Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gmit

Options
  • 17-08-2006 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

Just wondering if anyone here is in GMIT?

I did my Leaving Cert 8 years ago and I'm going back to GMIT in a couple weeks as a mature student. Been travelling a lot since my school days and now live in Dublin (until next week)...

I was fine about it until yesterday when the Leaving Cert results came out and I was thinking.... hhmmm when I did my Leaving these people were in 3rd or 4th class!!!

So to anyone in GMIT, whats it like for mature students? Does it have a bar? ... and whats the best way to get there from Salthill without a car?

Comments

You are rightly screwed if you have to travel from salthill to gmit.Takes about 50 minute walk.Public transport is unreliable.I go to NUIG.So i do not know what it is like.It does not have a bar IIRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 ?banned?

You are rightly screwed if you have to travel from salthill to gmit.Takes about 50 minute walk.Public transport is unreliable.I go to NUIG.So i do not know what it is like.It does not have a bar IIRC.

Yea, I know how far it is - just wondering were there any bus routes or something from salthill because its been a few years since I've lived at home in galway... I guess I'll just have to keep my car rather than sell it! Dont fancy waiting for a bus in the pissin rain in galway!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

You can get buses out to it in the morning (Salthill->Eyre Square->GMIT). Getting from GMIT to the city centre in the evenings could be hassle.

If you can, get accomodation on the east side of the city, college road, lough atalia, Renmore. Or get a bike.

Don't think it has a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

Doesnt have a bar.. walk from Salthill->Bus to GMIT is your best option io'm afraid.

GMIT vs NUIG thread incoming?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭sgthighway

If I read it write you are moving back to your original home in Salthill. If I were you I would keep your car because you can come and go as you want if your timetable allows it. There is no bar in the GMIT. You have to remember you are about 8 years older than some of your future class mates and if you are going to be living in Galway again and staying here weekends; the novilty of going out will wear off quickly. GMIT to Salthill on the dark evenings is a horrible trip on public transport. Good Luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

You could always get the #8 bus as far as wellpark and walk the rest of the way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I really thought there was some sort of a bar in GMIT....?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I think the Salthill bus goes out the east side of the city after it arrives in Eyre Square so just stay on and see how close it gets to GMIT.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Kazooie

Spent the last five years in GMIT and would recommend it. I wouldn't mind the age difference factor as I saw plenty of people like yourself buzzin around the place and they seemed happy enough. Keep your car i'd say it'll be worth it to ya. You'll spend **** all on petrol maybe a bit more than on bus fares but the advantages are fairly obvious. My Time table wasn't 9 to 5 every day so chances are you'll have a bit of luck too and not have to be driving at rush hour every day. Salthill to Gmit is a nightmare at those times though.
    No bar i'm afraid but plenty of class parties in town throughout the year. The library is top notch and the IT facilities aren't bad either. Canteen food wasn't great when i started but is a lot better now. (Most) lecturers are dead on and go out of their way to help ya through.

sgthighway wrote:
    If I read it write you are moving back to your original home in Salthill. If I were you I would keep your car because you can come and go as you want if your timetable allows it. There is no bar in the GMIT. You have to remember you are about 8 years older than some of your future class mates and if you are going to be living in Galway again and staying here weekends; the novilty of going out will wear off quickly. GMIT to Salthill on the dark evenings is a horrible trip on public transport. Good Luck.

Yea, I own a house in Salthill, havent lived in Galway for about 7 years and its a bit daunting. I've been spending a lot of weekends there over the summer and loved it, especially salthill - I do realise that once it hits October Salthill will be the most depressing place in the world.... I'm just remembering back to my old school days! - waking up and its dark - getting home and its dark - and windy and wet, especially in salthill.

I was only going to sell the car cause it'll fetch me a fair bit and I didnt really wanna work - wanted to be a lazy student bum! Ah, maybe I'll keep the car and get a part-time job

I was so sure that GMIT had a bar too but feck it... plenty of bars around the place for that!

Cheers for the advice!

• Advertisement

I think there are plans of putting a bar into GMIT.

Would your best bet not be investing in a bike?

I think there are plans of putting a bar into GMIT.

Would your best bet not be investing in a bike?

Yea - but just the thought of cycling from salthill to gmit in the pissing rain on a cold dark january morning is not very appealing! Its all well and good right now while the weather is good....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Don't the little red buses cover Salthill to town? Their service is usually pretty good. However, I'd stick to keeping the car for a bit more independence.

If you're trying to free up some money, why don't you (and this goes against ALL my own feelings) sell what you have and buy an older one? Best of both worlds.

What are you going studying?

Best of luck with the move and the return to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

2d and 4d do seacrest to town to Renmore. I live i nRenmore. Use the buses. They're handy enough if you can stand the early starts. I ditch college regularly, and get the nine - ten oclock buses allatime. Sound. No bar, but flannerys, or the merlin. Which are locals / scumbag places in the case ofthe merlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Nobody really goes to either the flannerys, or the merlin. Its the library/bodkins or the corrib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Kazooie wrote:
    Spent the last five years in GMIT and would recommend it. I wouldn't mind the age difference factor as I saw plenty of people like yourself buzzin around the place and they seemed happy enough. Keep your car i'd say it'll be worth it to ya. You'll spend **** all on petrol maybe a bit more than on bus fares but the advantages are fairly obvious. My Time table wasn't 9 to 5 every day so chances are you'll have a bit of luck too and not have to be driving at rush hour every day. Salthill to Gmit is a nightmare at those times though.
    No bar i'm afraid but plenty of class parties in town throughout the year. The library is top notch and the IT facilities aren't bad either. Canteen food wasn't great when i started but is a lot better now. (Most) lecturers are dead on and go out of their way to help ya through.

I have to disagree with some of this post. Sorry. There are not that many mature students in GMIT. I was a mature student last year. The best thing about the college was the students. I met some really sound people, which was great.

Half of the lecturers were very good and the rest were terrible but I guess you get that everywhere. The course itself was really good, which is the point I suppose. It really lacks a student bar and I found the Library bar to be ****.

As for the canteen food. Muck, total crap. I'm not trying to be funny here but do not eat the food in the canteen.

The gym is well worth joining. Especially if your a first/second year and have the time. I was a bit too busy in 4th year. I think I paid €90 for the year. Its small but its got all that you need really, decent free weights and enough cardio machines to not have to wait. I'd definitely recommend that. As mentioned the IT facilities are excellent and the library is very good...sad I know.

Anyway, thats just my opinion for what its worth. The main thing is that the people are sound. In relation to your original question, no way would I drive from salthill with the traffic being so bad. As mentioned, cycle. Join the gym so that you can use the showers after the cycle. What course are you doing?

Best of luck with everything.

I have to disagree with some of this post. Sorry. There are not that many mature students in GMIT. I was a mature student last year. The best thing about the college was the students. I met some really sound people, which was great.

Half of the lecturers were very good and the rest were terrible but I guess you get that everywhere. The course itself was really good, which is the point I suppose. It really lacks a student bar and I found the Library bar to be ****.

As for the canteen food. Muck, total crap. I'm not trying to be funny here but do not eat the food in the canteen.

The gym is well worth joining. Especially if your a first/second year and have the time. I was a bit too busy in 4th year. I think I paid €90 for the year. Its small but its got all that you need really, decent free weights and enough cardio machines to not have to wait. I'd definitely recommend that. As mentioned the IT facilities are excellent and the library is very good...sad I know.

Anyway, thats just my opinion for what its worth. The main thing is that the people are sound. In relation to your original question, no way would I drive from salthill with the traffic being so bad. As mentioned, cycle. Join the gym so that you can use the showers after the cycle. What course are you doing?

Thanks for that very honest opintion - I'm going to be doing computer systems and electronic engineering....
    I will stay away from the canteen - packed lunches all the way!! Is there not more than one place to eat up there though? I work in UCD at the moment and there's at least 15 places to eat here!
    I've decided to bite the bullet and sell the car - have a potential buyer and if it goes through I'm going to take a 2 week sun holiday before I get start college.
    Not sure about joining the gym, although I suppose it would be handy alright... I'm already a member of another gym in galway for free but I might join the college one too - do they have a pool there anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Theres no Pool unfortunately. There is a small restaurant upstairs that is run by the hotel and catering staff. You can get a nice meal there for a decent price. I'm not sure if this is run all year as I think its training for the students.

Across from the college, at Glasan, theres a restaurant thats not bad but its not as cheap as the canteen.

Your entitled to your opinion but you are going way over the top about the canteen. It's not the Ritz or anything like. When I started in 2001 i admit it wasn't a nice place to eat. But by last year they had varied the menu considerably, added vegatarian options and brought in a salad bar. They have improved.

As for the lecturers i suppose i can only speak from experience. ?banned? Your about to do the same course I did albeit under a new course name. The lectrurers in that department or for the most part extremely helpfull. Listen to them and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭5times

Jaysus - I was in the RTC (as it shall forever be known) 13 years ago doing Aquaculture . Spent most of the time in the canteen playing cards and smoking - ah the good old days . We made such a mess of the canteen on the first day of rag week that the next year they held it in the gym I think it was . Needless to say I didn't go on to finish the aquaculture course .

• Advertisement

Kazooie wrote:
    Your entitled to your opinion but you are going way over the top about the canteen. It's not the Ritz or anything like. When I started in 2001 i admit it wasn't a nice place to eat. But by last year they had varied the menu considerably, added vegatarian options and brought in a salad bar. They have improved.

As for the lecturers i suppose i can only speak from experience. ?banned? Your about to do the same course I did albeit under a new course name. The lectrurers in that department or for the most part extremely helpfull. Listen to them and you'll be grand.

How did u find the course Kazooie? What kind of work did u get out of it?
    I left it kinda late applying for college (only filled out the CAO form 2 weeks ago!!!) so I didnt have many options but felt I had to start college this year or I'd never do it! I suppose I can always change next Feb if needs be but I was hoping to get into the line of work as a sound/visual engineer for TV / Radio.... will this course help do u think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

If you're living in Salthill the quickest way via public transport to get to GMIT main campus is to hop on the number 8 bus which takes you from Salthill into town and then out towards Mervue. Get off just after the Huntsman Inn roundabout and then walk - it's about 10-15 mins walk from there.

I went to GMIT but did Film so we got put down in our own film/art pot-smoking campus down in Wellpark. Great craic!

The courses change syllabus all the time. what i did was a cert, then diploma in electronic engineering and then on to a degree in digital and software systems. I think your course is new but i'm sure the content will be the same. Maybe you should have researched it a bit mate :D . There's a huge emphasis on programming so i'm not sure if it'll help ya in terms of sound/visual engineering. Although sayin that i did make a guitar amp for my 3rd year project but that was about it. I'm still lookin for work but a couple of the lads got jobs as design engineers in Analog devices in Limerick. Hope this was some help.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Kazooie wrote:
    The courses change syllabus all the time. what i did was a cert, then diploma in electronic engineering and then on to a degree in digital and software systems. I think your course is new but i'm sure the content will be the same. Maybe you should have researched it a bit mate . There's a huge emphasis on programming so i'm not sure if it'll help ya in terms of sound/visual engineering. Although sayin that i did make a guitar amp for my 3rd year project but that was about it. I'm still lookin for work but a couple of the lads got jobs as design engineers in Analog devices in Limerick. Hope this was some help.

Just finished said course, waste of time if you want to get into sound/visual engineering. Its more aimed towards real time based/application based programming. It has been changed a great deal because of the drop out rate (made easier). My class started in first year with 126 people and ended with 18 of which about 12 or so made it through from first year:)

You should have researched it!

Advertisement