Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP networking issue

Options
  • 17-08-2006 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a problem with a couple of machines which I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on.

The network in question has a Windows 2000 domain server. There are a mix of different clients, Windows 98, 2000 and two XP Pro machines. (All shielded CAT5 cabling 100Mb 3Com swith)

The problem is with the XP machines displaying a certain shared folder on the server. This folder has 1400+ sub folders inside it. When the XP machines try to access this folder the little flashlight comes up and it can take up to a minute for the contents to appear. On Windows 98 the folder opens up really fast and the contents are immediately displayed. The 2000 machines are a bit slower, but nowhere near as slow as the XP ones.

Has anyone seen anything similar or know what the craic is with this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Could be security issue, firewall or anti-virus slowing things down on the client machines. Or something else in the local policies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Does it contain images video ...... If its something that creates thumbnails.

Sysinternals tools are ideal to figure out whats going on.

try http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/filemon.html

may help you figure it out may not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Windows firewall is turned off on each machine as the whole network is covered by a firewall. Easch machine is running McAfee antivirus software.
    I'll have to look and see if the antivirus is affecting it. I'll also try the filemon.
    There are no video file involved. There are mainly word documents in each folder.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

Thanks for the replies lads. Still no luck tho.

When I run filemon it does show me something interesting. I have a feeling that XP is finding out what is in each and every folder before it displays the list, wheras windows 98/2000 is not doing anything so "useful". I'll have to see if I can find something to stop this behaviour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement