrote:
    Heaviest thunder storm here in a good while,it even put fridays one to shame.

A lot of dangerous forked lightning with it.
    One of the lightning bolts was so nearby that it lit up the entire milking parlour while I was milking the cows.
    The noise at its height was very very loud,very very very loud.

Peak rain rate was at 6pm at 77.5mm/hr

Been generally quiet here, was out for a run for an hour, and didn't hear any thunder. Had a rainbow for company for 30 minutes though ;)

yeah much like friday my sister has just came home and met the rain north of the arklow bypass.
    The bulk of this storm stretched from here south to Gorey

more booming out over the sea just now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just thought I'd mention that I heard a few rumbles of thunder here in Portlaoise today between about 2.30 and 2.50 this afternoon. There was a very black sky to the southeast at the time where it seemed to be coming from so maybe it was part of a gathering storm that was heading towards the Wicklow area at that time and which it seemed you all got down there later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heard that yesterday too when I was in Portlaoise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

FLIPPIN HELL!!!!! We just got a fierce crack of lightning overhead:D

Interesting.You a member of Torro

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

I see some of us are in a tornado watch area for tonight
    http://www.torro.org.uk/forecast/

Edit: no, i'm not a member of torro.
    Sorry deleted post by accident then had to repost

Heavy rain and tunder for the second time today here

trogdor wrote:
    Heavy rain and tunder for the second time today here

Ah I'm missing that,mainly because I'm in the USA at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Very heavy thunder shower at the mo' here in Carlow town, so flashes or rumbles as of yet.

This site seems to think there is some chance of activity over the next day or so. I think it will be mainly in the North and West though it seems that i always miss the storms. If i'm on the east coast then the storms are on the west coast, and vice-versa
    http://ows.public.sembach.af.mil/hazcharts/tsgraf.htm

Horrendous downpour here at the moment
    81.3mm/hr flooding the whole place :eek:

These monsoonal downpours are getting more and more frequent.

The showers today are amazing to look at,they are almost african looking in that when you look at them from the distance, they are long walls of cloud with the monsoonal spray visable from about half way in to the left and the right of the wall.

Had one here at 1.00pm too.Too small on the radar to see and i say half mile down the road was bone dry.Piddled down for 15mins.

The one here was only developing I'd say as it barely appeared on the radar but it was soon visible on the radar as a line of yellow with tiny pink and red spots off the coast of wicklow

• Advertisement

yeh, me and my freinds got caught in one on the short walk back from our music room to our main school building in St.Andrews, Booterstown. It started suddenly and ended suddenly. It was actually painful to walk through, i had never seen raindrops as big as these were

Just looking at the latest from estofex theres a level 1 severe weather alert for the next 48 hours. This info is also backed up by these TS charts here. What do ye make of that guys?. ;)

Hal1 wrote:
    Just looking at the latest from estofex theres a level 1 severe weather alert for the next 48 hours. This info is also backed up by these TS charts here. What do ye make of that guys?. ;)
    I,ve been watching this myself aswell. Looks good.
    Also backed up here
    http://www.torro.org.uk/forecast/

Yea looks interesting just noticed torro issued the warning too. :D

Well this came out of nowhere.Cameras at the ready for twisters.:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Accuweather shows thunderstorms for next weekend as well.

Mike.

First sferic just popped up west-south-west of Ireland
    http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Estofex has Ireland in the 'severe' category for this afternoon:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Just thought I'd mention that yesterday (the 18th) we had some torrential rain between about 11.30 a.m. and 1 p.m. And then, just before midday as the rain got to it's heaviest and was bucketing down here monsoon-like, there was an almighty flash of lightning that lit up the place here followed a couple of seconds later by a window-rattling crack of thunder. Must have been right overhead or damn near close to it and it nearly made me jump out of my skin! :eek: Given the rain we were getting at that time I was then expecting more to follow but, surprisingly, none did! :confused:

• Advertisement

21z Thunder reported from Casement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement