Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny Property

Options
  • 17-08-2006 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi Folks,
    I’m looking at buying an apartment in Kilkenny for a little over 220,000.
    Is this good/bad for Kilkenny?
    Where are the good and bad places?
    I live and work in Dublin but my firm may move to Kilkenny in the next year.
    In the short term I’m thinking of it as an investment.
    Is it worth it in Kilkenny?
    It seems to be a very prosperous place, nice city etc but compared to Carlow and Waterford there’s not a huge amount of third level/industry.
    Is Kilkenny likely to become an even more ‘happening’ place in the next few years?
    Is there much development going on there? What’s the opportunity for renting and income from it?
    If the 'bubble' was to burst how likely would Kilkenny be to suffer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Kilkenny certainly is lagging behind Carlow and Waterford development-wise, but there are a number of developments going on. A LOT of new apartments have appeared over the last 2 years or so, and there's 2 shopping centre projects going on at the moment. Work is going on (slowly) on extending the ring road (which isn't even a semi circle in reality) too.

Dunno about property prices, but I hear Kilkenny is one of the most expensive places outside Dublin to buy in (in town at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Hi Folks,
    I’m looking at buying an apartment in Kilkenny for a little over 220,000.
    Is this good/bad for Kilkenny?
    Where are the good and bad places?
    I live and work in Dublin but my firm may move to Kilkenny in the next year.
    In the short term I’m thinking of it as an investment.
    Is it worth it in Kilkenny?
    It seems to be a very prosperous place, nice city etc but compared to Carlow and Waterford there’s not a huge amount of third level/industry.
    Is Kilkenny likely to become an even more ‘happening’ place in the next few years?
    Is there much development going on there? What’s the opportunity for renting and income from it?
    If the 'bubble' was to burst how likely would Kilkenny be to suffer?

On property in Kilkenny, the city and county has not (thankfully) had the same level of commuter demand as other Leinster counties, probably 'cos we're further from Dublin. Thus price rises and estate development have not been as strong as elsewhere in Leinster. Thus I reckon the market here is a good bit steadier than elsewhere- i.e. demand from commuters is'nt the main driver of growth and demand, which is a good thing.There is less likely of a bubble 'crash' in KK, something which is more likely in the counties that have gone all out to attract commuters, say like Laois and Westmeath.

On KK itself, it has come a long way in recent years thanks to local iniatives and private development- the same however cannot be said for local services and infrastructure which are truly awful. The road network is without doubt the worst in Leinster if not Ireland. This is slowly changing for the better with the planned N9 dual carriageway commencing construction soon.
    There is no third level facility in KK, but with proper high quality efficient road link to Carlow, Dublin, Waterford it shouldn't be such a disadvantage in future.

Where in KK is your property?The area around the railway station is an up and coming area, with significan development (commercial and residential) under construction or in the pipeline.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

220,000? My ma sold our 3 bed house in Kilkenny (Castlecomer road) for €320,000 about a month ago.

John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

hehe I'll sell u my apartment !

depends what apartments you're looking at, some seem very overpriced size wise etc
    paying for a "location" thats artificial really

e.g. my apartment is close to both the new shopping developments, quite lge bedrooms in comparison to others yet siginificantly cheaper than price you quoted

Advertisement