Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my RAID 0 working right?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

I'm not saying you haven't provided any information or help. But you have packaged it in, yes, an elitist context. Instead of just giving your information regarding SATA drives, RAIDs and tweaking them you had to flame about the absurdity of posting such a question in the first place. Usually when I do search for the answer to a question, I end up mostly with replies to other threads started in other forums, so I thought instead of just looking for other peoples experiences with SATA drives and RAIDs (again I was looking for comparisons not wiki data) I would get the experiences off the users on the forum I use. The funny thing is if you hadn't of bothered to come back and flame in this thread it would no longer be swamping the top of this forum but would quickly be moving down onto the next page as my question had been answered.

It is you who are being ironic, complaining about pointless threads swamping this forum, while by replying to this "pointless thread" you are keeping it swamping this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I think SyxPak may have been a bit elitist in his replies, but....

Expecting hard drives to run at their interface speed is probably the single most noob-ish thing someone can do. Try go reading the komplett reviews of hard drives, where all the drives are marked down because they don't run at full interface speed. It's like stabbing yourself in the face with a screwdriver. It really is absolutely basic.

To try and be a bit helpful, I'd suggest
    www.storagereview.com - best HDD reviews around
    and
    http://www.hardforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29 - HDD forum, read and learn lots

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Hey i've no problem admitting it was a n00b question. But like you said the burst speed isn't possible to maintain always on the drive, I just expected it to be closer to the rated burst speed for the drive. I now know otherwise.

The only reason I usually post a question in a thread is because i'll be looking something else up at the same time and just want a quick answer to a question, the only reason I asked in the first place was because my harddrive was making some really loud seeking noises and my wireless mouse kept freezing up and I was worried that one of the drives in the RAID might fail, so as I was doing diagnostics, error checking and some virus/adware scans I just posted this thread to find out if my harddrive was performing to spec.

Turns out I had a virus and also for some reason everytime the HDD would perform a seek operation it would somehow interfer with the RF signal getting to my mouse (don't ask me why), I put the USB dongle on an extension cord away from the PC and the problem was solved. Also posting my hijackthis log on another forum got my virus removed, and my seek noise has gone thanks to the AAM being enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

*sigh*

Cool, glad things worked out.

Please remember to run a few searches on terms related to the issue before posting in future. That's all I ask.

I don't like using the word, but n00bish questions push 'proper' threads down the page, and as a result the SNR of the board falls.

I'm really cuddly below the smooth sultry exterior.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

one decent thing about the benchie you got though is an example of how much CPU softRAID eats up.

7% :eek:

• Advertisement
Advertisement