Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BF2142 Beta Testing Begins

• 17-08-2006 4:06pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Greetings!

Welcome to the Battlefield 2142 Tuning Beta. This is your official invitation to join us in play testing our latest Battlefield creation. As part of our VIP list you will be among the first to experience our new Titan Game Mode in full ranked play against other public players.....

The VIP keys were sent out today so let me know if there are any other beta testers here in boards.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

I didn't get any beta key! Im fecking disgusted! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well im not. Those people who wil be beta testing the game will wana be one patient bunch, Im agine how buggy the game will be before release. It will be much much worse than 1.3

And ive said it before, I wont get excited about any game that dont have ak`s and m16`s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Sgt. Politeness

And ive said it before, I wont get excited about any game that dont have ak`s and m16`s.

can i get a hell yeah??

Oh and BF series = another quality game series turned into ridiculous EA cash cow and losing credibilty because of it. F*ck 2142.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

can i get a hell yeah??

Oh and BF series = another quality game series turned into ridiculous EA cash cow and losing credibilty because of it. F*ck 2142.

Have you played it?

To speed things up I'll inform you that the answer is "no". So shut up.

They're under absolutely no obligation to make patches for any of their games, they only do it to keep us happy and maintain their reputation. If they liked they could just keep churning games out, not release a single patch and probably make just as much money because of teen-kiddies buying everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Zillah wrote:
    Have you played it?

They're under absolutely no obligation to make patches for any of their games, they only do it to keep us happy and maintain their reputation. If they liked they could just keep churning games out, not release a single patch and probably make just as much money because of teen-kiddies buying everything.

Ohhh.. I think i just seen a handbag flying through the air...

• Advertisement

Keyzer wrote:
    Ohhh.. I think i just seen a handbag flying through the air...

You want some of this too? Huh? HUH?!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I'd reply only I'm too busy playing BF2142 :p

Actually when I say playing I kinda mean de-bugging :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

seems to be a bunch of gameplay vids on youtube, but i'm not sure if they're beta testers or just gamespot vids (sans tag on the bottom corner)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jonski

Zillah wrote:

Do you not think this would get old pretty fast ?

This is a whole different conversation , the old " we except unfinished software but expect it to be fixed while we use it debate " which is usually argued with the " would you buy a car ( or a toaster for that matter ) if you though it didn't work but would be fixed while you are driving ( toasting with ) it "

We buy , we know it will probably need a patch , we get the patch and maybe a few more , we buy again . In this instance some got more burned than usual . People rented servers for 3 months and using them proved extremely difficult , frustrating and costly , this , for me , was unexpected . I would be very wary of buying into this francise again , but then the celtic tiger seems to have passed me by , maybe if I had disposable income I wouldn't give it a second thought .

Zillah wrote:
    You want some of this too? Huh? HUH?!

Bring it on fool... :D

• Advertisement

Picture Of the Support Sheild In Action.

932358_20060817_screen002.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

This makes me want to buy a new graphics card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's Tribes.

This is a good thing.

Seen some maps on youtube, they look very boring and bleak.
    Are they just maps for demo purposes?

No idea. There's only one map provided with the beta.

Zillah wrote:
    Have you played it?

Have you played it either? No?? Yeah i thought not, so think about that before telling me to shut up. Last time i checked it was okay to express an opinion.
    And have you ever even played anything other than BF2? Bit of vietnam maybe? Some 1942? DC? No? No? BFV WW2 mod maybe?
    F*ckin bf2 fanbois. You play bf2 for a few weeks and think its the be all and end all and you know everything about the BF series.
    And yes they are obliged to release patches when they release games as broken as BF2 was, otherwise noone would buy the games in the first place.

And yes they are obliged to release patches when they release games as broken as BF2 was, otherwise noone would buy the games in the first place.

You were going pretty well up until there. Zillah's point remains correct. They don't have to release patches. Of course not releasing patches would be suicide but it's still their choice.

Ponster wrote:
    You were going pretty well up until there. Zillah's point remains correct. They don't have to release patches. Of course not releasing patches would be suicide but it's still their choice.

Can you imagine if EA never relased patches though? The games shelf life would be about 6 months shorter for one thing, as people would get sick of the problems with the games and give up. Remeber the M60/LAW kit in BFV 1.1? If that hadnt been changed the game wouldve been dead after 2 months. And as it is, BF2 is STILL in a f*ckin shambles after what, 3 patches?? Try playing 1.0 now and tell me they're not obliged to release patches. Punishing commander for artillery TK's? Fine, noone goes commander so!
    Yes thy dont HAVE to, but if they didnt, thier games would be dead in the water.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

Ponster wrote:
    they may not be obliged to release patches but if they release a buggy product and expect people to deal with it, they would ultimately lose sells which is all they care about. Also bf is a franchise which is relying on customers who buy it because they enjoyed a previous version.

And as it is, BF2 is STILL in a f*ckin shambles after what, 3 patches??

3? it's like 7 i'd say :D

anyway, anyone beta testing got any positive reviews? or videos? or torrents? (maybe not torrents, that be illegal, yarr)

• Advertisement

Here's a positive thing.

It would appear that there's a LOT more code or something being controlled at the server side. As bugs are being reported, DICE are fixing them without having to touch the clients. Sure this doesn't apply to all bugs but glitches (e.g. the Karkand one) is fixable serverside in BF2142.

Have you played it either? No?? Yeah i thought not, so think about that before telling me to shut up.

Unlike you I didn't make an opinion on the game that neither of us has played. So whos the fool? I have no idea how good it will be.
    Last time i checked it was okay to express an opinion.

I get irked when people make completely baseless opinions.
    And have you ever even played anything other than BF2? Bit of vietnam maybe? Some 1942? DC? No? No? BFV WW2 mod maybe?

Uh yeah I played BF1942 quite a lot right from the start actually. You really need to check your information sources before you make more "opinions".
    F*ckin bf2 fanbois. You play bf2 for a few weeks and think its the be all and end all and you know everything about the BF series.

Again, I didn't claim to know anything about the BF series, I just pointed out that you are in no position to make an informed opinion on the unreleased game that you havn't played. So whos the fanboi? The guy irrationally condeming a game series thats changing from the originals or the guy pointing out that he's talking out his ass? Hmm....

And I've been playing BF2 for a year now. You really need better contacts dude. (EDIT: Just checked my stats actually, it was exactly a year on the 18th.)

So they should, they're still not obliged. They made a product, you bought it. End of. If they decide to be nice and make you like them they make patches to improve a product you've already paid for.
    anyway, anyone beta testing got any positive reviews? or videos? or torrents? (maybe not torrents, that be illegal, yarr)

Torrents aren't illegal, they're just used for illegal stuff a lot of the time.

Zillah wrote:
    I get irked when people make completely baseless opinions.
    Baseless? So having played the bf series since its inception, and seeing how badly they supported the most popular game of the series so far, and being sceptical of the new iteration of the bf franchise is 'baseless'?

Yeah, i remeber the 300mb patch that wouldnt let you install unless you had 3GIGS free on your hard drive, which forced me to repartition my HDD just to f*ckin install it.
    What about the the patches that actually increased the number of CTD's?
    Even something as simple as the Red/Blue bug thet they STILL havent even fixed. How fu*king difficult is it to make enemies show up as enemies?
    So yeah, the futures looking positively fu*king ROSY for 2142 innit??

Anyway, your opinion is about as important as dogsh!t to me Zillah, youre a bf2 fanboi, so say what you like, i could'nt care less.

You didn't have to repartition, you just had to change a key in the registry.

The red/blue tag problem isn't easy to find. You don't appear to be a coder so don't get to have any opinion in the world as to if it's an easy or hard thing to fix.

Baseless? So having played the bf series since its inception, and seeing how badly they supported the most popular game of the series so far, and being sceptical of the new iteration of the bf franchise is 'baseless'?

Oh being sceptical is fine, its a good thing. Randomly condeming a game you havn't played because you're feeling a bit pissy at EA is silly.
    Yeah, i remeber the 300mb patch that wouldnt let you install unless you had 3GIGS free on your hard drive, which forced me to repartition my HDD just to f*ckin install it.
    What about the the patches that actually increased the number of CTD's?
    Even something as simple as the Red/Blue bug thet they STILL havent even fixed. How fu*king difficult is it to make enemies show up as enemies?
    So yeah, the futures looking positively fu*king ROSY for 2142 innit??

We won't know until the game is out will we?
    Anyway, your opinion is about as important as dogsh!t to me Zillah, youre a bf2 fanboi, so say what you like, i could'nt care less.

Do you actually understand the term "fanboy"? It refers to someone that has a relatively baseless and yet fanatical support for something. So in reference to you calling me a fanboy, either you have me confused with someone else or you're just spewing shite, which isn't suprising at all considering the kind of things you've said so far on this thread.

Zillah wrote:
    Torrents aren't illegal, they're just used for illegal stuff a lot of the time.

that's what i mean, in this case discussing a bf2142 torrent would be illegal :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Ponster, what sort of spec are we (realistically) looking at, to make this game playable?

that's what i mean, in this case discussing a bf2142 torrent would be illegal :D

Oh right I thought you meant for the videos you mentioned ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭PrivateSmokey

This tread is gone to Sh*t:mad:.... and they give out about NRG & TIG LMFAO, even ban some of us.

Splurting sh*t at each other over something that you cant actualy fix is point less, its certanly not constructive as its mainly about BF2/patch issues this tread is about 2141 Beta not BF2 not patches not EA, 2142 Beta!!!

If People are warey of 2142 dont buy it straight away,let it run for a week or two see what people have to say about the release then deside.

anyway, anyone beta testing got any positive/negitave reviews.

• Advertisement

Ponster; whats the steps to get beta testing 2142 or have you a link u can post:D

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Ponster, what sort of spec are we (realistically) looking at, to make this game playable?

given it's the same engine and all, surely if you run bf2, you'll run 2142?

Private, At the moment there are about 500 people testing the beta. It's in it's 'tuning' phase to iron out the bugs before the real testing begins later. At the moment some servers are crashing like 1.3 but there have been several fixes since Thursday already.

News week people who are subscribers to Fileplanet get their hands on it, and then not everyone, just the ones that filled in their question sheet with the 'right' answers.

In 2-3 weeks the beta will be a full, open beta for everyone to download and try. The current phase is just to find the big bugs.

Project, I'd say it's pretty much the same minimum specs but the recommended are higher to follow the fact that BF1 1.0 runs better than BF2 1.3 "Recommended" specs refer to 1.5Gb of memory if I remember correctly.

Ponster wrote:
    Project, I'd say it's pretty much the same minimum specs but the recommended are higher to follow the fact that BF1 1.0 runs better than BF2 1.3 "Recommended" specs refer to 1.5Gb of memory if I remember correctly.

pretty much what i was thinking tbh

i'd say if you're a regular bf2 player you already have the 1.5GB+ ram and the fancy graphics card... because god knows that games needs it

Exactly. If you have no probs with BF2 then 2142 will be fine. The TITAN mission though requires you to be in buildings and there it's just like SF. FPS will take a big hit if you don't have the hardware to run it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ponster wrote:
    Private, At the moment there are about 500 people testing the beta. It's in it's 'tuning' phase to iron out the bugs before the real testing begins later. At the moment some servers are crashing like 1.3 but there have been several fixes since Thursday already.

In 2-3 weeks the beta will be a full, open beta for everyone to download and try. The current phase is just to find the big bugs.

So it's living up to BF2 then.

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Cheers Ponster;)

Well even though it's got a couple of CTD issues it's still difficult to stop playing :)

The scoring system makes it much more fun. if an AT guy pumps 3 shots into a tank yet someone else finishes it off the fist guy still gets Kill Assist points.

The better a squad plays together the more 'squad points' you get. Get to a certain amount and all the members of that squad get a free unlock each that lasts until you either leave the squad or the round ends.

Squad leaders get special unlocks. There are 3 tiers of SL unlocks. In order to take advantage of them a SL needs to have people in his squad. So is a SL wants to use his portable spawn-point goodie he must have someone else with him. If he wants to use his drone-like object that protects him then there must be 3 others in the squad with him.

Cool Unlocks :

Recon (sniper) : Camo kit
    Engineer : Portable AA
    Assualt : Shotgun attachment. Imagine an ak with a DAO strapped on
    Supply : Sentry device. Take a silo, leave a sentry behind to defend it and get the points for what ever kills it makes.

well dice are providing the gamers with a lot of cool things, but i wonder, after 6 months of this being out, will the whole community dismantle the same way bf2 has? (rarely get great squad-play these days, etc.)

the same applies to qw too....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Can you tell us a little more (without breaking your agreement) about the game?

