Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dell pc

• 17-08-2006 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hello,

I have 9 month old dell with xp, i installed office xp myself after i bought it,
    sometimes when i open a word document (or actually even a pdf) it just freezes and i get not responding in the control panel,
    a restart usually sorts this out, but i have to hit the power off button as it seems to take forever to shut down at times,
    so its pretty annoying,

anyone know why this happens?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If its PDF file thats making it freeze, try reinstalling Adobe Reader (or upgrading to the latest version) and see if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I find the latest version of acrobat reader make my computer hang often, especially when opening a pdf on the internet through Firefox. It's a terrible, resource hungry piece of software. Your probably best off downgrading to version 4 or else getting a third party open source/freeware reader

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

You can prevent Adobe Acrobat Reader from opening in the browser by unchecking a setting (see below) in the Preferences page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

thanks, yeah it was in the browser that adrobat caused problems, though it worked fine after a restart, which is really the problem, what keeps happening !?!

its mainly word documents that i get this bother, why then does it work fine after a restart, and i have uninstalled and reinstalled office twice.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I find the latest version of acrobat reader make my computer hang often, especially when opening a pdf on the internet through Firefox. It's a terrible, resource hungry piece of software. Your probably best off downgrading to version 4 or else getting a third party open source/freeware reader
    I don't like acrobat opening in Any browser

www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php FTW - 1MB download

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Opening PDFs in a browser can cause no end of hassle for the browser. Blame Adobe.

Is it just from within a browser it happens? If not, what AV package are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭confetti

no not really browser related,

just opening a word document, it starts to open then nothing happens after that unless i restart

Advertisement