Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best built cars in the world? Definitely!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The article doesn't mention best built cars. It doesn't even use the word reliable. It does define Toyotas in general very well though:
    BBC wrote:
    They are basic vehicles that are there to do a job

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    The article doesn't mention best built cars. It doesn't even use the word reliable. It does define Toyotas in general very well though:

Now now. These are proper machines, treat them with the respect they deserve!

I suspect these machines also use pre D4D engines and have have all electrics that can't be diagnosed with a multimeter removed. I have no doubt these are the best built cars in the world, unlike a RAV4 or something which is just an another SUV.

I'd nearly buy one if there were sold here.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

unkel wrote:
    It does define Toyotas in general very well though:

Umm, no it doesn't. It just describes these particular models which get modified. Would love to see how long an X3 or X5 would last out there. X3 wouldn't get past the first bump on a dirt track.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

unkel wrote:
    The article doesn't mention best built cars.

Unsurprising, really. The article isn't even about cars.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

We have gone through two land cruisers by toyota and I must say, they are well built. Our old one was an 82 and was so good, its still going. A plant company bought it off us in 98 for use in thier yards and there has never been a reported fault on it. We then got the previous model of the now current landcruisers in 98 and it had the D4D engine but with a turbo intercooler slapped on. :)
    Its 2006 and we have only run up 30,000 on her. The rear shock is on its last legs and it due for replacement, but she is still a hard worker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you only have to look at what all those rich arabs drive out in the desert when they are racing them and generally driving them like lunatics....they are nearly all Toyota Land Cruisers....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

maidhc wrote:
    I'd nearly buy one if there were sold here.

I'd be the first to buy one if I lived in a country without any roads. Why would you want to drive one here? :confused:

Oh and funny that some people here (not you maidhc) make a habit out of accusing others for not reading posts while they can't even seem to be bothered to read just the thread title themselves to start with! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

DukeDredd wrote:
    Umm, no it doesn't. It just describes these particular models which get modified. Would love to see how long an X3 or X5 would last out there. X3 wouldn't get past the first bump on a dirt track.

don't be silly...X3 or X5 are not meant to go off road (or on road if your to listen to the journalists).
    they are for the man with no willy or the kept mummy on the school run.

the difference is the Toyota's don't break down...and that's handy if you in a war zone or the middle of a wilderness

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

unkel wrote:
    I'd be the first to buy one if I lived in a country without any roads. Why would you want to drive one here? :confused:

It would be a step up from using a tractor whenever you need to carry anything bigger than would fit in a small car trailer! It should be a little more comfortable. :D

Does anyone think there would be a market anymore for high quality well engineered new cars that had minimal complicated bits and electronics.. no cruise control, electrics, DSG gearboxes etc? Like say a Merc 190? ... or a Leica camera?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

maidhc wrote:
    Does anyone think there would be a market anymore for high quality well engineered new cars that had minimal complicated bits and electronics.. no cruise control, electrics, DSG gearboxes etc? Like say a Merc 190? ... or a Leica camera?

I wish there was ..I'd be the first to buy.

Problem is, that high tech - low tech approach would probably smack too much of "poverty" and "stinginess" to sell in image conscious "aren't we the richest country in the world"-Ireland ...or many other countries, for that matter.

Plus car companies live from sales and turnover ...a car that lasted "forever" ond only ever needed a few cheap parts wouldn't be sustainable ...or it would have to sell at such a price to be pretty much unsellable in comparison to the competition.

The only way this would work is if the company (not unlike toyota with the old landcruiser) could keep an old model running with only ever slight updates.
    Developing this high tech-low tech car from new probably is not an option.

I can't really see DB doing a re-make of the 190 with no frills ...can you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

maidhc wrote:

I couldn't agree more

Advertisement