Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Cape an LI strong for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Snowbie wrote:
    Cape an LI strong for tomorrow.
    Not too bad for today either

TS in the Celtic sea.pushing northwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Yes, things seem to be kicking off now alright, looking good for the south and south-east
    Edit: although i see there's a few home-grown storms over the North and Midlands

Embeded storms in that lump on radar moving up from the south still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

There have been a couple of big flashes to the east of me in the last 20 or 30 minutes out at sea but the hill prevented me from seeing the nature of the lightning. Suprisingly, they are not recorded on Snowbie's equipment.

Saw some large flashes of cloud to cloud lighning to the north and north east of here in the last few minutes.
    I hadnt been out prior to that

I havent heard any thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Some flashes in the sky down over county Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭highdef

OK, just had a 5 minute monsoon here in D13. Not even showing on radar. Did you get that Snowbie??? Still very very humid though. No lightning though.

Yeah HD,just developed off the coast.Rain rate of 28.4mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

My accuweather plugin for firefox has thunderstorm over dublin now. Aint seen or heard anything yet though. :)

There have been a couple of big flashes to the east of me in the last 20 or 30 minutes out at sea but the hill prevented me from seeing the nature of the lightning. Suprisingly, they are not recorded on Snowbie's equipment.

Had me Receiver set to register only the strongest of lightning strikes due to interference around the locality.Thats why it probably hasnt registered the one you saw TBC.
    Have reset it to pick up the faintest strikes now,but probably start receiving false strikes because of this now.Any way lets see.Will be interesting overnight in the east i think as the Irish sea is starting to produce.

Nor have i .

Would all that activity in Rosslare be false snowbie?
    Looks like its getting hammered?

Hal1 wrote:
    My accuweather plugin for firefox has thunderstorm over dublin now. Aint seen or heard anything yet though. :)
    Well there was certainly a storm to the north of here a half hour ago moving north.

Tristrame wrote:
    Would all that activity in Rosslare be false snowbie?
    Looks like its getting hammered?

Yes,it was too far North.Its about 75 miles south.Unfortunately the wicklow mtns plays havok with the detector.It is constantly tryin to calibrate and recalibrate the strikes.If there is constant strikes it will be very accurate.But uncorrelated strikes will hamper its accuracy.It will know the direction but,determining the range it will constantly try to re-ajust.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

just had a massive thunder clap about 2 minutes ago in drogheda

This radar site was posted on another thread before,This chap has his own lightning detector in France and uses the forum i use for the lightning detection.He has compiled all the doppler radar in Europe to form this site.
    It was inaccurate but he has since resolved the problem.

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=holiday&jaar=2006&maand=09&id=48651941&bliksem=0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Danno wrote:
    Some flashes in the sky down over county Kilkenny

Not heard or seen (regularly pop out for a smoke) anything on Kilkenny outskirts (Dublin Road).

Shame, I like a good storm.

http://www.metoffice.com/weather/europe/uk/radar/index.html

Lots of white and red in a line from sw England up the celtic sea alright.
    Looks like it will avoid me mostly but its tracking NW so it may come in over south wexford and up through Kilkenny and Laois tonight some time.

• Advertisement

I won't mind the rain if we get thunder with it!

Sky has been quiet since 9pm ish now. No more flashes down into Co. Kilkenny.

The flashes earlier seemed to be above the Castlecomer pleatau, although more southerly than Comer town. Flashes were between the lights of Ballyragget and Comer - perhaps Jenkinstown, Conahy or Dunmore Caves area...???

Tristrame,see the one over plymouth/exeter area on that radar image,that is one to watch later on.Although it will look like it will fizzle out,it might inturn flare up in Cardigan bay.Could have our name on it?

Snowbie, would the Wicklow/Dublin Mountains have much of an effect on that detecter's precision???

According to Snowbies lightning detector there's one heading for Cork.

Depending on the storm would you believe.Only if its from the South or SSW.If its high based there be no problem.The mnts are like a sponge.It absorbs the signal because of my close proximity(10 miles or so).Most of them will get detected but not all but can alter its ranging somewhat.Again if there is a full blown storm it re-ajusts the range more accurately.

Looks like it's moving more northwards now. :)
    However, my dear wife has just told me that there won't be any storms anywhere in Ireland tonight as it wasn't on the weather forecast. :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed!

Fierce non stop lightning here now
    Its to my south and high based.
    Snowbie you should be picking it up over wexford.
    It's so extensive that its a flash every 2 seconds and rolling across the sky.
    I can hear the thunder now also

This looks like its going to be a good one :eek:

Is it down the coast or more inland S west of you Tristrame.

The storm looks to be based around Enniscorthy somewhere,its a pretty nasty one for those underneath it as theres non stop lightning rolling across the sky now.
    By non stop I mean a delay of maybe only 2 or 3 seconds with flashes going off beside eachother.

Theres a strong ESE wind here blowing against the storm so I'd say its slow moving.
    That said it wasnt there a half hour ago.

• Advertisement

That would be inland south west of here snowbie but its extending all across the southern sky now and out to the sea.
    I can hear constant low rumbles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement