Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine or BT

• 17-08-2006 4:05pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I was just looking for some advice on broadband service. I've heard a lot of scare stories about BT but I think they may still be the best option for me.

My first choice would have been smart but they are not available in my area. Second choice was NTL - same problem.

I dont think the landlord would be too impressed with me going down the line of getting digiweb metro as it involves an aerial and a lot of cabling.

I am leaning towards BT has imagine dont seem to offer anything above 1mb (could be wrong here) whereas BT do and the DL limit is quite a bit higher on the 2mb package.

any advice would be very much appreaciated ..

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

BT or Digiweb are best for 2Mbit not Imagine , same price of €29.99 a month.

Digiweb DSL has a proper billing system and comprehensible and accurate bills

BT bills are gobble of the highest order, even if accurate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Digiweb DSL appears to be more expensive when you include the cost of Line rental (around 54) whereas BT seem to have a deal involving line rental + 2mb broadband for 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

BT are best on bundled line rental price, but you takes your chances on the billing. Just keep an eye on the bills and if they try to over charge contact them immediately. If you get nowhere with them then cancel your direct debit at the bank and inform BT that you have done so and won't re-instate it till they sort the bill out. You are under absolutely no obligation to pay an erroneous bill. You have to pay what you owe, but not more.

Also, BT may ask for a deposit since you rent your house. When signing up it's best to lie and say you're the home owner. They have no way to prove otherwise.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I love the way your advice involves cancelling Direct Debits directly and lying on the application .... good job :)

if you do not want stressful billing then Digiweb may be best for you.

with eircom 2Mbit DSL and Line Rental is €64.15 a month
    with digiweb 2Mbit DSL and Line Rental is €54 a month
    with BT 2Mbit DSL and Line Rental is €45 a month

the first 2 have accurate billing and no deposit that I know of for renters .

the third one has a history although they have improved dramatically in the past 3 or 4 months but only under EXTREME pressure on this Board and from Boards members. Its too early to say they have sorted themselves out yet.

They will also ask you for a deposit of €120 or €125 because you rent (€20 a month upfront on a 6 month contract basis ) which is refunded at the end of the 6 months.

• Advertisement

Ok, that sounds good. I still think 54 a month is a bit much. In my last place I had smart telecom for 35 pm with no DL limit and no deposit etc. I'll first have to see if theres a working phone line. Eircom are saing it costs 24.99 to reconnect and no guarentee if it will be suitable after I do that.

before you do

plug phone in, if there is any dialtone ish noise then dial 199000 a number will be spoken back , this works on all eircom lines .

see if that number passes in the line test database

if it passes then ring it, if it does not ring its the old number from your flat and has not been transferred but it does pass historically despite being 'disconnected'.

try to get a service on that basis , it may be quicker than waiting for or asking for a test.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭EIN

Sponge Bob wrote:

the third one has a history although they have improved dramatically in the past 3 or 4 months but only under EXTREME pressure on this Board and from Boards members. Its too early to say they have sorted themselves out yet.

They will also ask you for a deposit of €120 or €125 because you rent (€20 a month upfront on a 6 month contract basis ) which is refunded at the end of the 6 months.

i have used bt in the past and experienced problems with billing. errors on bills and taking more that what was due by DD. moved away from them for a bit and recently moved back...thought they had improved....

i spend an hour on the phone today to try and sort out another BT bill with errors on it... it was double what it should be... its too much work these days for me to keep ringing them with errors on their bills.

i never know what to expect with bt billing. so i am going to cancel my service asap... at least with eircom you know where you stand regarding billing and get correct bills.

EIN wrote:
    i never know what to expect with bt billing. so i am going to cancel my service asap... at least with eircom you know where you stand regarding billing and get correct bills.

The big difference is that BT have recently resourced their complaints department to stop this gob****tery from going on and on and on .

email complaints@btireland.ie and see what happens rather than speak to their front liners or the front liners managers :( who always seem to be in meetings and never take escalations .

Eircom front line on 1901 is equally awful you will admit.

Tell us how it goes please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Timeisluck

I think imagine offer the best deal, 1mb for 9.99 per month. Digiweb are 22 i think. Both cheaper than eircom, no suprise there though. Imagine do offer 2/3 mb products also as far as I can see, but 9.99 for always on suits me just fine and have had no probelms to date (Feb 06)..I know you have to take thier call package but that is also 9.99 a month for all of may calls and this suits me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Timeisluck

Sponge Bob wrote:

imagine are at 20 for 2mb + line at 24, so not bad
    irish broadband are about 18 i think but not great connection i here...

Advertisement