What you like / dislike, cool things you have noticed?

Whats it like to drive a Mech?

Thanks

Ponster wrote:
    Imagine ak with a strap on

AK did ya here what he said :D
    only kidding it sound cool.......not AK with a strap on:rolleyes:
    the special unlocks:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Can you imagine if EA never relased patches though? The games shelf life would be about 6 months shorter for one thing, as people would get sick of the problems with the games and give up.
    And EA would either fade into history (á la Hitler, Stalin, Thatcher) or realise that testing is as important as tits4hire in the tradeshow booth and that developers are also people, not unit-stamping automatrons.

But we're always going to have patches. That is the nature of software. It's fluid and dynamic, particularly on the PC "platform".

Retail launches are straddling the lines between finished product and thinly veiled beta-test.

Something I just discovered this morning :

When you first log into BF2142 you use your EA account to do so (the one you use to log into EA.com or the Ea Downloader) then it gives you a list of your current BF2 nicks associated with the EA login that you can use.

You can't change the country associated with your BF2 nick (mine is stuck on France) but you can with the EA login and that's the one that counts. This is handy as the game has a stat section just like BF2S.com where I can see that there are 6 beta testers from Ireland and I'm 2nd on that list.

My e-penis is massive !

What you like / dislike, cool things you have noticed?

Whats it like to drive a Mech?

The mech reminds me of the mechs in Mechwarrior. You're pretty high up, lots of firepower, but slow-ish to turn around 180°. Very powerful. It'll take a few tanks to take them out or just one hover-tank and a good driver or the good 'ol gunship. They are VERY powerful up close but weaker at long-distance. One recon guy wih C4 and active-aco will take a mech down easily (as long as he doesn't get stood on!)

It's the only thing I can see that only requires 1 person to pilot and fire. Everything else needs 2 (tanks/APC/gunship)

Tanks now *need* 2 people as the driver doesn't have a machine-gun so you need a 2nd person to take care of infantry.

I like :

It takes seconds to log in. No more scanning all the servers in your list of favourites when you log in.

The history list shows you the date and time you last played on a server. Handy when you get a 'lost connection' error and want to reconnect to the qsame server.

I find myself logging in just to see if a 'buddy' has sent me a messge :)

Titan is an objective map which means that you don't defend, you can't win. To encourage this you get points for defending silos and what seems extra points for defending the titan (from within). It means that more often then not, when you try to cap a 'silo', there's be somewhere there defending it.

It's possible now to disable commander chat :) 'Enemy Mech Spotted' x 10,000,000 for example :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ponster wrote:
    It takes seconds to log in. No more scanning all the servers in your list of favourites when you log in.
    Could that also be because there are very few servers to scan anyway?

It's true that there are only 26 test servers up but AFAIK they changed the way it works so that you log in faster.

It's pointless to tell you good/bad things about the server browser as there are few servers so it's not yet under strain but it does seem 'smoother' and doesn't have the look that it was coded by 10-year olds anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Surely 2142 is based on the existing BF2 engine and the core game is effectively the exact same but with new units? If this is the case, the number of bugs will likely be on par with those that exist already in BF2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

The mech reminds me of the mechs in Mechwarrior.

Sweeeeeeeeet thanks :D

If this is the case, the number of bugs will likely be on par with those that exist already in BF2?

It's more glitches and exploits that are being tracked down as opposed to bugs. People are using the pod-jumps in APC's in ways that DiCE never imagined that could be considered an exploit.
    I think their plan is to make their mind up on what is and isn't an exploit so as to avoid serious gameplay changes later on in the life of the game.

The more I read of this the more I want a go...
    How did you get involved? Did you have to pay a subscription fee?

I tested the 1.4 beta patch for about 4 weeks. Sent concise, constructive posts to the devs at DiCE and got chosen for the VIP team by the admins at EA UK forums and Colin Clarke the DICE Global Community Manager.

Luck really as there were only 500 or so of us chosen that didn't have to pass by the FP subscribed system.

• Advertisement
Advertisement