Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When will Ireland surpass Italia 90?

• 17-08-2006 3:47pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭

When do you see Irish football getting back on track and putting up a decent performance at a World Cup again? i.e. when do you think we can get to the 1/4 finals again as in Italia 90, or better, if ever.

When will Ireland surpass or equal Italia 90's 1/4 final place? 17 votes

0% 0 votes
    29% 5 votes
    5% 1 vote
    23% 4 votes
    0% 0 votes
    5% 1 vote
    17% 3 votes
    5% 1 vote
    0% 0 votes
    Never in my lifetime
    11% 2 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BossArky wrote:
    When do you see Irish football getting back on track and putting up a decent performance at a World Cup again? i.e. when do you think we can get to the 1/4 finals again as in Italia 90, or better, if ever.
    When we get some decent players.
    People forget that the Irish team of 87-93 contained some of the best players in their positions in Europe at the time.
    It was a very very good team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

BossArky wrote:
    Irish football getting back on track and putting up a decent performance at a World Cup again?

By getting back on track do you mean recruiting every English/Scottish man who claims to be Irish in order to play at International level?

And by a decent performace, do you mean scoring 2 goals in 5 games, one of which was scored in a meaningless games Vs the Dutch where both teams knew a draw would have them both progress (just to note, 3 of the 4 teams in our group progressed that time). And, If im not mistaken we only missed out on playing eventual chamipns - West Germany in the round of 16, by random draw?

I would argue Irish football was never 'on track'. We, as a nation, have punched well above our weight for 20 years (ish), and have been lucky that there have been some great Irish players available, like McGrath, Roy Keane, Duff, Bonner, Niall Quinn, Frank Stapleton and Ronnie Whelan. The rest where good players, who if we are being brutally honest, were not good enough to play for their first choice country ie England.

However, that aside, the country did relatively well, for a few years, but there was nothing done by anyone to make sure such perfomances on the international stage could be sustained. We were promised stadium after stadia by every high ranking politician in July 1990. Still waiting guys.

There is only one club in the country who has sustained success in providing decent players to the eL or England, and that is Cherry Orchard - a feeder club to Man fúcking City. Its in teams and places like this where the FAI should step in, provide finace, and prevent the teenage player brain drain to the UK. I know most will end uup ther eventually, but why not take a leaf out of Swedens book for that.

So, to answer the original question - irish football will only match/surpass 1990 once the FAI and our government actually try and help the game in this country, and not by piggy backing off other associations. It may take 20 years, but I would be quite happy with that, as long as a structure is in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

I doubt we ever will, not in my life time anyway. 2002 was our best chance & the players did us proud to get to the 2nd round & they had alot of pressure on them with the whole Keane/ McCarthy thing. With the way things look at the moment I cant seeing us doing much. The next World Cup will be in 2010 we wont have enough time to sort things out for that & by the time its over Keane & Duff are two best players since Roy Keane will be past it & well be waiting for another miracle to come along. And also the state of the national league dosent help matters either. The FAI really need to get there act together before we can think of qualifying for something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

tdv wrote:
    well be waiting for another miracle to come along.

Not a iracle, just a well structured plan. Only the FAI can do this. No point in blaming the domestic league either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

A well structured plan carried out by the FAI would be a miracle

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

To be honest I think we can do better than we have for the last 10 years in the next 10 years, we have a lot of good young talent coming through at Premiership and Championship level clubs who will make the step up in the next 2-3 years, Whelan, McCarty, McShane, Sheehan, Stokes, Potter, Kelly, O'Brien, Henderson, Dixon and a fair few others all look like premiership potnetial, and if even half of the Irish talent at clubs in the first and second tier of english club football become as good as they could then we have a chance to add to our current squad intime for the enxt world cup, the euro championships may be too soon, but feck it, use the qualifiers to give new players a chane, the same way Toshack has said he will with Wales, look to the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

tdv wrote:
    A well structured plan carried out by the FAI would be a miracle

:D

Who knows when it will happen, I would just be happy competing with the teams to qualify for tournaments for now

gimmick wrote:
    Not a iracle, just a well structured plan. Only the FAI can do this. No point in blaming the domestic league either.

you're right actually, if we built a national acadmey and kept players here untill atleast 16-17 and then let them decide where to go then we can guarentee that up till that age they get proper training, develop as much as they can with thie rown interests at heart and even if a lot of players go abroad after wards the players that don't travle will be of a caliber that will make the national better as a result.

The FAI could get major contanential clubs involved in the coaching by bringing over coaches for periods and in return the clubs get a chance to scout players, a lot fo counties have this agreement and it helps fund the facility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

2034 will be our year! trust me! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Seaneh wrote:
    To be honest I think we can do better than we have for the last 10 years in the next 10 years, we have a lot of good young talent coming through at Premiership and Championship level clubs who will make the step up in the next 2-3 years, Whelan, McCarty, McShane, Sheehan, Stokes, Potter, Kelly, O'Brien, Henderson, Dixon and a fair few others all look like premiership potnetial, and if even half of the Irish talent at clubs in the first and second tier of english club football become as good as they could then we have a chance to add to our current squad intime for the enxt world cup, the euro championships may be too soon, but feck it, use the qualifiers to give new players a chane, the same way Toshack has said he will with Wales, look to the future.

Do my eyes deceive me ? A post from seaneh about the talent ireland has available and no lee trundle mentioned ???
    Congrtulations Sean, you finally realised showboating is not a worthwhile position in the irish team ;);):D

as for how i think we'll do, we'll definately qualify for world cups again, but i think its going to be a very very long time before we reach the dizzy heights of the quarter finals :(

• Advertisement

Do my eyes deceive me ? A post from seaneh about the talent ireland has available and no lee trundle mentioned ???
    Congrtulations Sean, you finally realised showboating is not a worthwhile position in the irish team ;);):D

as for how i think we'll do, we'll definately qualify for world cups again, but i think its going to be a very very long time before we reach the dizzy heights of the quarter finals :(

Still think he is good enough, just don't think Stan will pick him, and he is anything but "just a showbaoter" he was the 3rd top scorer and 2nd highest assists in league one last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The_B_Man wrote:
    2034 will be our year! trust me! ;)

not likely, 2033 is the year of Jesus's second comming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

not likely, 2033 is the year of Jesus's second comming!

yeah but he's coming back irish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Who knows? Four years before the aforementioned WC 90 1/4 final Ireland were playing in front of just 12,000 people at Lansdowne losing at home 4-1 to Denmark.

International footy isn't like the club game. Things can chance very quickly. If you picked 2010 I wouldn't even accuse you of being mad.

Advertisement