Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What ever the weather is, my Digiweb Wireless broadband is *lightning* fast tonight!

/pardon the pun! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

This is a funny one, lads. Went back to looking out after my last post and didn't see anything. Not so much as a distant flicker. I thought that that was it then, that it had just died off. But, no, just a couple of minutes ago I saw a long, lingering, flickering in the sky that must have lasted a few seconds at least. It seems to be very intermittent and random flashes of lightning, not what you'd call an organised or constant storm at all. Well, that's what it looks like from here anyway. Down Tristame's way it sounds much more organised and consistant. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Any chance of Tristranes's storm heading up this direction. Can't see any lightning or here any thunder from here

Looks severe over Castlecomer and on down into Carlow right now. Clear skies overhead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Down Tristame's way it sounds much more organised and consistant.

The only thing organised and consistent here is the me looking south out the window opening another bottle of beer.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Its moving closer here alright, but the spaces between the flashes seem to be a lot longer, but when a flash does come! WOW! still seems to be in the clouds as apposed to actual strikes, only heard a couple of distant rumbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Yep, thunder and lightining abound in Carlow!

Wow ever wondered what a clear starry sky looked like.
    Join me here.Its so much more fun.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Okayyyyyy......getting a bit close for comfort now! Its lashing rain here and just had a very long and lingering blue flash over head :eek: ....goodnight, stay safe!

So is everyone else got anymore bad news for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I havent got as much thunder and lightning as croppyboy. It is raining pretty heavy and the sky is red to the south.

Awesome strike over the pleatau... must have been that one croppyboy1798 mentioned - blue fork danced for about 10 miles across the sky!!!

Another one right near here as I type!!! MAD! :D

Cool - Purple Forks Right Behind The House - Awesome!

As croppyboy said, the spaces between the flashes does seem to be longer than earlier. In the past 20 or 25 minutes or so I've only seen 3 flashes probably but the last one...... HOLY CRAP! :eek: Lit up the whole sky. Must be the same one Danno mentioned. Also followed just over a minute later (work out the distances for me someone, please! :D) by the first very, very distant and pretty quiet rumble of thunder of the night here but thunder it was, for sure.

Two more purple forks, about 5 seconds apart there a few minutes ago, V Heavy rain and strong gusting, almost akin to "Gordon" :D

Since my last post, 3 more very bright flashes and a lot closer too. Also accompanied by distant, low, rumbles of thunder. By my calculations (it's count the time between the flash and the bang and divide by 5, isn't it? I can never remember exactly but I think that's it. :confused: ) it's about 6 to 8 miles away from here.

Not getting forks here though, Danno. Just seems to be mainly sheet lightning but damn bright and really lights up the place when it happens.

Noting for the last 10 minutes now, just very windy... from the east.

Calming down now.

Nothing here either in the last 15 minutes or so. Had a light shower here and the wind picked up slightly but no more lightning or anything. Must have all but died off.

Snowbie, what are the chances of any more activity in the midlands tonight, do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

30 mins since last clap of thunder in East co. galway. Had a huge shower but nothing since.

• Advertisement

http://www.isleofwightweather.com/lightning.html <<< yer man is reasonably accurate tonight...

Another clump is pushin through South uk atm.this will get caught up in a se airflow and might come our way.
    Very early hours 5 or 6 in the morning if it where to happen.
    But Irish sea might produce something and the celtic sea too.Its hard to tell as no sat images to go on.

Danno wrote:
    http://www.isleofwightweather.com/lightning.html <<< yer man is reasonably accurate tonight...

Oh no im out of a job:p

:D No fear of that Snowbie!!!

The 15 min satellite on www.allmetsat.com is stuck at 2pm Saturday???

Oh, the isleofwight detector just put up purple crosses over Dublin and Pembrookshire...

Those are the really nasty strikes - yeah?

Nothing here me old mate.

Goodnighty all!

nn Danno
    Just got my first and second bit of lightning,faint rumble over south Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Huge flashes and claps and buckets of rain here right now (Dublin 22) the wind is whipping up too, just seen a large plantpot fly past..
    Pretty amazing looking.
    *snuggle mmm I love patio doors, all of the fun with none of the nast wetness or winds :)

B

• Advertisement

Storm got very severe for a time after my last post last night.
    2cg's came down in the field beside the house here with a deafening noise that rattled all the doors and windows.
    We lost power during that.That was sometime between 1230 and 1 am

The lightning went on for quite a while after that,but I went to bed.

Last lightning woke me up at about 530am with again loud thunder but this time accompanied by a rain rate of 78mm/hr,that was crashing down!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement