Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life in Cork

Options
  • 17-08-2006 2:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Cork next week and I need to find somewhere to live pretty soon. Going hunting this weekend. Any suggestions on areas to avoid? It will be city centre or Bishopstown area most likely ... any Estates I should avoid? Or dingy streets of the City?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

moved from AH.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

EDIT : Moved

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Avooid Mahon, mayfield,

Wilton is good

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Togher, Mayfield, Hollyhill/Knocknaheeny, Mahon.

Wilton is okay. Most of the city centre is okay enough to walk around in but obviously night time is a different story as with everywhere else and extreme caution and maybe a can of mace should be used.

Weekend nights in the city centre are fairly mad - avoid the Fountain on Grand Parade and Daunt Square. The side streets would be fairly dodgy obviously at weekends.

When you have found a place post and I'm sure we'll be able to provide places to avoid in the area:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

delop wrote:
    Avooid Mahon, mayfield,

Wilton is good

Or preferably avoid clowns like delop and deer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Deer

Or preferably avoid clowns like delop and deer

Excuse me? I have plenty of experience in living in a lot of those areas and am well in my rights to post that judging by my own personal experience.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

Why am i a clown, please qualify? I did live there for 3 years, 7 years past, but maybe it was a bad suggestion :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

Thanks for the replies... very helpfull. I think its a reasonable question ... I'm from Dundalk and I can recommend avoiding Bridge street ... its not that I'm juding bridge street... I just value my life.

I haven't a clue of anywhere in Cork so its nice to get some advice. I think its gonna be on the Southside cause my bf is going to CIT (and hopefully me too.. fingers crossed for Monday) ... no job lined up yet... all is sort of in the air. Gotto find a place first.

At least now I have an idea of places to be cautious off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

my fiancé is from cork city (friars walk) and i lived over w/ him for a year before i dragged him back to canada w/ me :).
    never once was i afraid to walk around town (city centre) by myself!
    such a shame you've had to experience something like that :(

in any case, i always loved bishopstown and wilton, douglas is lovely, city centre (the western road isn't too bad and where alot of the uni's are) and friars walk of course ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Nina_Angelica

daveirl wrote:

yep, agree w/ that entirely.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Well, if you're heading to the CIT, then I'd recommend Wilton, Bishopstown. Parts of Togher are fine too, as are Ballyphehane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

whats daft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭zeusnero

www.daft.ie - great site for finding accomodation in ireland

thanks.. that site is a great help

I ended up on Gerald Griffin street. Looked at a place on the lower Glanmire road... don't fancy there much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Probably a bit late now.. but I would have called Gerald Griffin St. an area to avoid, while the Lower Road isn't a bad place.

Advertisement