Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving a newly bought car

Options
  • 17-08-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    my brother just bought a new car. He isn't insured on it yet and doesn't really know how to drive either. If my insurance allows me to drive cars that belong to other people with their permission, is it all the same whether or not they are insured on that car?

Also, what would happen if a) I was at fault for an accident and b) somebody else was at fault that 1) didn't go through insurance claim and 2) did?

Any feedback appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Your insurance may only cover third party on other cars and not fully comp. It would be best to check with your insurer before driving another car.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Im 99.999% sure that the car has to be insured so you would not be covered to drive it on your insurance, check your policy, each one is different, but I have never had one that would allow it. My current policy allows me to drive other cars but there are limitations, it cannot be owned by someone a spouse, it has to be insured by the owner etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Usually your cover would require that a seperate policy already exists on the vehicle. But as crosstownk said, check with your insurer. policies differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I'm insured with AXA and have cover to drive other cars as long as its not my wifes car. The other car has to be taxed and NCT'd if over 4 years old, it does not have to be insured as my. insurance is transferring onto it but 3rd party only. you should check with your own insurer

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Rang up Britton Insurance (my insurer) and it's fine to drive it :)

Anyone know about the accident thingy though?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

It's pretty much the same as having 3rd party on you own car. If an accident is your fault your insurance covers the other persons damage, you have to cover your brothers cars damage yourself. If you're not at fault the other person pays.

Ok that's good thaks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If he hasn't insured it yet then how does it have an insurance disc? Regardless of you actually being insured - the car needs a disc.

I love the way they do it in india. The car is insured and anybody can drive it!

Really? That's mad!

That's what I was wondering about the whole disc thing, I was going to bring my disc in the car but didn't want to get another fine for not having my disc in mine:mad:

The lady in Britton Insurance said it's ok for me on my policy to drive a car that is not insured with permission of the owner. Sure what way would garage owners work it then? They wouldn't have a disc for every car they own, their insurance policy would just cover them for driving all the cars, but with only one disc, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have trade plates that they stick in each car as needed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement